Best Steakhouse In Chiang Mai?

Ulysses G.

The old Filmore East on Loi Kroh road had real American Steaks and cooked them over a flame. They were the best that I have had in Asia, and I couldn't help but have one every once in a while.

Is there anywhere in Chiang Mai with good, imported, tender beef, that cooks over a flame?

The Duke's has the best steaks since the Filmore, but they are grilled, and, therefore, leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Anywhere else?

Edited by Ulysses G.

The old Filmore East on Loi Kroh road had real American Steaks and cooked them over a flame. They were the best that I have had in Asia, and I couldn't help but have one every once in a while.

Is there anywhere in Chiang Mai with good, imported, tender beef, that cooks over a flame?

The Duke's has the best steaks since the Filmore, but they are grilled, and, therefore, leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Anywhere else?

WoW! Grill at the Shangri La was terrific when I went a couple of weeks ago. I had the 1000 gram Australian Rib Eye and it was delicious.

Anywhere else?

WoW! Grill at the Shangri La was terrific when I went a couple of weeks ago. I had the 1000 gram Australian Rib Eye and it was delicious.

Did you really have a 1,000 gram (35 ounces) steak :D I think you ought to have a think about your dietary habits. The largest steak (also rib eye, IIRC) they serve at e.g. the Duke's is 14 ounces and that one is BIG :o

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Anywhere else?

Did you really have a 1,000 gram (35 ounces) steak :D I think you ought to have a think about your dietary habits. The largest steak (also rib eye, IIRC) they serve at e.g. the Duke's is 14 ounces and that one is BIG :o

/ Priceless

Yes I did. Its 1000 Baht, as opposed to 3-450 Baht for the regular sized steaks. Its a rib eye so a lot of the weight is the bone, but it was about the size of a dinner plate and perhaps 2 inches thick.

I had it medium well and it was perfectly cooked, melt in the mouth and absolutely delicious.

They also have some expensive japanese steaks at 1500 and up Baht for a small steak

dit: my dietary habits are fine, but as a one off treat it won't kill me (I hope)

Edited by Theyreallrubbish

theyreallrubbish: rib eye is not normally served with bone, but if your happy dont worry about diet and eating habits. They used to have a place in the Texas panhandle that served a 60 oz. sirlion steak with all the trimmings (free if you ate it all). The owner told me that he gave free meals quite often. We ordered it for 3 people and had a hard time to finish.

Probably still running from all the guys that he sold it to! :o

Did he actually sell it? Direct word I had was he found out a little too late that the owners of the propertly would not allow him to sell and basically his only options were to stay open and watch his money drain out or walk away.

So maybe he pulled a fast one and sold to some unsuspecting buyers only for them to find out it wasn't allowed in his contract. Just shows you no matter how long someone lives here they still are prone to making bonehead mistakes that can be quite costly.

I had the pleasure of attending what you may call a soft opening at the soon to be open "Neighbors" steak house.Sat across from the extraordinary beauty of Daphne, the blonde of Tusker BBQ fame and my beautiful Philippina wife, Lita.Not a bad start, but then the real Angus tenderloins and ribeyes started hitting the plates and it truly was a slice of heaven that night...salt and pepper across and steaks in front .....I still seem to be at a loss for words and that doesn't happen every day.

Probably still running from all the guys that he sold it to! :D

Did he actually sell it? Direct word I had was he found out a little too late that the owners of the propertly would not allow him to sell and basically his only options were to stay open and watch his money drain out or walk away.

So maybe he pulled a fast one and sold to some unsuspecting buyers only for them to find out it wasn't allowed in his contract. Just shows you no matter how long someone lives here they still are prone to making bonehead mistakes that can be quite costly.

All I really know for sure is that there were lots of rumors about his whereabouts while he was keeping a low profile just out of town.

I liked Ron and I liked his steaks, but he did have a reputation as a "sharp" type when it came to business - after all, he used to be a used car salesman. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

No Mobs. Opening is saturday but not with the regular menu. Feel free to come saturday and have a drink and something to eat.

From sunday 25th we are open. But closed on mondays.

Slightly off the beaten track but the menu made me dribble (not a pretty sight I assure you). Best of luck with it all.

No Mobs. Opening is saturday but not with the regular menu. Feel free to come saturday and have a drink and something to eat.

From sunday 25th we are open. But closed on mondays.

