Which Mainboard?

newtronbom

I am looking at upgrading - replacing my ancient desktop. Could do with some informed advice on which mainboard to choose. I am looking at 3 boards and there is a huge difference in price. While I agree you can not stint when it comes to a good board, I don't like throwing away money that I can ill afford. Here are the 3 that I have got down to. There does not appear to be a significant difference between them performance wise, but I may be wrong - and that's why I could do with the advice. My coices are 1/. a DFI LT X48 - T2R(see attachment jpeg), 2/. an nvidea EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI, Dual DDR3, 4x PCLe 16x gpu slots, with firewire 1394aa(see attached jpeg), and 3/. an ASUS P5K-E, which appears to have around the same specs as the other two. The DFI is 8000 bht, the nvidea 790i has not been quoted as it has not quite arrived, however I believe it will run to around 16000 bht, and last but I believe not least, the ASUS is only 4500 bht. Ok, the ASUS has small differences (notably the price) - onboard sound is not quite as good but still 7.1 surround, it's front side bus is 1600 and supports Dual Channel 1060 mhz like the other two, has 4 mem slots and will run a Quad core just the same as well. To fill in the picture, I am going to put in a Intel Q6600 core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz cpu,2x 2 Gb DDR2 ram, 2 x nvidea GE Force 8800 8 series ULTRAs, running off a Maxtor 250 Gb 10,000 hard drive, with a 500 Gb storage drive, as I do a lot of graphics with huge file sizes. Hope some one out there can help me out here, as I don't want to make a big mistake. The nvidea is sexy but is it really worth it??? The DFI is a good price and board, but that Asus looks good to me. newtronbom

post-61805-1213881750_thumb.jpg

post-61805-1213881879_thumb.jpg

post-61805-1213883949.jpg

ASUS P5K-E, which appears to have around the same specs as the other two. The DFI is 8000 bht, the nvidea 790i has not been quoted as it has not quite arrived, however I believe it will run to around 16000 bht, and last but I believe not least, the ASUS is only 4500 bht.

I got a Asus p5k at work and it seems to have some problems with slurring sound (another thread in here, I thought I fixed it but no). I got another recent Asus with onboard wifi at home and that has a few problems with maintaining wifi connectivity in WPA encryption.

Asus has a good reputation but frankly I've had 3 now and none of them have worked flawlessly - next time I'll try another brand.

To fill in the picture, I am going to put in a Intel Q6600 core 2 Quad 2.4 Ghz cpu,2x 2 Gb DDR2 ram, 2 x nvidea GE Force 8800 8 series ULTRAs

Sir, with that quote you restrict yourself to the Nvidia solution. There are no Intel chipsets (the P5k-E uses the P35 and the DFI LT X48 - T2R obviously uses the X48) that support SLI.

Sorry to bust in but since this thread about mainboards is already running I thought I'd ask as well:

I've been looking at the GA-EP35-DS3P mainboard from Gigabyte, which judging from my googling, seems to get better reviews than the ASUS mainboards in the same price range:

http://www.thanni.com/index.php?main_page=...roducts_id=4316

ep35-ds3p_MED.jpg

4,240 baht at Thanni

I am planning to stick an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz on it. (6,840 baht)

http://www.thanni.com/index.php?main_page=...roducts_id=4336

I already have an XFX 8600GT VGA card which I will transfer to the new board.

Does that sound like a decent midrange setup or what would you change?

Guest Reimar
Sorry to bust in but since this thread about mainboards is already running I thought I'd ask as well:

I've been looking at the GA-EP35-DS3P mainboard from Gigabyte, which judging from my googling, seems to get better reviews than the ASUS mainboards in the same price range:

ep35-ds3p_MED.jpg

4,240 baht at Thanni

I running in one computer an Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3/S3 Mainboard (4,000) with AMD AM2 X2 Athlon 5000 CPU (3,800), 8 GB DDR 2 800 (4 x 2 GB Dual OCZ 7,000) and Nvidia 8500GT (3,200) which runs with Vista 64 Bit and special for FS-X. May sometime I upgarde to the Phenom CPU.

Work like a dream.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar
Thank you for your input Reimar. :o

So if I read between the lines, what you are saying is I should go for a Gigabyte mainboard, but rather choose an AMD double core CPU than an Intel?

I do like the AMD's more than an Intel.

Several reasons but the main is that the AMD is much more downward compatible than Intel. The second that the Amd may get ore hot but the burning temp is 120 C instead of 70+

and I had several Intel burned in the past.

