Putting Chlorine In My Water Tank

Daffy D

I read on this forum some time ago about putting chlorine in your water tank to clean it out and get rid of any algae build up. I didn’t take much notice at the time but now think it may be a good idea to try this.

We have one of those 1000lt blue plastic water tanks fed by local government water. The water though filtered does not seem to be treated with anything and I thought I would try the chlorine treatment.

A friend gave me about a kilo of chlorine used for swimming pools, would some of this thrown in the tank get rid of algae build up and apart from slight taste and smell would the water be ok to use as normal.

How much should I use? I don’t want to put too in much and have problems with unusable water. Also can I just throw the powder in the tank or should I put it in a small bag and hang it in there.

Any advice from those that have done this most welcome.

Daffy. :o

I read on this forum some time ago about putting chlorine in your water tank to clean it out and get rid of any algae build up. I didn’t take much notice at the time but now think it may be a good idea to try this.

We have one of those 1000lt blue plastic water tanks fed by local government water. The water though filtered does not seem to be treated with anything and I thought I would try the chlorine treatment.

A friend gave me about a kilo of chlorine used for swimming pools, would some of this thrown in the tank get rid of algae build up and apart from slight taste and smell would the water be ok to use as normal.

How much should I use? I don’t want to put too in much and have problems with unusable water. Also can I just throw the powder in the tank or should I put it in a small bag and hang it in there.

Getting the proper amount will be a problem. If you do this, the best thing to do is to buy a chlorine test kit from a swimming pool supply. It won't hurt anything.

If you really want to do a good job do this.

About 1/4 to 1/3 kilo would be sufficient for 1000 liters. Mix it in a bucket of water to dissolve most of the powder, then pour that in while stirring the water in the tank. You can use a simple broom handle. What you are doing is simply "super chlorinating" the water like they do in swimming pools. Chlorine dissipates under strong UV light (sunshine) after 3-4 hours so that why its relatively safe to use in swimming pools but you don't want to drink it.

In your tank, after the same amount of time, look in and check to see if the algae is gone if you could see it before. If the tank is "black" its hard to see. It doesn't take long to work. Depending on how much effort you want to spend, scrub the sides with a brush on a broom handle. Otherwise, I'd give it one more good stir and then drain the tank out or most of it. You'll probably get rid of any sediment that's in the bottom at the same time. Do that every 6 months and you should be OK.

For an added bonus, when you treat the tank, open each of your faucets one at a time, starting with the one that's the farthest away from the tank for only a minute or two and turn off. This will flush out the entire piping system at the same time. Then drain the tank and refill with fresh water. Then open all your faucets for a few minutes each to flush out any remaining chlorinated water, and your back in business.

PS: I've done it before and it works. Sandstone tanks work good too, but you can still get algae in them.

Good luck.

Follow this link for the information you require, THEY HAVE A pdf FOR DOWNLOAD, BUT DON'T DRINK THE CHLORINATED WATER!! BAD HEALTH RISKS.

http://texashelp.tamu.edu/001a-hot-topics/...ation-water.php

How much should I use? I don't want to put too in much and have problems with unusable water. Also can I just throw the powder in the tank or should I put it in a small bag and hang it in there.

Hi DD. Hypochlorite works well for ridding algae, most bacteria and viruses. The powdered stuff you refer to is Calcium hypochlorite and is the cheapest source of Hypochlorite. A cleaner source is Sodium Hypochlorite in solution. In thailand this is available as Haiter Bleach. It disperses immediately and leaves no particulate residue. Effective within 30 inutes. If the water is still discoloured after this time, repeat the treatment as the hypochlorite will have been used up and no extra amount of time will increase the effectiveness. Leave for 15 minutes

Add 10 mls of Haiter per 100 Liters of tank water.

The breakdown products of this are simply water and salt. There are two regimes for treatment. the shock treatment referred to and the maintenance treatment. The difference being the amount of hpochlorite and the subsequent availability of chlorine in the water for the treatments.

It's quite safe to drink this water but as you say may have a bit of a taste. This is also easily dealt with by passing the water over some finely broken charcoal, suspended in a bag or used in a strainer. You can also buy charcoal filters and they're widely available. This is very effective in taking out all kinds of tastes and odours. Best to prepare your charcoal filter by running clean water through it prior to using it as there will be some fines leaching out initially.

