Chiang Mai In A Panic Over Supposed Explosive

sriracha john

any locals with knowledge of this??? :o

Chiang Mai in a panic over supposed explosive

Media reports have revealed that Chiang Mai is in a panic over a device resembling an explosive. The item was found in front of local stores aligning Saen Fang (แสนฟาง) temple.

Citizens discovered the suspicious device packed inside of a spray paint can and alerted authorities. Latest reports revealed that authorities from the Chiang Mai explosives retrieval unit have been called on to the scene to inspect the item. Authorities have ordered a perimeter to be setup around the spray can barring citizens from entering for the time being.

- ThaiNews / 25-04-08

I walked past there 10mins ago and saw nothing. But my husband said there was a bomb scare earlier this morning at Bangkok Bank Tapae. From what he heard they found nothing. When I went past the bank everything was as normal.

My maid has heard nothing.....so officially there is nothing happening :o

Well, hopefully the usually very reliable maid-link-network is correct again.... perhaps it's the bad English folks over at ThaiNews that got their wires crossed and meant "Chiang Mai In A Panic Over Supposed Expletive" after over-hearing some farangs cussing each other out.

This was all happening at around 10:30 this morning, Narawat bridge was closed so went back over Nakorning bridge and were re-routed down the night bazaar.Being the nosey f**ker i am i stopped to see what was happening, and yes there was a bomb scare, bomb disposable squad there and anti bomb gadget thingy half way up on the right hand side 50 metres before the bank probing into a large bin that was on its side. Dont speak Thai so couldn't ask locals how long there but from the traffic backup i guess 30-60 mins.

Edited by princealbert

:o

Bomb squad confirms Chiang Mai explosive

Bomb squad authorities have confirmed the discovery of an explosive device packed into a spray paint can found placed infront of shops at Saen Fang (แสนฟาง) Temple of Chiang Mai province.

The squadron has retrieved the device without incident as well as launching an investigation into the origins of the bomb.

Surrounding suspects and witnesses have been called in for interrogation of the incident that had led to panic earlier this morning.

- ThaiNews / 25-04-08

I'm just happy to hear there is an available bomb squad, and they do look fairly well equipped. BUT (looking at the photos) are they disposing/diffusing the device at Thapae Gate?

strange huh, bringing it from kad luang (chiangmai plastic) up there, silly thai logic I guess. better throwing it in the ping if u ask me.

Would you believe this is all about local Chiang Mai city politics? From what I hear, the party who lost the last election is doing things like this to discredit the new mayor. They don't like her because she has values and acts ethically and she is a threat to their corrupt activities.............but I could be wrong.

Would you believe this is all about local Chiang Mai city politics? From what I hear, the party who lost the last election is doing things like this to discredit the new mayor. They don't like her because she has values and acts ethically and she is a threat to their corrupt activities.............but I could be wrong.

No, I wouldn't believe that this is an attempt to discredit Dr Beng. A policeman 'finds' drugs in her car, now that would discredit her.

There is a contest between Boonlert (previous mayor) and I believe Dr Beng's father for the provincial (senator?) administration. Remember around 2 weeks ago Siam Commercial Bank just 50 metres away was robbed by a man with a small expolsive device, maybe this was a copycat who lost his bottle and dumped the explosive device.

CHIANG MAI

Police defuse bomb found at temple in tourist area

Police managed to defuse a remote-controlled bomb which was found at a temple in a tourist area in Muang district of this northern province yesterday morning. A garment vendor spotted a suspicious mail packet near a pavilion at Wat Saen Fang temple on Tha Phae road in tambon Chang Moi at about 7.30am yesterday and notified police. The packet contained a spray can stuffed with explosives that included potassium and aluminium. Inside the packet was an electric circuit board that supported remote-controlled detonation. Police destroyed the bomb, which they said was the work of a bomb expert. They were trying to trace the fingerprints on the packet. The bomb was similar to one planted in front of a Siam Commercial Bank branch on Ratchadamnoen road in Chiang Mai when it was robbed two weeks ago. Two days ago local police found over 900 rounds of old ammunition left near the Chiang Mai municipality office. Police believe the 88 mm machine gun bullets were originally from state storage that were discarded long ago. Local police do not think that the bomb and the ammunition had anything to do with the election of the chief of the Chiang Mai provincial administration organisation and that of provincial councillors set for May 11. However, there was a discussion on a constitutional amendment by pro-Thaksin Shinawatra activists at a Chiang Mai hotel yesterday. Panellists included former National Human Rights Commissioner Jaran Ditha-apichai and Dr Weng Tochirakan of the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/26Apr2008_news08.php

Yep, I can confirm it was the crown prince in that case.

Yeah, u had lunch with him at Kawila?

What's your point? Most people that live in this part of town where aware of the Royal visit, so correcting a serious misunderstanding should be appreciated.

Edited by KevinHUNT

The excitement never stops here in River city. Not only was I was a witness to the Bank robbery and bomb planting but I seemed to have stumbled on the B squad in action yet again. They were blocking traffic at Thapae gate but sure enough it was the same guys in that hot suit and no one had a clue what was going on.

I'm sure the panic set in after I left

Yup, explosive device discovered and de-fused.

Thank you, Thai police, for being on top of this.

And not to dredge up old news, but does anyone remember the grenade incident at the mosque off Chiang Klan Road about a year ago?

Absolutely no intent on my part to add fuel to the fire, and stir up things....but I will say- we are not in Kansas anymore, Toto. :o