And the FS-X runs better on AMD than on Intel with less cost of required hardware!

But you need choose what you think is the best for you and even maybe about your past experiences.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar

Several reasons but the main is that the AMD is much more downward compatible than Intel....

what do you mean by that?

Easy, old software even some 8 Bit I can still use on AMD but NOT on Intel! And I sometimes need to access very old Data.

Answer that your question?

Cheers.

Several reasons but the main is that the AMD is much more downward compatible than Intel....

Easy, old software even some 8 Bit I can still use on AMD but NOT on Intel! And I sometimes need to access very old Data.

Cheers.

The original 8086 processor, PC-DOS and MS-DOS were all 16-bit, which 8-bit software are you referring to? The last 8-bit computer I had was a Tandy.

The original 8086 processor, PC-DOS and MS-DOS were all 16-bit, which 8-bit software are you referring to? The last 8-bit computer I had was a Tandy.

Actually the original IBM-PC was the 5150 model and based on the 8088 CPU which is 8-bit data bus and 16-bit address. IBM was originally considering the 8086 and the Motorola MC68000 but considered them too powerful/expensive for the general user.

As for AMD downward compatibility, the only reason that would be the case is if the software was compiled using AMD specific extensions such as MMC or 3D. I'm not a brand loyalist, I choose the CPU based on the available technology and price/performance. I have switched from Intel to AMD and back several times due to the best product at that time. My last built system was an AMD dual core because it was the best at the time, I have since changed to Intel core-duo for the same reason.

I also have to run old applications (physics apps specifically) and the only issue is the operating system, not the CPU that I have to deal with. I have a few physicists I set up to run XP but installed Win95/98 under VMware to allow them to run these apps (some of which are DOS apps).

Guest Reimar

Cheers.

The IBM PC/XT 5160 was an Intel 8088 4.77 MHz, 8 Bit! The newer PC/AT was an 16 Bit. Tricky things was done at that times with the CPU to markup the price. They splittet the 8088 in 8086 as CPU and 8087 as Floating Point Processor (MathCo) and than was building the AT on that Base.

Cheers.

Actually the original IBM-PC was the 5150 model and based on the 8088 CPU which is 8-bit data bus and 16-bit address. IBM was originally considering the 8086 and the Motorola MC68000 but considered them too powerful/expensive for the general user.

As for AMD downward compatibility, the only reason that would be the case is if the software was compiled using AMD specific extensions such as MMC or 3D. I'm not a brand loyalist, I choose the CPU based on the available technology and price/performance. I have switched from Intel to AMD and back several times due to the best product at that time. My last built system was an AMD dual core because it was the best at the time, I have since changed to Intel core-duo for the same reason.

I also have to run old applications (physics apps specifically) and the only issue is the operating system, not the CPU that I have to deal with. I have a few physicists I set up to run XP but installed Win95/98 under VMware to allow them to run these apps (some of which are DOS apps).

Ahh, i stand corrected. I thought since the 8088 was based on the 8086 it was also 16-bit, but i was wrong. So that means that no PCs actually used the 8086 processor? Interesting...

I've never been a loyalist either, i've played with all sorts of alternative processors from Cyrix, Transmeta (horrible), AMD etc. I've had some bad luck some AMDs, but ultimately it was due to flaky VIA chipsets and not the processors themselves.

Guest Reimar

You're right in some way but the problem for me that that I have use some very old software (1981) which will hangs on all newer Intel Processors but runs on newer AMD's. Still have to use a special software for to "clock" down the speed below 8 MHz!! Every Intel strikes here! But I can even down and AM2 3800 and run that old software.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar
Ahh, i stand corrected. I thought since the 8088 was based on the 8086 it was also 16-bit, but i was wrong. So that means that no PCs actually used the 8086 processor? Interesting...

I've never been a loyalist either, i've played with all sorts of alternative processors from Cyrix, Transmeta (horrible), AMD etc. I've had some bad luck some AMDs, but ultimately it was due to flaky VIA chipsets and not the processors themselves.

It was opposite, the 8086 was based on the 8088 which was splitted in the 8086 and the 8087 as I wrote before.

Some of the older AMD CPU's sold in Thailand had some problems with burning, but that was because of "re-marked" CPU's which means the the original CPU was altered and changed to run on higher speed and shows a higher model. There was a company named LIN Comp. which was selling that AMD CPU's here in Thailand and the court case from AMD against that company is still running. The warranty sticker having the sign LIN on it.

