Helping A Friend Help Thai Children

happygirl

Hi, My friend is raising money to build a school in North Thailand. She is compiling a recipe book and needs donations of tried and tested recipes. The idea is to have the book printed by Christmas 2008. All the proceeds from the sale of the book will go to the school. Anyone out there any good tried and tested recipes they would like to donate? please add your name and country at the bottom. She is looking for recipes from all countries. Please help if you can.

"Pinnekjøtt" - salted lamb ribs

Pinnekjøtt is rib of lamb, which has been either salted and dried or salted, smoked and dried. Pinnekjøtt has a good deal of bone fat, so it is best to allow about 500 g per person if it is served on its own; if it is served together with sausages, allow 350 g per person.

* Separate the salted ribs from each other with a sharp knife and leave them in cold water overnight

* Go out in the woods and find enough fresh branches from a birch tree (finger thick) to cover the bottom of your pot. Remove the bark.

* Put the branches in your pot and and fill it with enough water to cover the branches

* Place the ribs over the branches and cook until the meat loosens from the bone (apprx. 2 hours)

* Be careful so the pot doesn't cook dry - refill water as necessary

* Before serving, give the ribs a few minutes under the grill of your oven.

* "Pinnekjøtt" is normally served with mashed kohlrabi (turnip) or rutabaga, boiled potatoes and mustard. Don't forget the aquavit and cold Christmas beer.

Mashed rutabaga

Approx. 1 kg rutabaga, water, pepper, salt, cooking juices from the "pinnekjøtt"

Peel and slice the rutabaga and cook it until tender in lightly salted water. Drain off the excess water. Pour 1/4 cup of cooking juice from the "pinnekjøtt", add salt and pepper and mash the rutabaga. You can use milk instead of cooking juices, then you should add a tablespoon of butter, too.

Rice Cream (creamy rice pudding/porridge)

(serves 4)

3/4 cup whipping cream

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups rice porridge

Serve with red fruit sauce on top. Rice Cream is often served with an almond hidden in it. The person who finds the almond gets a prize - usually a marzipan pig or a delicious Norwegian chocolate.

Hahaha...I dont know if anyone who has not grown up with this kind of food would like it, but here it is. This is a typical Norwegian Christmas dinner (on the west coast at least) and one of my favorite dishes. The point of the rice porridge at the end is that everyone is full from the dinner, but has to try to eat one bowl to see if they find the almond and win the marzipan pig. Found this recipe on a trusted website, and have looked it over and found that everything is correct (but the prize when you find the almond HAS to be marzipan, everything else is blasphemous)

Chilean Corn Casserole. This version uses chicken; other versions use beef, as well. Some say that it is not authentic if it doesn't include beef, but I have it on good authority that this is not always the case. However, I'm less concerned with whether it's authentic than whether it tastes good.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil

1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 onion, chopped

1/2 cup raisins or golden raisin, soaked in warm water 5 minutes and drained

1 teaspoon chili powder

2 cups fresh corn kernels, thawed or 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn kernel, thawed

1 cup milk

2 egg, separated

2 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 hard-boiled egg, sliced

12 black olive or green olives, sliced

Directions

1Heat oil over medium-high heat and stir-fry chicken, onion, raisins and chili powder until chicken is browned and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

2In a bowl, combine the corn, milk, egg yolks, flour, butter, sugar and salt.

3In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the corn mixture.

4Spread chicken mixture in the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole. Cover with a layer of egg slices, then top with olive slices. Pour the corn mixture over all.

5Bake at 350F 40 minutes.

Evelyn M. - Chile

:o

Chilean Corn Casserole. This version uses chicken; other versions use beef, as well. Some say that it is not authentic if it doesn't include beef, but I have it on good authority that this is not always the case. However, I'm less concerned with whether it's authentic than whether it tastes good.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil

1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 onion, chopped

1/2 cup raisins or golden raisin, soaked in warm water 5 minutes and drained

1 teaspoon chili powder

2 cups fresh corn kernels, thawed or 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn kernel, thawed

1 cup milk

2 egg, separated

2 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 hard-boiled egg, sliced

12 black olive or green olives, sliced

Directions

1Heat oil over medium-high heat and stir-fry chicken, onion, raisins and chili powder until chicken is browned and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

2In a bowl, combine the corn, milk, egg yolks, flour, butter, sugar and salt.

3In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the corn mixture.

4Spread chicken mixture in the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole. Cover with a layer of egg slices, then top with olive slices. Pour the corn mixture over all.

5Bake at 350F 40 minutes.

Evelyn M. - Chile

:o

Thank you both so much for your input.

all are much appreciated.

happy girl.( even happier now )

Is the book to be published in Thailand, or overseas? If in Thailand I think it would be more helpful if people wrote down local ingredients, and where they got them from.

I have many recipes which I have adapted due to avialability of ingredients locally, many herbs are hard to find over here.

Is the book to be published in Thailand, or overseas? If in Thailand I think it would be more helpful if people wrote down local ingredients, and where they got them from.

I have many recipes which I have adapted due to avialability of ingredients locally, many herbs are hard to find over here.

Yes she is looking to publish in Thailand, and thankyou for that advise Sweetchariot, I would agree with you on the herbs etc. If anyone has a recipe to share and can add where the ingredient or equivilant can be purchased then that will make the recipe so much easier, and would probably help sell the book.