Living In Udon Thani; What Is It Like?

hans1977

To those who have some experience of living in Udon Thani,

I'm in the process that might result in a job in Udon Thani. So if i get the opportunity to work there and decide to get on with it, i'll have to move there as well. What is it like to live there? In particular i'm interested in the following:

- A natuaral place serving good coffee (i like coffee from Brazil).

- A big (at least 25 meters long) and not crowded swinmming pool to go to.

- A good place to by electronical components.

- A good place to buy computer parts.

- A good place to by English magazines and books (particularly on computers)

Best regards,

Hans

I'm in the process that might result in a job in Udon Thani. So if i get the opportunity to work there and decide to get on with it, i'll have to move there as well. What is it like to live there? In particular i'm interested in the following:

Best regards,

Hans

1)No,but you could acquire a taste for Lao coffee.I did.

2)No,small AND crowded.

3)No,but 120Km away is Khonkaen.

4)See above.

5)No,would like to know myself.

Have a good time in Udon. :o

Christ! Are you sure? :o

Well, the Lao coffee isn't too bad...

The worst thing is the swimming pool, then, all the other things can be solved by the Thai Post Service, maybe...

/Hans

Best regards,

Hans

1)No,but you could acquire a taste for Lao coffee.I did.

2)No,small AND crowded.

3)No,but 120Km away is Khonkaen.

4)See above.

5)No,would like to know myself.

Have a good time in Udon. :D

Best regards,

Hans

1. One Black Canyon (at Tesco) & a number of Bon Cafe shops available. Never tried either, I brew my own.

2. Napoli hotel has big pool, sufficient for lap swimming. Also, large kiddie pool so it doesn't get overrun with kids. Best to go before noon. 60bt fee (bring your own towel).

3. Chorensri shopping complex has good selection of electronic, as well as Homepro, Index Living Mall and other shops throughout town.

4. A lot IT shops around town and the shopping complex, specialty stuff or hard to find may need to road trip to KK.

5. Bookstore on first floor of the shopping complex opposite SBC bank has limited supply of English reading material.

Best to post your question on Udonmap forum for more informative replies.

I'd rather go down your road, brewing my own coffee, than going to Black Canyon or Bon Cafe... :o

Anyway, the electronic components i mean are IC circuits, resistors, capacitors etc.

/Hans

Best regards,

Hans

1. One Black Canyon (at Tesco) & a number of Bon Cafe shops available. Never tried either, I brew my own.

2. Napoli hotel has big pool, sufficient for lap swimming. Also, large kiddie pool so it doesn't get overrun with kids. Best to go before noon. 60bt fee (bring your own towel).

3. Chorensri shopping complex has good selection of electronic, as well as Homepro, Index Living Mall and other shops throughout town.

4. A lot IT shops around town and the shopping complex, specialty stuff or hard to find may need to road trip to KK.

5. Bookstore on first floor of the shopping complex opposite SBC bank has limited supply of English reading material.

I'd rather go down your road, brewing my own coffee, than going to Black Canyon or Bon Cafe... :o

Anyway, the electronic components i mean are IC circuits, resistors, capacitors etc.

/Hans

Best regards,

Hans

The coffee available at Tesco or Big C are not the greatest, but after experimenting with different blends I got it down to mixing 2 brands to achieve something tasteful.

There's a shop on the first floor of the Big C shopping center that has an electronic shop. They've got all sorts of electronic gizmo's and such. I've seen similar to what you're asking, but don't have any idea what's it's for.

Edited by rito

For anyone wanting to move here I recommend Khan Kean :o

Yes you can find all those things here just have to look for them. Pool try the fitness college last time I was there it was 20 baht to use the facilities. Olympic size pool.

Computer shops just about everywhere you look. So parts should be easy to find.

It's slow pace but not Siberia. It may take sometime to find everything with the exception of english reading material I've found anything I want. But I don't read computer magazines so they may be everywhere don't know.

Yes, Khon Kaen seam to be more developed... Thanks for your suggestions!

/Hans

Yes you can find all those things here just have to look for them. Pool try the fitness college last time I was there it was 20 baht to use the facilities. Olympic size pool.

Computer shops just about everywhere you look. So parts should be easy to find.

It's slow pace but not Siberia. It may take sometime to find everything with the exception of english reading material I've found anything I want. But I don't read computer magazines so they may be everywhere don't know.

I went there for a couple of days, and i thought it was a relatively nice place. I was surprised how westernized it was, and i found the atmosphere friendly.

I had a funny start though... I met a guy at the airport who told me that he has been "here" for two and a half years already and that his stay had made him feel fed up. I think it was not only Udon Thani that he was fed up by, but Thailand in general as well.

/Hans

Best regards,

Hans

A good place to buy computer parts.

I CAN NOT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE COMPANY BUT IT IS EASY TO FIND

If you go past the charonsri/Robinsons on your left

And carry on up to the T junction then turn right.

The computer company is about 200-300 yards on the left. :o:D

Where's the fitness college Ray?

It's on the Nung Bua Lampo Highway ( ring road), going towards the airport about one block on the left past Harry's Bar.

I kid around about sending people to Khan Kean, but if you want a peaceful life either one is good. If party hardy Pattaya style is what you want definetly the wrong place, but you can find just about anything yuo want here, just takes some searching which is part of the fun and keeps you busy. Bowling, swimming, fitness centers, Golf, Tennis and the bar crawl is here as well.

I've really enjoyed riding bikes here, and there are several big bike groups that you can ride with or not depending on what you wish. Western foods are easy to find if you are so inclined.

Lot of farrrangs from a lot of different countries here. My understanding is Khan Kean has less farrangs, don't know if that is true or not and that might not be a bad thing anyway :o