Briton Receives Death Sentence

Cheeky Farang

Briton Receives Death Sentence over Thai Drugs Haul

_40476883_wilcox_flannaghan_ap203.jpg

Stephen Wilcox, 39, and Anthony Flannaghan, 33

BANGKOK: -- A Briton was today sentenced to death and another jailed for more than 30 years for drug possession in Thailand.

Anthony Flanaghan, 34, from Nuneaton, will face execution if he fails to win an appeal against his conviction.

But the UK Government today said it would intervene on his behalf should all legal options be exhausted.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “Our policy is to make representations against the use of a death sentence where it is imposed against a British citizen.

“Obviously we are going to be seeking advice from Mr Flanaghan’s lawyer. We have to wait for all appeals to go through.”

Flanaghan was found guilty of illegal drug possession with intent to sell and handed his sentence by Bangkok judge Thawat Choonkluabthong.

He denied the charges and said that he planned to appeal.

Stephen Willcox, 39, from Leicester was given a 33 and a half year prison term and fined £10,000 after admitting possession of drugs including heroin, amphetamines and Ecstasy.

The men were shackled at the ankles and handcuffed together in court. They wore brown and orange prison uniform.

Acting on a tip-off, police arrested Flanaghan and seized an unspecified amount of heroin from him in April last year as he got off a bus in Bangkok from north-eastern Udon Thani province.

Flanaghan told officials that Willcox had paid him to transport the drugs.

Police then searched a house where Willcox lived on the southern resort island of Koh Samui and said they confiscated 1.23 ounces of heroin, 11 amphetamine pills, 14 Ecstasy pills and 1.06 ounces of marijuana.

The defendants have 30 days in which to lodge an appeal but any appeal process could then drag on for months.

It has often been known for westerners in Thailand to have death sentences commuted to life in prison.

Both men have been receiving consular assistance and officials have been in touch with Willcox’s family.

But Flanaghan has told UK officials he had no family to inform.

--Scotsman.com 2004-11-01

Original story from 2003:

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=58&tt_news=285

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, I think all farangs should read this before coming to Thailand, in fact they could hand out leaflets to passengers on Thai bound Aircraft.

Many people really do believe they can do whatever they want in Thailand.

Harsh reality is different.  :o

They deserve what they get......we all know the consequences of drugs in Asia...I work in courts here and see the consequences of drug use on a daily basis...

No sympathy

No pity

No appeal

Silly boys. But the amounts seem quite small, no?

This is a warning that for even a small amount of drugs the penalties are harsh.

An ounce of smack is quite a lot, but the rest u could quite easyly get thru in a weekend if u were that way inclined :o

They will be giving the death sentence to people for smokin a spliff before long :D

As foreigners in this country we are all perfectly aware of the harsh concequences more than happily dealt out by the Thai courts for such actions.

It is just another case of wanting the good life without having to work hard for it.

Living a dream you cant afford, well now they are living a nightmare that maybe they will not be able to afford either and may end up paying the ultimate price, life.

I dont know which would be worse, giving up 30+ years of your liberty to the Thai prison system or the neadle, personaly i think i would prefer the quick way out.

Noodles.

Everybody have obviously made up their decision already.

What if these guys are innocent? Do you believe the Thai judicial system is that good that you would be prepared to risk someones life on it?

Stop for a second and think about it logically, would anyone be stupid enough to risk his life for 1.whatever ounce of whatever drug it was?

There is a proverb that if something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

I think the opposite applies as well, nobody can be so stupid. I am more inclined to believe that someone wanted one or two of these guys put away and make sure whatever was needed to do the job was found on their person/premise.

Scary IMO!

What if these guys are innocent? Do you believe the Thai judicial system is that good that you would be prepared to risk someones life on it? 

Stop for a second and think about it logically, would anyone be stupid enough to risk his life for 1.whatever ounce of whatever drug it was?

I think the opposite applies as well, nobody can be so stupid. I am more inclined to believe that someone wanted one or two of these guys put away and make sure whatever was needed to do the job was found on their person/premise.

Scary IMO!

