Legal Formalities To Get Married In The Uk

My mate is after getting a Fiancee visa and marrying his girlfriend in Tottenham, North London and he's asked me about the "banns" or whatever.

I seem to remember when I got my paperwork from Marylebone (Register Office / some government building) my girlfriend and I had to go along and answer some questions, then they posted some details about our forthcoming marriage on some board for 7/14 days and we could not collect the requisite paperwork until that time had elapsed.

I recall it was a throw back to some ancient requirement that people could come forward and object.

Anyway, he doesn't know where to go in Tottenham and I can't remember what the process is called or where in the government / council structure you need to apply.

I don't know if it is like a non impediment or what or whether he can do it before she arrives or has to go down with her (I think this one) and do the paperwork then wait a while before he can actually have the service.

Can anyone help out with this please. I've been through what I think is the relevant council Haringey's website but it is too simple and I cannot get what I want from there.

thanks

Edited by goingaroundagain

Unless you are marrying in the Church of England or Church of Wales by Banns or Common Licence you and / or your partner must attend personally at the register office for the district(s) where you live and give a notice of your marriage to the superintendent registrar.

Notice of marriage can be given in one of two ways:

By Certificate

Both of you must have lived in a registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days immediately before giving notice at the register office. If you both live in the same district you only need to give one notice. If you live in different registration districts then each of you will need to give notice in your own area. After giving notice you must wait a further twenty-one days before the marriage can take place, (for example, if notice is given on 1 July the marriage may take place on or after 23 July 1997).

By Licence

To marry by this method, which is often known as 'special licence' and is more expensive, one of you must have lived in a registration district in England or Wales for at least fifteen days before giving notice at the register office. Your partner only needs to be resident of, or be physically in England or Wales on the day notice is given. After notice is given the marriage can take place after one clear day (excluding a Sunday, Christmas Day or Good Friday). For example you can give notice on a Tuesday and be married on the Thursday.

http://www.weddings.co.uk/info/england.htm

totster :o

How to arrange a wedding or civil partnership

Couples wanting to have their marriage or civil partnership ceremony in a register office or other approved premises have to give notice of marriage/civil partnership in person to the Superintendent Registrar in the district where they have lived for at least seven days.

Couples getting married in a registered place of worship should do the same, however if you are to marry in a Church of England, you should should seek advice from the Priest.

Important: If you are subject to Immigration Control you must contact the Home Office on 0870 606 7766 as people without permanent right of residence in the UK need the permission of the Home Office to get married or form a civil partnership in this country.

Before giving notice you must

* Know the venue for your ceremony

* Make an appointment to give the Notice: call in person at the register office or by phone on 020 8489 2605

To give notice, you will each need to show

* You have the permission of the Home Office if not permanent resident of UK

* Evidence of identity - such as a passport, birth certificate or Home Office letter

* Proof of address - such as a utility bill.

Sixteen days must have elapsed from the date notice is given, before the marriage can take place. The notice is valid for one year.

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/community...htm#arrangement

totster :o

I think the information above is rather misleading, your friends intended needs to state at the time of applying for visa that she intends to marry in the UK, she should apply get a type of visa or stamp in her passport that will give her permission to marry in the UK.

I think trying to get permission when she arrives may be very difficult.

hopefully some one with better knowledge can clarify the current situation.

BB

I think he means that she'll get a fiancée visa then after she gets to the UK she has 6 months to marry but they still have to go to some register office and do the paperwork etc. I would doubt she has to say where and when they will get married for the visa, only that they intend to do so within 6 months of her arriving in the UK.

I think he means that she'll get a fiancée visa then after she gets to the UK she has 6 months to marry but they still have to go to some register office and do the paperwork etc. I would doubt she has to say where and when they will get married for the visa, only that they intend to do so within 6 months of her arriving in the UK.

In order to get a fiancee visa her b/f will have to get a letter from the minister who is marrying them and when and a receipt to show he has booked and paid a deposit for the reception