Qcon Blocks

gdhm

Hi,

My Builders is going to use Qcon blocks in my new house exterior and interior walls BUT is very reluctant to use them in the bathrooms (he wishes to use concrete blocks or Thai bricks.

He has suggested concern about fixture adn fittings not bein held firmly enough and water being more of a problem should it ever get though the ceramic tiles.

I feel BOTH these concerns are not valid. Water getting through I believe would be no better or worse with Qcon than his alternative suggestions. I have also been told previously on this Forum that Qcon blocks can hold heavy fixtures perfectly adequately (Air cons for instancece) even if Qcon special plugs are not used and convention plastic wall plugs are used.

However I am no builder so I am wondering if there are any valid concerns as to not using Qcon for bathroom/shower room walls.

Are there any limitations that anybody who uses and knows Qcon feels I should be aware of.

Many thanks

Dave

Your builders concerns are completely groundless and will based more on ignorance of the product rather than practical experience..

There is NO downside to using Q Con on all the walls, inside and out. If you have the funds use double block on the outside and single on the inside, The sound and heat insulation is second to none.

If on the other hand you want a super hot bathroom that you can hear people use every time they go there use red bricks or cinder blocks.

Your builders concerns are completely groundless and will based more on ignorance of the product rather than practical experience..

There is NO downside to using Q Con on all the walls, inside and out. If you have the funds use double block on the outside and single on the inside, The sound and heat insulation is second to none.

If on the other hand you want a super hot bathroom that you can hear people use every time they go there use red bricks or cinder blocks.

Thank you Rimmer,

Yes I said to my wife that the room in the house most likely to have a window open most of the time and therefore heat up is the bathroom. and I said therefore I felt of all the internal walls it was possibly the most important to have Qcon.

Regretfully, my house is large and my budget too stretched to have double blocks. I will be using the 7.5cm thickness (still hopefully miles better than Thai red brick for heat and sound insulation (Thai brick seems to be be only 6.5cm thick)

Dave

We used Super blocks to build a farm house and shed. 10cm thick for the house with 2.5 M high walls

12cm thick for shed with 3 M high walls. I thought the cost was reasonable considering the superior properties.

The speed with which the walls were completed was unbelievable! The workers loved 'em too.

In the bathroom I would recommend using a waterproof membrane -painted on before the tiling.

There are a few different types available.

Some are bitumen/rubber based and really smell bad for a while.

The other type is like a polyurethane that sets like a soft plastic and the tile cement sticks to it nicely.

Another alternative is to use a glass fibre reinforced plastic shower cabin complete with glass door.

They have some nice ones at Homex. :o

In the bathroom I would recommend using a waterproof membrane -painted on before the tiling.

There are a few different types available.

What ever for?

Any well-built house here in Australia has a waterproof membrane under the tiles around and under the shower recess.

Without a waterproof membrane, tile grout can leak (after a few years) and water will get behind the tiles and

slowly penetrate the wall. The other side of the wall will start growing fungus and any paint will

peel off. This is a real problem I've seen in many cheaply-built or older homes.

It's especially bad when a shower recess is next to a bedroom or a cupboard.

The peeling paint, smell of fungus, damp and the grey wall is unpleasant to say the least.

By isolating the wet areas with the waterproof membrane, water only goes down the plughole

and everything else stays dry.