Us Citizens Prohibited From Smoking Cuban Cigars

george

US Tightens Restrictions on Cuban Cigars

The United States Treasury Department has tightened its prohibitions against U.S. citizens importing or consuming Cuban cigars.

The department's Office of Foreign Assets Control has announced in a notice posted on the Internet that even Americans licensed to bring back up to $100 worth of Cuban goods will no longer be allowed to include tobacco products in what they carry. Previously, those licensed were exempted from what was otherwise a total import ban on Cuban tobacco products.

The notice also clarifies that Americans are barred from not only purchasing Cuban goods in foreign countries, but also from consuming them in those countries.

The penalties for violating the prohibitions include maximum criminal fines for individuals of $250,000 and imprisonment for up to 10 years. Corporations can be fined as much as a million dollars.

--VOA News 2004-10-06

The notice also clarifies that Americans are barred from not only purchasing Cuban goods in foreign countries, but also from consuming them in those countries.

Please tell me that you are joking.

How exactly is this law going to be enforced?

Didn't you know the US Army is going to form a special forces cigar strikeforce and hunt down all americans that will smoke cuban cigars. :o

No joke. Source: http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectI...ryname=Business

--VOA News 2004-10-06

The guys I know here that work at the US Embassy must be pissed then. Their lockers at Nurse are stuffed full of 'em. :o

--VOA News 2004-10-06

The guys I know here that work at the US Embassy must be pissed then. Their lockers at Nurse are stuffed full of 'em. :o

shhhhhh the cigar strikeforce will come and get them!!! :D

--VOA News 2004-10-06

Diplomatic Immunity pursuant to the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, and in the terms of The Bugger Dubya Act.

Mango, this means US-citizen, while visiting Thailand, can get into deep problems

when buying and/or smoking Cuban cigars in the realm. And these cigars are available, at least in Bangkok as well as on board for inflight sales of a lot of carriers touching down in Don Muang.

Purchasing is not allowed for US-people even at the usual hotel-outlets, consuming in LoS is not allowed for them.

Now what reflects consuming (if it was a gift) I do not know, yet, but just reading Bill Clinton, 'My Life', may be I find a hint.

Didn't you know the US Army is going to form a special forces cigar strikeforce and hunt down all americans that will smoke cuban cigars. :o

I didn't know, but I believe you.

How are they going to distinguish between the real thing and fake Cuban cigars sold in Thailand at a third of the price? Will perpetrators arrested for committing such anti-American activities have access to a lawyer or will they be incarcerated without trial?

I think this is really more about cigar labels. Substitute "cigars with cuban cigar labels" in place oif "cuban cigars". If you are a snob, and you need to show off the label, then this rule gores your ox.

If you just want to enjoy a good cigar, simply remove the labels, store in a humidor, and enjoy. It's the labels and boxes that are problematic. The provence of the tobacco is a matter for forensics - which are unlikely to be applied.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

Well, many things can be done Indo-Siam to circumvent the law. Is it legal?

What happens if one buys a box if those Cuban torpedoes and pays with a credit card (registered in the US) Will a US-citizen than be arrested and fined $250,000 and imprisonment for up to 10 years?

This is not a petty charge. What, if a fellow citizen sees and reports the inflight purchase?

If convicted of such a horrendous crime can the criminal sue the airline in Thailand for having sold the merchandise in the first instance?

Actually, I wanted to say, just silly, but 10 years in jail makes it serious. :o

Fascinating. So is there a black market for no-label Cubans in the States? Maybe there is marketing potential for certified non-Cubans with Cubanlike labels? A 'This-is-not-a-Cuban' brand for protesters? Selling original second hand Cuban cigar boxes to enthusiasts on the internet?

How do Cuban cigars get smuggled into the US? News headlines:

Illegal Cubans found wrapped in holiday couple's bathtowel.

Cuban hidden inside vibrator in hand luggage.

Just another step in America's stupid attempt to legislate behavior of its citizens in all manners of life everywhere in the world- one of the only nations to require its foreign-living citizens to file domestic tax returns even if all their income is untaxable- the untenable war on drugs everywhere supported by U.S. police- the war on "terra"- and now this.

I don't smoke, but maybe I could start.

"Steven"

Another source that says pretty much the same thing:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/o...ons/ccigar2.pdf

Excerpt: "The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no."

Excerpt: "The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no."

For argument's sake, let's assume one is an American who lives abroad and has no intention of ever returning to the States. The undercover Anti-Cuban Cigar Smoker Task Force catches this person on video tape publicly lighting up a Cuban somewhere overseas. What do the Smoking Gestapo then propose to do, try that person in-absentia for the heinous crime of carrying out an act that while perfectly legal where the smoking occurred, would be a crime on American soil?

For argument's sake, let's assume one is an American who lives abroad and has no intention of ever returning to the States. The undercover Anti-Cuban Cigar Smoker Task Force catches this person on video tape publicly lighting up a Cuban somewhere overseas. What do the Smoking Gestapo then propose to do, try that person in-absentia for the heinous crime of carrying out an act that while perfectly legal where the smoking occurred, would be a crime on American soil?

They'd probably drug him, kidnap him and bring him to guantanamo bay where he would get electric probes shoved up his a**e while being tortured with hip-hop 'music'.

Well this confirms, people subject to US-jurisdiction are prohibited from all such activities, like buying and/or smoking these torpedo-shaped cigars, even while outside of the USA.

Could this mean the law is interfering with the laws applicable in Thailand*? One could say, yes. What is legal within the boundaries of Thailand* is illegal by US-standards.

I daresay, this is a hint to Thailand* to shapen up or else. A next step could be to prohibit US-citizens to travel to Thailand* if she does not adopt US-laws. If there is no change in the attitude of Thailand* in regard to these torpedos than of course one should suffer from the consequences. Tread Cuban cigars like weapons of mass destruction. Locate and destroy them. Should the country not co-operate, attack and teach them how dangerous such cigars really are.

I for one, fully agree with this action. Smoking is dangerous, cigar-smoke, if inhaled can kill, Cuban cigars can contain all matters of poison, don't trust Fidel Castro, he and his cigars must be destroyed where ever located!

My thank you to the great wisdom of the makers of these regulations, which do reflect an IQ slightly higher than that of the cigars. Protect everybody from the evils of Cubans and their cigars.

In fact go and burn them, the cigars I mean. (Don't inhale)

Am I serious? Decide for yourself.

* Thailand, of course can be replaced with any other Nation to who the regulation applies.

The U.S. govt. also only allows Cubans who became U.S. citizens to visit their relatives in Cuba once every three years. George W. keeps saying he is fighting for freedom??? What a liar, he probably smokes cuban cigars as well. :o

What Spurred this On??  Castro must have pissed Bush off for some reason  :o

There is an impending election and the Florida anti-Castro contingent is a huge electorate for George W.

Hey Does this mean Monica Lewinsky can't have Cigars anymore ???? :D:D