Hepatitis B Vaccination

jupiler

I like to get an Hepatitis B vaccination.

In my country it cost about 300€ (15.000 baht)

Does anybody know what the costs are in Thailand?

Depends on where you go. Typical charge at most hospital clinics that stock the vaccine is 500-1000 baht fee for nurse (or physician) to administer + 400-600 baht for the vaccine. Should not cost more than 900 - 200obaht which is 20-40 Euro I think

Before you get vaccinated, discuss with your physician if you were ever vaccinated before. If you were, check for anti bodies. There are 3 dosing stages 0, 1 and 5 months. Get antibody tested after 1st dose.

The vaccines for A & B do not work on everyone. People go off and get vaccinated but about 5% of subjects do not have the benefit from the vaccines.

That sounds very reasonable, 2,000Baht. I take it that's for the course of 3 injections?

I was just quoted £35 / injection, £105 for the course (6,500Baht) in my local Health Centre in the UK.

Perhaps it's better to have the vaccinations in Thailand. Can you recommend anywhere?

In some of the larger cities, the Thai Red Cross has an immunization clinic, and charges reasonable prices. I need to stop in at their Chiang Mai clinic (or go to the big govt. hospital), and check my shot record. I finished my 3 series of hep A and B around 1998.

As Peaceblodie say's the Thai Red ross os the cheapest

http://www.redcross.or.th/english/service/...cal_travel.php4

Service Fees

1. Tetanus 15 baht/injection (three times)

2. Hepatitis A 750 baht/injection (two times)

3. Hepatitis B 360 baht/injection (three times)

4. Meningitis 180 baht/injection (for three years)

5. Encephalitis 400 baht/injection (three times per 1-2 years)

6. Cholera 300 baht/pack

7. Polio 50 baht/three drops

8. Typhoid 310 baht/injection (for three

Prices in Thailand are very variable - I sent the ex to a private hospital where it was over 2300THB a shot - colleagues in our Bangkok office say it should be 500THB for the vaccin and 300THB for it to be injected but they get access to it for free so may not know what it really costs.

That sounds very reasonable, 2,000Baht. I take it that's for the course of 3 injections?

I was just quoted £35 / injection, £105 for the course (6,500Baht) in my local Health Centre in the UK.

Perhaps it's better to have the vaccinations in Thailand. Can you recommend anywhere?

R2Quad

I got all mine in the UK FREE 18 months ago! Hep b/Tetanus/Malaria Tabs/polio jab. A full MOT before relocating out here (I obviously told them I was having long Holiday in Thailand/Cambodia)

Might be worth double checking?

Dave

Personal bias statement: Some of the vaccines used in Thailand are not the same as in the west. For the 35 baht dose program, I believe that Thailand sourced from Korean supplier which had a different composition. If you do dose locally verify the vaccine used and check to see if it actually worked. (Non immune response can hit 15% with some local supplied vaccines.Earlier reference to 5% was in regard to merck product.) Any large general hospital can vaccinate you. You do have the right to request specific suppliers.

Note the western vaccines have been on market for 20 years. Prevailing view is that the immunization at inception retained efficacy, so boosters may not be required. (Except for me, because it seems mine went away. :o )

Edited by geriatrickid

Personal bias statement: Some of the vaccines used in Thailand are not the same as in the west. For the 35 baht dose program, I believe that Thailand sourced from Korean supplier which had a different composition. If you do dose locally verify the vaccine used and check to see if it actually worked. (Non immune response can hit 15% with some local supplied vaccines.Earlier reference to 5% was in regard to merck product.) Any large general hospital can vaccinate you. You do have the right to request specific suppliers.

Note the western vaccines have been on market for 20 years. Prevailing view is that the immunization at inception retained efficacy, so boosters may not be required. (Except for me, because it seems mine went away. :o )

Good point - a colleague of mine used to work on the WHO vaccine programme. A lot of the vaccines they received were not up to standard - from the Serum Institute of India in Pune I think they were.

EngerixB from GSK is available in Thailand as is the Merck equivalent if you want a quality vacc - I can ask a colleague the best place if anyone likes.

Current theory is that boosters are not required - we have studies going out 23 years now showing this and are running yearly for at least the next 10 years

R2Quad

I got all mine in the UK FREE 18 months ago! Hep b/Tetanus/Malaria Tabs/polio jab. A full MOT before relocating out here (I obviously told them I was having long Holiday in Thailand/Cambodia)

Might be worth double checking?

Dave

Dave,

I don't know if it's changed in the UK recently, but last week the nurse said that I would have to pay for the Hep b vaccinations. However I could have Hep A + B free. Unfortunately I've already had the Hep A so she wouldn't do it for me. All the other ones you've mentioned are still free.

Prakanong,

I also didn't realise that Vaccines differ. So EngerixB from GSK and Merck are the brand name of the vaccine? Is this what one should ask for when going into "a large Hospital" to get vaccinated? Sorry to seem so vague, but I realy don't know much about vaccines etc.

Socialized medicine surely can help. The Tamil lady at private clinic wanted about $110 for yellow fever shot, and the US Army gave it to me for free (just had to drive 200 miles each way).

Do the Hep A and B need boosters?

I am sure tht Hep B does not. I was vaccinated for Hep B in 1979 and, since Hep B is so prevalent in Thailand I wanted to be sure I was still immunized.

Tested at Bumrungrad and I still have the antigens. No need for further vaccination.

(edited for grammar)

Edited by popshirt

• 1 year later...
Dave,

I don't know if it's changed in the UK recently, but last week the nurse said that I would have to pay for the Hep b vaccinations. However I could have Hep A + B free. Unfortunately I've already had the Hep A so she wouldn't do it for me. All the other ones you've mentioned are still free.

I went for my first Hep B injection yesterday in the UK and there was no charge. I'd already had Hep A, so I'm not sure but don't think she would give me HepA+B. Although she did say something about not getting anymore Hep B vaccines for the rest of the year and that she would have to 'beg, steal & borrow' so I could continue my course.