The effective level of chlorine is 2-5 parts per million. You can buy a test kit as mentioned by others and they're quite accurate. Test your tank every two weeks if you wish to maintain the chlorine level then simply add another dose. Blocking out light is probably a better alternative in preventing algae growth.

If your tank is layered with algae drain your tank then using some warm water with detergent and Haiter works well. A small squish of dish washing liquid plus 20 mls of Haiter, a couple of buckets of warm water and swish it around. Stand 15 minutes and drain and rinse. The tank will be clean

Try this chart i found on a website talking about this very subject.

post-20917-1214618985_thumb.png

Thank you all for the information. Looks like it’s a bit more complicated than just throwing in a handful of stuff. :D

Think I’ll climb up the tower to have a look and check exactly how it is inside.

Have not made that climb for a couple of years hope I can still do it. :o

this stuff is safer than chlorine for purifying water, and one needs to use very little ...

http://www.mmsmiracle.com/

"Separate tests conducted by the Malawi government produced identical 99% cure results. Over 60% of the AIDS victims that were treated in Uganda were well in 3 days, with 98% well within one month. More than 90% of the malaria victims were well in 4 to 8 hours. Dozens of other diseases were successfully treated and can be controlled with this new mineral supplement. It also works with colds, flu, pneumonia, sore throats, warts, mouth sores, and even abscessed teeth (it's the only thing that controls and cures abscessed teeth)." This is written regarding the MMS solution on Prison inmates. I'd add snake oil to give an extra boost. :o

• 10 months later...

hi, i have a boring which stores water in an overhead tank after pumping. I got the water tested. there was some e-coli and slight turdity in the water. the water is not being used for drinking, only for shower etc. turdity is being treated by adding alum in the tank every now and then. however, i shall appreciate if advice can be given on treating e-coli maybe through chlorine etc. my email is Edit: Contact by PM (message)

Q

For an added bonus, when you treat the tank, open each of your faucets one at a time, starting with the one that's the farthest away from the tank for only a minute or two and turn off. This will flush out the entire piping system at the same time. Then drain the tank and refill with fresh water. Then open all your faucets for a few minutes each to flush out any remaining chlorinated water, and your back in business.

UQ

Sounds like a good idea. Are there any problems with running this through electric heaters, rubber, chrome surfaces etc?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Hi.

For your information, The Australian Governemnt's, NSW Health Department has recommended Rainwater Tank guidelines for the correct dosing of chlorine for Rainwater Storage tanks.

You may download the the Rainwater Tank Guidelines, issued by the Australian, NSW Department of Health at: URL removed per forum rules

You may also find other relavant information from this website useful for the safe treatment of rainwater tanks and greywater storage tanks.

If you have any questions, let me know.

regards

Rob Romer

CEO - TankPro

Environmental Clean Rainwater & Greywater Tank Solutions

Image removed, no commercial images in posts please

Q

UQ

Sounds like a good idea. Are there any problems with running this through electric heaters, rubber, chrome surfaces etc?

Thanks,

On no account flush any chlorine down your drains if you have a septic tank or you will have real problems.

• 3 weeks later...

How much should I use? I don't want to put too in much and have problems with unusable water. Also can I just throw the powder in the tank or should I put it in a small bag and hang it in there.

Hi DD. Hypochlorite works well for ridding algae, most bacteria and viruses. The powdered stuff you refer to is Calcium hypochlorite and is the cheapest source of Hypochlorite. A cleaner source is Sodium Hypochlorite in solution. In thailand this is available as Haiter Bleach. It disperses immediately and leaves no particulate residue. Effective within 30 inutes. If the water is still discoloured after this time, repeat the treatment as the hypochlorite will have been used up and no extra amount of time will increase the effectiveness. Leave for 15 minutes

The breakdown products of this are simply water and salt. There are two regimes for treatment. the shock treatment referred to and the maintenance treatment. The difference being the amount of hpochlorite and the subsequent availability of chlorine in the water for the treatments.

It's quite safe to drink this water but as you say may have a bit of a taste. This is also easily dealt with by passing the water over some finely broken charcoal, suspended in a bag or used in a strainer. You can also buy charcoal filters and they're widely available. This is very effective in taking out all kinds of tastes and odours. Best to prepare your charcoal filter by running clean water through it prior to using it as there will be some fines leaching out initially.

The effective level of chlorine is 2-5 parts per million. You can buy a test kit as mentioned by others and they're quite accurate. Test your tank every two weeks if you wish to maintain the chlorine level then simply add another dose. Blocking out light is probably a better alternative in preventing algae growth.