One pleaded guilty....must be stupid eh ???

Scary IMO!

I'm sure you are aware that if you insist you are innocent you are killed.

If you plead guilty you are spared.

And you still have to suggest that pleading guilty actually means anything?

Let me be clear, I don't do drugs and I don't sanction the use BUT on the other hand I don't really see why anyone should limit anyone else's freedom to do to themselves what they want.

If drugs were legalized there would be no profit in dealing and hence no incentive to make anyone else addicted. Furthermore, those who were addicted could go to the pharmacy or wherever and get their drugs without having to resort to a life of crime to support the habit.

Logically it would seem that someone with the power to make decisions has an interest in keeping this a profitable market.

Let me be clear, I don't do drugs and I don't sanction the use BUT on the other hand I don't really see why anyone should limit anyone else's freedom to do to themselves what they want.

If drugs were legalized there would be no profit in dealing and hence no incentive to make anyone else addicted. Furthermore, those who were addicted could go to the pharmacy or wherever and get their drugs without having to resort to a life of crime to support the habit.

Logically it would seem that someone with the power to make decisions has an interest in keeping this a profitable market.

Legalize drugs!!! Oh yeah... great idea... NOT.

I am one of those people who are easily 'addicted' something to do with a lack of receptors in the brain that trigger dopamine into the system. There are millions of people like me... I am hooked on nicotine. I cannot stop. I have tried every way known to man, including hypnosis and therapy. I am not a stupid person, my IQ is 142 and still I cannot stop smoking. I am now 60 had a quadruple bypass at 48 and still smoking 30 cigarettes per day. It is killing me and nothing I can do about it. Along with heart disease, I have emphasima (spelling?) and lung damage from TB.

Now here's the problem with legalization. Kids will have access to dangerous drugs as I had as a kid. They will do what I did... and get older kids to buy them for them. They will, or many of them will have no chance in life... they will become addicts as kids and die early, or suffer brain dammages... It happens NOW even when drugs are expensive. Kids still get hold of them.

I think Thailand has the right approach.

I feel pretty sure that the street executions of over 2000 supposedly thai drug dealers was wrong. but im sure you know best.

I apologize for the edge on this post.

Instead of killing drug dealers and their patrons, why don't we instead shoot alcoholics. Alcohol causes far more probloems in every society than do drugs. But, I do not think that the head of Chang Beer would agree with that idea. Or, better yet, simply enforce the laws aginst drunk driving and the like.

If one believes that it is right for the government to halt the consumption of a drug or otherwise by the populace because one small minority becomes easily addicted, then what else should the government do to the majority because of the requirements or in fact, genetic weaknesses of a small minority?

If personal weakness, including biological, leads one to behave in such a way as to harm oneself, then maybe the government should simply hold these people in a safe location so that the rest of society can live in such a way that their genetic design allow them to.

I do not smoke, drink, use any form of drug nor have I ever.

The major problems with drugs are crime due to their being expensive as they are illegal.

Legalize drugs!!! Oh yeah... great idea... NOT.

I am one of those people who are easily 'addicted' something to do with a lack of receptors in the brain that trigger dopamine into the system. There are millions of people like me... I am hooked on nicotine. I cannot stop. I have tried every way known to man, including hypnosis and therapy. I am not a stupid person, my IQ is 142 and still I cannot stop smoking. I am now 60 had a quadruple bypass at 48 and still smoking 30 cigarettes per day. It is killing me and nothing I can do about it. Along with heart disease, I have emphasima (spelling?) and lung damage from TB.

Now here's the problem with legalization. Kids will have access to dangerous drugs as I had as a kid. They will do what I did... and get older kids to buy them for them. They will, or many of them will have no chance in life... they will become addicts as kids and die early, or suffer brain dammages... It happens NOW even when drugs are expensive. Kids still get hold of them.

I think Thailand has the right approach.