Cheers.

Good discussion with lots of useful information.

Such extreme backwards compatibility as Reimar requires will not be necessary for me, so I might just stick to buying the setup I originally thought of, unless somebody has something very negative to say about the GA-EP35-DS3P mainboard.

I know from friends who are using the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz that it works really well.

Guest Reimar

As I believe that meadish_sweetball was talking form an Gigabyte Mainboard GA-EP35-DS3P I can see 2 PCI-X Ports on it:

GA-EP35-DS3P.jpg

And I also recognise that the picture of the Mainboard you shown is an Asus Mainboard?! Or I'm wrong?

Cheers.

Such extreme backwards compatibility as Reimar requires will not be necessary for me, so I might just stick to buying the setup I originally thought of, unless somebody has something very negative to say about the GA-EP35-DS3P mainboard.

I know from friends who are using the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz that it works really well.

I use a Tyan K8WE. Offers me quad core and 12GB of RAM. 2 PCI-E slots, 3 PCI-X, and a single PCI. Of course, this is more of a workstation/light server board, but I really enjoy all the options it offers me. Plus, even having only Opteron 265s in it I still have seen no slow downs.

Oh, and not to belittle Reimar, because I know he knows his stuff and mistakes are made, but the picture he was referring to in another has PCI-E(xpress), not PCI-X(extended)

Guest Reimar

I use a Tyan K8WE. Offers me quad core and 12GB of RAM. 2 PCI-E slots, 3 PCI-X, and a single PCI. Of course, this is more of a workstation/light server board, but I really enjoy all the options it offers me. Plus, even having only Opteron 265s in it I still have seen no slow downs.

Oh, and not to belittle Reimar, because I know he knows his stuff and mistakes are made, but the picture he was referring to in another has PCI-E(xpress), not PCI-X(extended)

As you maybe know many using Xpress for Express, asian slang, and that's why I was using the X but anyway, the "VGA" port on both MB are 2 and not 1 as he wrote.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar

Before you start to critisize others for minor errors, may you take a look at your own:

Your MB Tyan K8WE:

• 128-bit dual channel (interleaved) memory bus

• Total of eight DDR DIMM sockets (four per CPU)

• Supports up to 32GB of Registered DDR

• Supports Single/Dual/Quad Rank mem. modules

• Supports DDR 266/333/400 memory

• Supports ECC with CHIPKILL technology

This just about the memory.

And the CPU:

Processor

• Dual µPGA 940-pin ZIF sockets

• Two onboard 4-phase VRM

• Supports up to two AMD Opteron™ 200 processors

• Three HyperTransport™ links support up to

8.0GB/s data transfer rate each link

• 144-bit DDR interface (128-bit data + 16 bit ECC)

• Scalable 32bit & 64bit computing

• Secure computing with Nx register support

• Supports Single and Dual Core processors

Everything to read here: http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/...rk8we_spec.html

May you check the spec of the MB you show here is yours!

Cheers.

Guest Reimar
Seems like a very high quality board but the price tag is a few thousand up from the one I had in mind, I guess?

That MB he's talking about is an Server MB for max Dual Core Opteron CPU (AMD) and is expensive. To get it to work without any probs there should be also ECC memory used which is expensive as well.

Cheers.

I was looking at that board at Newegg.com - it's got Texas Instruments firewire which is good. Also considering P35-DS3L for a budget rig but then there's no SLI or CF support- and no firewire!

ep35-ds3p_MED.jpg

4,240 baht at Thanni

Before you start to critisize others for minor errors, may you take a look at your own:

Your MB Tyan K8WE:

• Supports up to 32GB of Registered DDR

And the CPU:

Processor

Everything to read here: http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/...rk8we_spec.html

Cheers.

2x Opteron 265 (dual core 1.8GHZ) is a quad core system. At least according to my fuzzy math! And I have 4x 1GB modules and 4x 2GB modules. I'll snap a picture of my system when I get home if that'd make you happy.

But all snideness on my part aside, what Reimar said about a normal person (and I'd be very insulted if you called me normal) not needing to look at a workstation motherboard is correct. However, they are more stable and as the specs show offer more options. For instance, with the shift toward PCI-E, few consumer level motherboards offer more than 2x PCI-E 16x slots, although they will offer several 1x slots. Workstation motherboards will offer more, so if you're looking to add in a high performance card that requires a 4x slot you're more likely to find a wider arrange of options in the workstation class.