If your tank is layered with algae drain your tank then using some warm water with detergent and Haiter works well. A small squish of dish washing liquid plus 20 mls of Haiter, a couple of buckets of warm water and swish it around. Stand 15 minutes and drain and rinse. The tank will be clean

Hours of searching throughout the internet, getting all kinds of info - before finally finding the needed process for my tank systems here in Thailand. Thanks ... for being part of the TV network. Your post also gave me another idea. How to maintain my tank system without overly stressing my filters on my reverse osmosis unit. some simple PVC fittings and screening can create an in-line filter positioned vertically from our water tanks to the house. I've got shut-off valves not far above and below this, so I can add charcoal into the screen, flush it for the black dust, then add have it filter excess chlorine before reaching our taps. Hope this photo works. I'm showing it rotated on its side in case I can't position the photo to the side of this text.post-68308-1247632518_thumb.jpg

I look forward to reading any further comments as to the filter idea.

Hours of searching throughout the internet, getting all kinds of info - before finally finding the needed process for my tank systems here in Thailand. Thanks ... for being part of the TV network. Your post also gave me another idea. How to maintain my tank system without overly stressing my filters on my reverse osmosis unit. some simple PVC fittings and screening can create an in-line filter positioned vertically from our water tanks to the house. I've got shut-off valves not far above and below this, so I can add charcoal into the screen, flush it for the black dust, then add have it filter excess chlorine before reaching our taps. Hope this photo works. I'm showing it rotated on its side in case I can't position the photo to the side of this text.post-68308-1247632518_thumb.jpg

I look forward to reading any further comments as to the filter idea.

Your RO membranes need to be checked out. Some mebrane material is very quickly destroyed by hypochlorite. There are other mebrane materials which aren't affected I believe. It would be a matter of where the filters were in relation to the RO system that could be considered also.

Hypochlorite> charcoal> RO should be OK. Keep the hypochlorite at the lower end of effectiveness and top up daily rather than splurges intermittently which gives peaks of higher levels. rationally the high peaks would probably do the damage.

Another thought on this is to use an inline UV sterilizer. This will kill the bugs if selected appropriately for flow rate. Use the charcoal filter after UV to remove any bad odours or taste caused by the bugs. UV sterilizers must be checked periodically and for reliability go for a good brand. Follow their replacement maintenance advice.

• 3 weeks later...

hi I put hita in my tank and it works well cleans the pipes as well as the tank you do not need to worry about it for a few weeks then the green algae will return bleach evaporates from the water and will need to be a regular thing . you might find your taps block up with the dead green this is easy to get out. most taps here have a filter at the end unscrew the filter and clean it run the taps for a while. electric showers can block up to they have a filter in the in port you need to clean this too so don't run the shower or toilets until you have run the taps and all the algae has been flushed out.

in the uk the water is all treated with chlorine and lots of other stuff as well to make it drinkable so it is safe to use the water but not for fish as it will burn the gills good luck

hi, i have a boring which stores water in an overhead tank after pumping. I got the water tested. there was some e-coli and slight turdity in the water. the water is not being used for drinking, only for shower etc. turdity is being treated by adding alum in the tank every now and then. however, i shall appreciate if advice can be given on treating e-coli maybe through chlorine etc. my email is Edit: Contact by PM (message)

Some time ago on this forum, I do recall advising people not to draw drinking water from a well or bore. Why? In Thailand, septic systems are like everything else Thai...they are constructed with hardly any thought.

A septic system will leach sewage into the surrounding soil (& therefore, water table). The general result is a high e-coli count (at least).

This is the reason why you have e-coli present in your bore water. The source (septic tank) of the e-coli can be as far away as a couple of kilometres.

I would not recommend the use of chemicals unless the type of tank does not allow "high pressure cleaning".

If chlorine is to be used, I have found an excellent document that advises exactly what type of chlorine to use & how much to use.

rainwater_tanks.pdf

Edited by elkangorito

• 9 months later...

Been adding small amounts of calcium hypochlorite granules to our drinking water for a while and really got a strong whiff of chlorine gas when I opened the plastic container of granules the other day. This stuff is dangerous to use so be careful out there! I think the occasional rains and high humidity got the granules reacting in the container which collected the gas until I opened it.

http://www.tec.org.au/safersolutions/a/44?task=view

The stuff also will release gas when exposed to sunlight.