Great New Vegetarian Restaurant

emh1969

Hopefully this post doesn't violate any forum rules. There's a great new vegetarian restaurant that just opened up 6 weeks ago called A Taste From Heaven. Excellent food. Beautiful interior as well as garden seating in the back. Also has free, secure WIFI or you can use their computer free for 30 minutes with a purchase. The lady who runs the place is super friendly. Prices are good too. Address is 237-239 Tha Pae Rd, on the right hand side as you're heading towards the Ping River.

Thanks, I'm always looking for new vegetarian restaurants.

This month's City Life listed/reviewed a place called House of Tofu without directions. I couldn't find it. Anybody know where it is? Somebody said its actually on Canal Road.....?

How far from Thaepae Gate is Taste of Heaven? Is it closer to the river?

Hopefully this post doesn't violate any forum rules. There's a great new vegetarian restaurant that just opened up 6 weeks ago called A Taste From Heaven. Excellent food. Beautiful interior as well as garden seating in the back. Also has free, secure WIFI or you can use their computer free for 30 minutes with a purchase. The lady who runs the place is super friendly. Prices are good too. Address is 237-239 Tha Pae Rd, on the right hand side as you're heading towards the Ping River.

If you are driving, Thapae is one way, the other way. If you're headed toward Thapae Gate, it is on your left :o

Can someone tell us what is so good about it?

I went out of my way to visit one veg restaurant on my bicycle that everyone is raving about ( near Wat Doi Suthep ) and thought that it was a waste of time. The atmosphere was nice, but the food was nothing special: The same old that vegetarian food as everywhere else.

What makes this one, "great"? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Unless the food is really tasty or innovative, I'm not usually impressed by veg restaurants. Alot of them are fancier, watered down versions of Thai restaurants with jacked up prices. I will admit the new place on Thapae looked ok, and the prices seemed reasonable. I went in to look at K. Lek's pictures of her elephants that are on the wall and for sale. Very nice work. This is yet another business she is partnering in to help fund her elephant projects up in Mae Taeng so I'd say that even if it is average food, it's a nice place to go and give support too, as well as the clean a/c atmosphere that Farang typically seek out.

As for any time I eat veg food, I'll tell you, that PanPan in Wat Suan Dok is actually darn good with that clean mellow hippy vibe veg's seem to seek. The fried flower salad with pumpkin vinaigrette dressing is innovative and tasty as well as filling. The avocado salad is delicious though the dressing errs a bit too much on the sweet side as is typical for Thai dressings. For tasty food among the people without fanciness I go up the left side of 3 Kings monument, pass my two of favorite Khao Man Gai places (the one on the corner also great Khao Soi) cross the street, pass the big yellow NTT Language center and halfway up the next block on the left are two places selling prepared food for dine-in or take away in big square stainless pans. The veg one has a sign in THai and English, it's the first one of the two there, on the left. Their Gaeng Kiaow Waan and Paneng are awesome. Their Gaeng Ho doesn't taste anything like usual Lanna food but is super tasty and I get it every time. Honestly, that's a must-eat there. That's my kind of veg - items are 15B ea for take away. By the way, there's no name to the place, just a Thai sign telling you it's a veg place 'Mangsawilat', if you read.

Okay, so what do I like about this place? Well, first of all I'm vegetarian so I generally try to patronize veg places when I can. Secondly, the food in my opinion is quite good though I admittadly haven't been here long enough to be able to distinguish good from bad from mediocre Thai food. Thirdly, I like the atmosphere inside of the place. Fourthly, the free, very fast, secure WI-FI connection (which I'm using to type this message). Fifth, the owner is a really nice person. Six, I like the fact that some of the proceeds go to benefit animals.

I'll have to check out the places realthaideal mentioned.

Hello !

I just found a nice one next to Chiang Mai Gate. They have food on display : usually 4 different kind of veggies and 2 to 4 kinds of the best mushrooms I have ever had ! You just ask for rice and point to what you want to eat with it. For rice + 2 choices, it's 20bts. They also have veggie sausages and other non-identified things I haven't tried yet.

It's on Phra Po Khlao Road, on the right side when coming from Chiang Mai Gate (about 150 m after it I guess). It's kind of yellow with written that it's a Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant. Almost in front of it is an Internet connection (10bt) and a VCD rental.

Cheers

Hello !

I just found a nice one next to Chiang Mai Gate. They have food on display : usually 4 different kind of veggies and 2 to 4 kinds of the best mushrooms I have ever had ! You just ask for rice and point to what you want to eat with it. For rice + 2 choices, it's 20bts. They also have veggie sausages and other non-identified things I haven't tried yet.

