Best Offshore Bank

I am not a UK or US citizen, live and work in Thailand for the last 15 years and I am looking to put some money in a risk free investment hoping to get a return of minimum 6%.

I was thinking to open an offshore account with hscb or any other good bank.

Can I open an account online and what banks offer this minimum rate?

Do you want Fixed Term Deposit? Notice Accounts? or Instant Access?

What currency do you want to put the money into? Sterling I'm guessing if you're talking 6% (or Aus$ or NZ$?)

I just happen to have the HSBC website open and their best rate is 5.71125% if you put 500,000 quid in a 1 year fixed deposit

I put a post on here yesterday about ICICI Bank in Singapore, who are offering a very good interest rate on fixed term deposits. I am still awaiting some feed back from anybody who has had personal dealings with them in Singapore. With their rates of interest, they may well be worth further investigation. Take a look at their web site.

I've had funds with HSBC and they're ok..BUT their fees are high.

Australia seems to be offering the best rates at present (safe too) @ 8.25%

All the major banks there seem to have similar rates.

Check out: National Australia Bank, ANZ (Branches in BKK), Westpac, Commonwealth.

I am not a UK or US citizen, live and work in Thailand for the last 15 years and I am looking to put some money in a risk free investment hoping to get a return of minimum 6%.

Citibank international personal banking in Singapore, best bank I have ever been with....HSBC is expensive and the customer service is cr*p.....

Can do all the initial documents on line, send a certified copy of your passport, will need a min of $K25 to open the account

You dont say want currency so cant comment on the rates you will get...

Aren't 8% rates for an onshore AUS$ acct. in Aust. for which you need to be an Aust. citizen/resident?

The best rates I have found for offshore AUS$ accts are around 7.2-7.4%

For UK pounds:

Money Supermarket

The best rates dominated by the Icelandic backed banks. A bit of a decision to make there juggling credit ratings and maximum guaranteed amounts covered if everything goes toes upwards.

Do you want Fixed Term Deposit? Notice Accounts? or Instant Access?

What currency do you want to put the money into? Sterling I'm guessing if you're talking 6% (or Aus$ or NZ$?)

I just happen to have the HSBC website open and their best rate is 5.71125% if you put 500,000 quid in a 1 year fixed deposit

I don't need to withdraw capital so fixed term will be fine, I may want to withdraw intrests, currency: no currency is stable against the baht

I put a post on here yesterday about ICICI Bank in Singapore, who are offering a very good interest rate on fixed term deposits. I am still awaiting some feed back from anybody who has had personal dealings with them in Singapore. With their rates of interest, they may well be worth further investigation. Take a look at their web site.

From what I see you need to be a UK citizen for at least 1 year and have a UK bank account

From what I see you need to be a UK citizen for at least 1 year and have a UK bank account

Rono, I had another look at the ICICI website in Singapore, and can't see the conditions that you have listed. I have e-mailed them for clarification, and if I get a reply, I'll let you know. Did you look at their Singapore website or their UK one? Best regards.

• 10 months later...

absolute nonsense! ICICI, SIN accepts locals and foreigners as clients and offers indeed excellent interest rates not only on fixed deposits but on call money too. besides that they are offering something rather rare, namely an interesting floating rate deposit. problem is that rates are not published but have to be negotiated subject to amounts. worthwhile to mention is that all deposits are guaranteed by the state of Singapore till end of 2010. accounts cannot be established by mail, but in person only. power of attorney can be granted by submitting documents by mail.

I am not a UK or US citizen, live and work in Thailand for the last 15 years and I am looking to put some money in a risk free investment hoping to get a return of minimum 6%. I was thinking to open an offshore account with hscb or any other good bank. Can I open an account online and what banks offer this minimum rate?

you can hope but it is hopeless :)

Aren't 8% rates for an onshore AUS$ acct. in Aust. for which you need to be an Aust. citizen/resident?

The best rates I have found for offshore AUS$ accts are around 7.2-7.4%

For UK pounds:

Money Supermarket

The best rates dominated by the Icelandic backed banks. A bit of a decision to make there juggling credit ratings and maximum guaranteed amounts covered if everything goes toes upwards.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK FEES, TERMS AND RATES CLOSELY WITH Scandinavian, Swiss (and most EU banks) as well as Japanese banks. If you want to use your money and transfer often, the costs can be high. Singapore is closer, offshore, safer, Tax haven, open to multi-currency accounts… but you need to check if their interest rates are high enough return. If distance is not an issue…Dubai.

Edited by DMasut

I am not a UK or US citizen, live and work in Thailand for the last 15 years and I am looking to put some money in a risk free investment hoping to get a return of minimum 6%. I was thinking to open an offshore account with hscb or any other good bank. Can I open an account online and what banks offer this minimum rate?

you can hope but it is hopeless :)

When the poster first wrote (July 2008) it was quite easy to achieve that; sadly not now, as you note.

I use Hsbc and opened an offshore account via their office in Bangkok. Depending on the ammount in the account they will pay 6% long term, or higher.

What type of account did you open (they have several options) and in what currency?

i recommend DBS in Singapore

their Treasures personal banking service for high value accounts is second to none

they make HSBC look like rank amateurs.

if you are a non Singaporian resident you need an introduction from an existing DBS account holder of 6 months good standing

you will find what you need there.