I do sympathise with you being addicted to the biggest killer drug on the planet, second only to Alcohol - unless you take into account the number of murders or accidental deaths where alcohol was a contributory factor, especially in Thailand where drinking and driving seems to be regarded as a bit of a joke. Now kids can and do get access to these legally available (and taxed) killer drugs so by your logic instant prohibition should be introduced for alcohol as some people are more predisposed than most to becoming alcoholics. The economist produced an excellent article in 2002 covering the case for legalising all drugs in my oppinion anyone who read it could only conclude that the current situation is madness costing lives due to impure drugs, lining the pockets of drug dealers and preventing proper attention being given to treatment and rehabilitation, not to mention the huge economic benefits of not enforcing prohibition and the collection of tax revenues.

Now IF there has been no setting up of the two men convicted and they were dealing in large quantities of heroin then I have little sympathy for them as they knew the risks. I do however think that the governments of the world bear equal blame in making drug dealing so lucrative through their misguided policies.

Instead of killing drug dealers and their patrons, why don't we instead shoot alcoholics.  Alcohol causes far more probloems in every society than do drugs.  But, I do not think that the head of Chang Beer would agree with that idea.  Or, better yet, simply enforce the laws aginst drunk driving and the like. 

If one believes that it is right for the government to halt the consumption of a drug or otherwise by the populace because one small minority becomes easily addicted, then what else should the government do to the majority because of the requirements or in fact, genetic weaknesses of a small minority?

If personal weakness, including biological, leads one to behave in such a way as to harm oneself, then  maybe the government should simply hold these people in a safe location so that the rest of society can live in such a way that their genetic design allow them to.

The major problems with drugs are crime due to their being expensive as they are illegal.

Let us, just as a mental practice, stretch your reasoning to the extreme. Imagine your friend was about to commit suicide and told you this was his deepest wish. Would you do something to stop him?

I feel that along the same lines, society has the same responsibility to not let the populace get totally wasted on any drug in order to reduce harm to society as a whole.

If everyone truly was an island and not connected to or affecting the lives of their families and friends, I would agree with you. But drugs (and I include alcohol and tobacco in that definition) DO harm people, not only the health of those who take them.

You *might* affect the crime rate positively by legalizing some drugs, I am not saying you would not (I do not have reliable statistics proving either case). You would almost certainly cause greater strain on health services, because of the problems drug inevitably cause to health and the social fabric. I am fairly certain you would also experience increased use of recreational drugs in many countries. I don't really think that is desirable.

Instead of killing drug dealers and their patrons, why don't we instead shoot alcoholics.  Alcohol causes far more probloems in every society than do drugs.  But, I do not think that the head of Chang Beer would agree with that idea.  Or, better yet, simply enforce the laws aginst drunk driving and the like. 

If personal weakness, including biological, leads one to behave in such a way as to harm oneself, then  maybe the government should simply hold these people in a safe location so that the rest of society can live in such a way that their genetic design allow them to.

I'm in total agreement and where you point to the prevention of susceptable individuals having access to the drugs which harm them I would point to many aboriginal communities which have voluntarily foregone alcohol as they have developed no native tolerance to it.

As per usual there seems to be a conflict of ammounts in the various reports.......

"A police spokesman said: "On checking his bag he was found to be carrying

1.5kg of heroin wrapped in rubber ready for swallowing or hiding internally."

The other report stated 1.5 ounces??

All I can say is that this guy should be in the Guiness book of records for having the largest rectum!! :o

Hmmmm, I think all farangs should read this before coming to Thailand, in fact they could hand out leaflets to passengers on Thai bound Aircraft.

Many people really do believe they can do whatever they want in Thailand.

Harsh reality is different.  :o

They deserve what they get......we all know the consequences of drugs in Asia...I work in courts here and see the consequences of drug use on a daily basis...

No sympathy

No pity

No appeal

I'm not the most computer savvy, so I'm hoping my response follows the lawyer guy who "sees the consequences of drug use on a daily basis...No sympathy, no pity, no appeal". What about cops who plant drugs on perfectly innocent folks?

I lived and worked in Bangkok for four months & never associated myself with folks using drugs for the realistic fear of guilt by association. I don't use drugs & know the potentially hellish problems associated with using them in Thailand.