Guest Reimar

Your MB Tyan K8WE:

Supports up to 32GB of Registered DDR

And the CPU:

Processor

Cheers.

2x Opteron 265 (dual core 1.8GHZ) is a quad core system. At least according to my fuzzy math! And I have 4x 1GB modules and 4x 2GB modules. I'll snap a picture of my system when I get home if that'd make you happy.

But all snideness on my part aside, what Reimar said about a normal person (and I'd be very insulted if you called me normal) not needing to look at a workstation motherboard is correct. However, they are more stable and as the specs show offer more options. For instance, with the shift toward PCI-E, few consumer level motherboards offer more than 2x PCI-E 16x slots, although they will offer several 1x slots. Workstation motherboards will offer more, so if you're looking to add in a high performance card that requires a 4x slot you're more likely to find a wider arrange of options in the workstation class.

Unfortunate I need to leave the whols bunch of quotes at this post because for to clarify:

A Quad Core CPU is ONE CPU with 4 Processors! Or I'm wrong?

That MB offers not up to 12 GB Memory but up to 32 GB Memory! There was NOT mentioned how much the poster has on memory and the he want to use only the available memory, but how much the MB offers! And that's 32 GB! Or I'm also wrong here?

And one thing more, that MB offers DDR Memory only even with ECC it's still DDR! Much more expensive than DDR2 and even much more if use ECC!

Cheers.

Your MB Tyan K8WE:

Supports up to 32GB of Registered DDR

And the CPU:

Processor

Cheers.

Unfortunate I need to leave the whols bunch of quotes at this post because for to clarify:

A Quad Core CPU is ONE CPU with 4 Processors! Or I'm wrong?

That MB offers not up to 12 GB Memory but up to 32 GB Memory! There was NOT mentioned how much the poster has on memory and the he want to use only the available memory, but how much the MB offers! And that's 32 GB! Or I'm also wrong here?

And one thing more, that MB offers DDR Memory only even with ECC it's still DDR! Much more expensive than DDR2 and even much more if use ECC!

Cheers.

You are not wrong. A processor with 4 cores is a quad core processor. I however didn't claim it would run quad core processors, but rather it afforded me the option, which I am taking advantage of, to run quad cores. Quad means four. Two dual core is equal to quad. I find it slightly amusing you wish to split hairs over your interpetation of my posting, but are comfortable using incorrect industry standard acronymns.

Also, please point out where I claimed it only ran 12 GB of RAM. Unless I've edited my post (quick check-no), I didn't make that claim. Merely pointed out that all of my DIMM slots were full. I than explained how they were filled.

And yes, the memor was expensive. I paid ~250USD for each of the 1GB sticks, and ~600USD for each of the 2GB sticks. I guess if you want to knock it for being over 3 years old and using "only DDR" go right ahead. Oh and by the way, what type of memory bandwidth does your system offer? If you can tell me why offering less bandwidth for whatever you're running is preferable I'd be interested to know.

At any rate, you seem to have taken exception to what was a simple clarification and attempted to prove how ignorant I am. I could be biased, but rather than accomplishing that, you came off quite like someone who is rather petty. Based on that, I shall refrain from further discussion in this thread with you unless there is something to cover that will not lower the collective IQ of fellow forum members.

Guest Reimar

dave_boo

Excuse me but you was starting this "game":

If you didn't start with, what I set to red, I haven't wrote anything even not to post the original spec of that MB!

If you ever read how I title myself, below my avatar, you had should known that I didn't claim to be perfect. On the other hand I don't like if someone starts to show off while pointing the fingers to others and be by himself incorrect as you had done.

If I want to criticize someone , special if I don't know that person personally, I would do so directly but not on public. But if you start to do so, you must accept that it come back on the same way.

About the Quad Core: if you run 2 Dual Core CPU's you maybe can say that you run in Quad but the real is still 2 time 2 Dual Core CPU's.

And here is what you wrote on start up in our first post:

I use a Tyan K8WE. Offers me quad core and 12GB of RAM.

If the Mainboard offers you 12 GB memory, means a maximum of usable 12 GB memory and NOT how much memory you have! Tyan don't know anything about YOUR memory! And the maximum for that MB is 32 GB!

Again and one thing very clear: If I write some wrong, I'm confident enough to tell that is was wrong and about the PCI-X I gave the explanation already. And at other time's I was wrong I had not apologize in PM only but in public as well.

As far as I know, you're german as well and I could write that all in german but the board language is english and it's maybe better because my german would be much different and more clear to the point.

Cheers.