Pleasant Day Trips From Bangkok

missoula

In Bkk you could go to Limpini Park, really nice place with a lake in the middle and an island, you can

buy bread to feed the fish 10bht

sit under a tree and watch the world go by

hire a pedlow boat and go aound the lake 20-40bht

When ever in Bkk I always have a day or a morning in Limpini Park, it is a real break from a busy life style

Depends on what you like. Hua Hin or Cha-am for beaches is probably ok but may be crowded with other BKK weekenders.

Kanchanaburi is close if you want a bit of greenery, temples, waterfalls, lakes etc.

Give Muang Boran ('the Ancient City') a whirl... it is doable by hiring a taxi for the day (they drive you round - it's quite a big place... can take most of a day). For some reason it is not even on the TAT web site... but it is really great. I've been twice, and after the Grand Palace, it's my favourite tourist place around BKK. I can't remember the entrance price, but it was cheap (maybe 300B per person). I also don't remember how much we paid for the taxi for the day, sorry.

Despite what you might read on this forum,Pattaya is good for an over-nighter,easy to get to,2 hours from bangkok,has plenty to do,and some great resort type hotels and restaurants at very good prices.

You don't have to go anywhere near walking street.

Spend a day in pattaya park if you have kids.

Forgot the exact name, but i had a great day out at ???open zoo about 40 m away from pattaya heading to BK

Very very cheap to get in(think 40bht) and i thought it better than Tiger zoo e.t.c

Watch the monkeys though, they attack you! :o l.o.l

The open zoo - I remember seeing the sign for it on the way back to BKK yesterday.

Would you recommend it for kids? (i.e. Is it better than the Dusit Zoo).

The name you guys are looking for is:

Khao Kheow Open Zoo

http://www.zoothailand.org/khaokheow/

It is MUCH better than Dusit Zoo, although some of the exhibits are less than desireable. On the whole, however, it's the best I've seen in Thailand.

On the other topic, Sriracha Tiger Zoo should definitely be avoidedfor the reasons described in:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18112&hl

The Ancient City :D

The Ancient City, like a door opened to the cultural in heritage of Siam. The visitors are able to see the continuity of the history, arts, cultures, religious, thoughts as well as the believes of Thai talents. It shall reflect to Thai fundamentals and the varieties of the cultures on Thai territories.

I have always recco. the A.C.but according to Stickman last week they not only may have hiked their prices but are doing 2 tier swindle.....

It used to be 50Bt for everyone. :D

Tell me its NOT TRUE...please..............no more ripoffs :o:D

I saw that comment from Stickman. Just checked the Ancient City website where it still says 100 baht for adults. No mention that l could see about two tier pricing though l wouldn't be surprised at all if Stickman is correct.

Coolestuk also suggested 300 baht in his post. I was last there about six months ago with a van load of Thais and it was 100 baht for all adults back then.

If you've got kids, there's a few others in NE Bangok

Dream world amusement park - OK amusement park, Thais seem to especially like the building with artificially generated snow, even if they don't all try the sledging.

Safari world - drive-through safari park, and separate area with daily shows - i.e. stunt show, dolphin show, sealion show, bird show, etc. - but the times of the shows change, so unless you get there early, you don't know what you can see that day.

Siam Park (water park is pretty good if you can't get to the beach anyway - especially with cool season coming up, but dream world is better for rides.) - get the season pass if you live here (about the same price as the farang day ticket).

You're right about the snow part being popular at Dreamworld. Funny how l didn't think to suggest Dreamworld as l only have to look out the window to see it. :o

Went to Safari World a little while ago. I was surprised at the huge number of animals there. I've never seen a place that had 40 giraffes before.

Koh Kred, the island in the Chaopraya River off of Pakkret, Nonthaburi, can be a pleasant enough daytrip. You can walk all the way around the island, leisurely taking in the various sights, in a couple hours. You'll forget you're so close to Bangkok -- that's the best thing.