It's on Phra Po Khlao Road, on the right side when coming from Chiang Mai Gate (about 150 m after it I guess). It's kind of yellow with written that it's a Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant. Almost in front of it is an Internet connection (10bt) and a VCD rental.

Cheers

That would be 'Tien Sieng' the Taiwanese-Thai veggie place and my favourite of all the veg restaurants serving "khao raad".

Edited by Bananaman

This month's City Life listed/reviewed a place called House of Tofu without directions. I couldn't find it. Anybody know where it is? Somebody said its actually on Canal Road.....?

It is in fact on the Canal Road, a couple hundred meters south of the intersection with Suthep Road, on the west side of the canal. I've been meaning to check it out myself - drive past it everyday but haven't yet stopped in for a try.

As for any time I eat veg food, I'll tell you, that PanPan in Wat Suan Dok is actually darn good with that clean mellow hippy vibe veg's seem to seek.

I've heard about this place and we plan on checking it out soon. My wife says in the morning it's popular for those giving alms to the monks at Wat Suan Dok.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For tasty food among the people without fanciness I go up the left side of 3 Kings monument, pass my two of favorite Khao Man Gai places (the one on the corner also great Khao Soi) cross the street, pass the big yellow NTT Language center and halfway up the next block on the left are two places selling prepared food for dine-in or take away in big square stainless pans.

I've eaten take away from here several times and agree that their curries are very yummy. As are the other places you mentioned on 'restaurant row' ...Inthaworowat Road...the kuaytiaw naam phed and 'yen ta fouw' shops are great too! :o

'A Taste From Heaven' <-good name! :D

Actually, to all, would be really great when mentioning a fav veggi restaurant if you could mention roughly the price bracket they come under please . I am vegi and so its great to read recommendations of new places, but i dont have a high budget for eating out (unless im splashing out on a special occasion), so would really appreciate a fore-warning before heading out to try a new place.

My fav restaurant for the longest time is still Khun Churn on Nimmanhemin Soi 17 (btw they now have their menu online: http://www.khunchurn.th.gs/web-k/hunchurn/Frame.htm ). The prices are very reasonable at around 45-50 baht per dish. The food tastes great, the new premises are relaxing, and they also have free wifi. They do a buffet lunch (i think its from 11am - 2pm, but not 100% sure), all you can eat for 80baht. But i think the food on the evening menu tastes better imo.

Ill be checking out PanPan next week. After that i think ill maybe check out Taste from Heaven.

Definitely writing down all the recommendations so i can get round to trying them out (but although i enjoy good food, price range really helps me when deciding where to go) :o

Dishes at Taste from Heaven are 40-60 bahts. The only issue I have is with the cost of the fruit shakes. 55 bahts. Please. Everyone else seems to have them from 15-30 bahts. So go for the food, but not the fruit shakes.

FYI, have you wondered how vegetarian dishes can be tasty? MSG! (A friend who owned four Chinese restaurants in Hong Kong told me so. Fairdinkum!)

If you are allergic to MSG (mono sodium glutamate), avoid vegetarian restaurants. Home cooking is better.

FYI, have you wondered how vegetarian dishes can be tasty? MSG! (A friend who owned four Chinese restaurants in Hong Kong told me so. Fairdinkum!)

If you are allergic to MSG (mono sodium glutamate), avoid vegetarian restaurants. Home cooking is better.

PunPun doesn't use it. I don't know about other places:

http://www.punpunthailand.org/restaurant.html

Hello !

Cheers

That would be 'Tien Sieng' the Taiwanese-Thai veggie place and my favourite of all the veg restaurants serving "khao raad".

This is where I eat ahaarn j - or the Chinese Veg place in the soi right before the Empress Hotel off of Chang Klan Road.

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Pun Pun, but wasn't overly impressed by the food. There was nothing wrong with it, but, IMHO, it is nothing special either.

I wouldn't ride my bicycle all the way from the Night Bazaar again.

Does anyone know where they keep the "mushrooms" at Tien Sieng? I see the veggie dishes and lots of fake meats, but never noticed any mushrooms. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm always looking for new Farang vegetarian places or dishes.... Any suggestions?

I think the veggie burger with cheese at Aum for 50 baht is perfect! It's better than almost any I've had in the USA.

The salads at Pun Pun are great.

The sandwiches and soup at Blue Diamond can be very good.

Sizzler salad bar......ok

i dont think that is quite true tbh.. Many dishes in Thailand are flavoured with msg, especially the cheaper roadside places or supermarket food courts. You just have to have to ask them not to add the msg. Most of the good veggi restaurants such as khun churn emphasise their use of fresh ingredients and no artificial flavours. Most all pre-made supermarket style fast foods including meat, meat free, and veggi are all made with msg, unless stated otherwise.