However, the lawyer guy seems way out of line in outright rejection of sympathy. I was searched on the street by two cops for NO reason outside of being white and young in appearance. I've known of incidences where corrupt cops plant illicit substances on innocent victims only to demand payment on spot. I've heard the going rate is 50,000 baht.

What happens if you don't have that money or if you'd like to defend yourself in a court of law? Apparently, don't hire this pompous lawyer guy. There are, in fact, plenty of instances where arrestees are innocent.

quadruple bypass, still on 30 sigz a day....trying to convince us you are not stupid?? ehhhh :o

Representatives of the law...killing people....hahahaha

Lets kill all smokers....or even better...let them kill themselves.. whats the differenc between heroin and nicotine? besides nicotine killing far more people than heroin...? The nicotine producers have been protected by the british government for a long time....

The drugs in the drugstores are very available, cheaper and more potent than the drugs on the street....and guess what...They are legal! hahahah

there is usually one reason to deal drugs....making money....making it illigal just adds curiosity and profits.....i dont have to spell it out for you, have i?

i can go to the pharmacy and buy a lb of morphine pills (opiate drivate just like heroin) and go home and shoot up, but i can not smoke a nice joint on a saturday night.....common....just the fact of making nature illegal. ...doesnt it seem abit...unnatural?

a friend of mine has to do urine test every week to show he is off drugs....while he is at the hospital...he disposes his syringes.....as biohazard waste....and they dont even manage to put two and two together....hahahaha

did you know you will test positive for heroin if you eat a poppy seed bun?

do you think its right to kill someone high on bagles?

do you think its right to kill anyone?

heres my solution...start by killing goverment officials,,,then represtentatives of the law.. and last but not least...politicians.....and the world would again be a peaceful place.....amen.

Scary IMO!

The Thai prisons are full of innocent people who "confessed" and "pled guilty".

Here is the orignal story, when they got busted  on April 22, 2003:

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=58&tt_news=285

No mention in the follow-up about the third member, a Mr. Andrew Potter, who was arrested with these two according to the original post???? :o

-----------------

also, just noticed something:

202 User(s) are reading this topic (181 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)

and it's almost 1am?!?!

guess that curb on late socializing is increasing readership here?

That is very harsh... in the US, one would likely get very little time in jail or perhaps even probation... even in the harsh South. Death? 30 years? Jesus.. I thought Thailand was located in Asia, not the Middle East.

If police can do whatever they like based on a tip... what is to stop someone from planting drugs in your place then tipping off the police? Or as someone pointed out, stopping the police from planting drugs on you for the purposes of extortion?

The penalties are ridiculous... they open too many possibilities for ruining the lives of the innocent not to mention those guilty of bad judgment and too much self-indulgence... very scary.

:o

although i have little in the way of admiration for the thai police i find it hard to believe that they would plant such a large amount of heroin on a random passenger getting off a bus.

far more likely that he was grassed up by the person that sold him the heroin.

in which case he was guilty as charged and should not have been surprised when he heard the sentence.

whatever we may think of the severity of the sentence , those are the laws in thailand , and i'm sure he was aware of them before he purchased the drugs.

as well as being guilty of possession of heroin , he is also guilty of possession of an inadequate brain and a large amount of stupidity.

this story has nothing to do with whether drugs should be legalised or not , this story is about lawbreaking .

Doctor John...they do tell you about drugs on the airline. It is on the card you have to sign for immigration.

There are also scary signs all around the Thai airports telling you, but then again, you have to be able to read. :o

These people who deal with drugs in Thailand are below the level of 'stupid' and probably can't read anyway. :D I don't have a problem with soft drugs and it is almost legal in my country but I still would never attempt to use them in Thailand. You can't trust anyone there and you never know who will report you. :D

Big reward money for Thais to turn in a farang for drugs. The government likes it because they can show the world and Americans they are cracking down...ya sure, things are never what they seem in Thailand.

As for those who think laws are as easy in Thailand as it is in their country, "som num na farang".

Loong Dave

ps Doc, if you got this as personal mail I am sorry. Don't post much so not sure how this works.