Title Deed Problems

At 25/11/07 My wife and I moved into our apartment in Pattaya.

We were told that our title deed would be ready for us 3 months after we moved in.

We payed 50/50 in the transfer costs with the apartment block owners when we moved in.

It has been a further 5 months and they will not provide the title deed.

I have spoken to different management staff in the office on numerous occasions but keep getting told next month - next month.

Can anyone here explain what the legal rights are of an apartment owner in receiving their title deed?

Does anyone have an opinion on why they keep stalling?

Hmmmm

You say that you paid 50% of the transfer costs, but did you actually go to the land department on the day of title transfer? If you did, then you would have got your title deed the same day.

You say that you have moved in, but if this is a new condominium then legally you should not allowed to move in until the condominium has been officially registered, and has the certificate of use which means that titles should be available from day one.

Please tell me that you have not paid the full amount for the unit.... or have you.

In your posts you use a worrying term, "Apartment" which in Thailand usually only refers to residential units for lease, in which case they would not be able to get a title deed for your unit, unless they can register it as a condominium. But still that's their problem and the you should not pay until you have the original red sealed chanode in you hands.

Did you use a lawyer to handle the conveyancing? Who is the developer?

Frankly I cant see any reason why it would take so long to get a title deed and I'm seriously concerned that you are being scammed.

Hmmmm

You say that you paid 50% of the transfer costs, but did you actually go to the land department on the day of title transfer? If you did, then you would have got your title deed the same day.

You say that you have moved in, but if this is a new condominium then legally you should not allowed to move in until the condominium has been officially registered, and has the certificate of use which means that titles should be available from day one.

Please tell me that you have not paid the full amount for the unit.... or have you.

In your posts you use a worrying term, "Apartment" which in Thailand usually only refers to residential units for lease, in which case they would not be able to get a title deed for your unit, unless they can register it as a condominium. But still that's their problem and the you should not pay until you have the original red sealed chanode in you hands.

Did you use a lawyer to handle the conveyancing? Who is the developer?

Frankly I cant see any reason why it would take so long to get a title deed and I'm seriously concerned that you are being scammed.

Quiksilva,

I`ve used the wrong term, They are condominiums.

They are actually old condo`s which have been gutted then re-furbished. Foreigners can own them.

At the time of paying tranfer of title deed costs, they went on to explain that they handle sending in the deeds.

Since we have payed 50% of transfer cost I know that thailand has changed the title deed costs. The office has informed us that we are due for a refund.

There is 1 foreign guy that works in the office. He has stated that every month they send in about 10 title deed transfers, that if even 1 of the title deed transfers has paper work that is missing

that the land department rejects them all.

I have asked for a refund and the title deed to get it done myself but they state that they cannot do this.

I`m hoping that employing a solicitor will bring this process to an end.