Slightly off the beaten track but the menu made me dribble (not a pretty sight I assure you). Best of luck with it all.

Well, I guess even "The Neighbors" can't be next door to everybody........ :o

Have anyone ever been in this place, which is located on the the right hand side, when you are coming from the moat and going to the night bazaar via Loy Kroh. I don't recall it's name anymore although I walked by many times. It's something with beergarden and steakhouse? It's a very large place.

Have anyone ever been in this place, which is located on the the right hand side, when you are coming from the moat and going to the night bazaar via Loy Kroh. I don't recall it's name anymore although I walked by many times. It's something with beergarden and steakhouse? It's a very large place.

Yeah, I know the place you mean, big open air garden restaurant. I can't recall it's name either :o but I have been there once or twice. I've never eaten steak there but I do recall seeing steaks on the menu. They particularly stuck in my memory as one of them was priced around 1700 Bt (N.Z. Imported I believe).

Edited by thecatman

Yeah, I know the place you mean, big open air garden restaurant. I can't recall it's name either :o but I have been there once or twice. I've never eaten steak there but I do recall seeing steaks on the menu. They particularly stuck in my memory as one of them was priced around 1700 Bt (N.Z. Imported I believe).

The Palm Gardens?

Well, I'm just a Brit - so I can't lay claim to much first-hand knowledge of 2+ pound steaks cooked over hickory chips in Jo's Steak Shack in New York/Chicago/Sacramento/Dallas etc etc........... but I still know good food when I eat it :D .

Last night, I slipped over the river for the opening night of "The Neighbors" to join other happy attendees and got the real deal. Angus steak that really shows why it matters where and how the restaurant chooses to get its meat, perfect fries, a killer Greek feta cheese salad as good as any I've had in its homeland. Not to mention a magic soup that you can actually taste what's gone into it - and some freebie dates stuffed with cream cheese/garlic as an appetiser when I sat down to read the menu.

As it happens, on the next table was a real-McCoy American who could walk away with the next Hemingway look-alike trophy. No idea who he is (one of you guys?) but let's just say that, judging by his build, this is a man who is no stranger to a good meal and also enjoys getting plenty of practice! :D . Anyhow, he and his two companions seemed to love what they got.

Friendly service, great atmosphere and music, comfortable seating and very reasonable pricing for all that quality and quantity :o . Happy to have this new arrival in the neighbourhood - if they can keep this standard up I'm going to need a lot more exercise.............. :D

My wife and I ate at The Neighbors last night, and are now huge fans. The steaks we had were the best we have ever had in Thailand -- which in itself might sound to some like damning with faint praise, but I don't mean it that way: they were extremely tender and delicious steaks by any standard, and cooked to perfection. The Greek salad was excellent and the house wine was very good too.

Since I owe some thanks to Steve2UK for inspiring me to go, I will quote from his post and add a few comments here.

Well, I'm just a Brit . . .

Well, I encourage you not to dwell on it -- nobody's perfect.

........... but I still know good food when I eat it :D .

You certainly do.

Last night, I slipped over the river for the opening night of "The Neighbors" to join other happy attendees and got the real deal. Angus steak that really shows why it matters where and how the restaurant chooses to get its meat, perfect fries, a killer Greek feta cheese salad as good as any I've had in its homeland. . . . and some freebie dates stuffed with cream cheese/garlic as an appetiser when I sat down to read the menu.

. . . . .

Friendly service, great atmosphere and music, comfortable seating and very reasonable pricing for all that quality and quantity :o . Happy to have this new arrival in the neighbourhood . . . . .

Thanks again for posting this, with which I can now say I fully agree, based on experience.

I might not have realized that you own The Neighbors at that point (because I don't remember it). By the way, you sent me a PM with an attachment and I discarded it because I didn't know who you were yet.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying one of your steaks soon as a bunch of freinds are in town!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying one of your steaks soon as a bunch of freinds are in town!

UG, that's a lame excuse for not getting your behind on over there! Do it today! You know you want to. :o

You are right. Actually, that was a misprint. A bunch of freinds are here now. :D

Time then for a feeding freindzy!

I envy you, by the way, for never having had a teacher who irritated you with the phrase '"i" before "e", except after "c"'. :o

I envy you, by the way, for never having had a teacher who irritated you with the phrase '"i" before "e", except after "c"'. :o

I did, but that rule is not correct in some cases and I have big problem remembering which ones. :D