Getting Married In Thailand

space1999

Hi

I am getting married in Thailand in September...very excited. Can anyone help by telling me what to expect on the wedding day and anything else before or after that. I understand about the Dowry already for which we have already agreed.

But, I am not too sure about the gates before the wedding on the day and how much is expected for giving the gate keepers etc.

any advice welcome

cheers in advance

Hi

I am getting married in Thailand in September...very excited. Can anyone help by telling me what to expect on the wedding day and anything else before or after that. I understand about the Dowry already for which we have already agreed.

But, I am not too sure about the gates before the wedding on the day and how much is expected for giving the gate keepers etc.

any advice welcome

cheers in advance

Just do what they tell you and enjoy the ride. You don't really want to know everything in advance. Where is the fun in that?

Hi

any advice welcome

cheers in advance

Well, if you've invited Bill and his family, money shouldn't be an issue :o

The posters are right ,go with the flow. I found out the day before that our ceremony commenced at 7am and it did on the button. The monks had other committments. Kneeling for a hour or so is also not much fun if like me you have crippled knees from football Fortuantly I was able to walk again after about a week. Suggest you have a rehearsal, by yourself.

The only worrying part is the public circumcision if you haven't already had one.

See now he's gonna go and get all worried about those secret ceremonies they don't tell you about. At least you didn't tell him about loosing his family jewels.

The only worrying part is the public circumcision if you haven't already had one.

See now he's gonna go and get all worried about those secret ceremonies they don't tell you about. At least you didn't tell him about loosing his family jewels.

and eating 'em lightly poached at the feast. :o

Just go with the flow. I still don't totally know what went on at mine, it was in Pauli language and than there were people in the pictures no one knew...The two dead chickens are still a mystery to all of us. :o and you get to foot the whiskey bill.

I agree with Lukamar,go with the flow...everyone is friendly...and the day passes quickly

(Yes,Sparkles ,they kneeling goes on forever...I was glad on the splash of holy water every now and again ,to take my mind off the pain)

You will be fine,remember to keep smiling,especially ,when you dragged by all the relaltions to the "wedding bed",don't take off your clothes,smile for the photos & don't fall asleep...I did

:o Wiley Coyote

and after dinner the public consumation of the marriage. some grooms have big problems to perform that short after the circumcision :o

and after dinner the public consumation of the marriage. some grooms have big problems to perform that short after the circumcision :o

My mate's Mrs complained she never got as much as a sniff for weeks.

Some might say I have no right to comment on this one since the wife and I did the deed without all the hoopla. We told people after the fact. "Oh, by the way we got married." Did not have to pay anybody or suffer all that other stuff. Not sure how many others have been able to pull that one off. Obviously its possible, however.

Some might say I have no right to comment on this one since the wife and I did the deed without all the hoopla. We told people after the fact. "Oh, by the way we got married." Did not have to pay anybody or suffer all that other stuff. Not sure how many others have been able to pull that one off. Obviously its possible, however.

We came close...LOL The wife's sister told everyone about 3 months ahead and they ended up with a cast of hundreds, about 400. We arrived on Wednesday afternoon and announced we were going to get married on Friday morning... LOL You have never seen so many Thai people move so fast, It gives me hope.:o We had a dinner for the close family the night before that came to about 1500Bt and we gave Pa 10,000 Bt for the food and drink so he could look like the big shot dolling out cash...LOL The local Monk, there is only one at our temple, couldn't do it so we got some big shot government relative who was a monk for a long time, maybe in a past life. All in all it was a nice time, they got drunk, we went to the lake ( Kwan Phayao) to relax as we don't drink. When we got back the onlookers had left and the Military and Police had arrived. They were invited BTW..:D

Hi

But, I am not too sure about the gates before the wedding on the day and how much is expected

20 baht.

How much was the dowry? oh and congratulations.

WOW..only 20baht...was expecting at least couple of hundred. i thought that 2nd gate more expensive....not worried about it but just want to make sure I don't look l ike a donkey and not have enough money for any unexpected things.

OK folks....I will go with the flow...learnt that lesson quite quick on my first visit...it's just that my parents are going to Thailand with me in sept for the wedding...

Dowry is 200,000. I fully understand about the dowry thing....my thinking on this is that if you were to marry in england it would cost much more than this and being a now cynic of the loyalty etc of english women...I appreciate the amazing ways of thai culture and women etc..

Cirxcumcision eh??????? ouch...they'll have to catch me first.....I know you're joking...LOL :o

Went to a vellage wedding last time I was there.....I LOVE THAILAND

Wish I could live there now but am only 39....am told that without a job over there...and diff to get, pointles to think about this until 50 plus..or at least until mortgage paid off.

Thanks for congrats......can't wait

without circumcision and public consummation your marriage is most probably not legal :o

without circumcision and public consummation your marriage is most probably not legal :o

So I have been living in sin all these years. No wonder it still feels so good.

Cirxcumcision eh??????? ouch...they'll have to catch me first.....I know you're joking...LOL :o

You did check that she is Buddhist and not Jewish or Muslim. If Jewish or Muslim the instant circumcision may apply. :D If she's buddhist you can usually buy your way out of it.. :D

Edited by lukamar