Un Issues Warning Of Attacks In Bangkok

Cheeky Farang

3 November 2004

BANGKOK - The United Nations has warned its staff in Thailand to be careful following threats by a separatist group to stage attacks in Bangkok in revenge for the deaths of 85 Muslim protesters in the south last week.

The UN said in an e-mail to more than 1,000 staff in Thailand, which Reuters obtained on Wednesday, the threat “cannot be dismissed or be taken lightly”.

“It is entirely possible that an attack is being planned against a soft target in Bangkok,” said the two-page note from chief security officer Russel Radford.

“It is important that staff exercise caution when moving about the city and be aware of what is happening around them.”

Security in Bangkok malls and public transport was ”designed to combat petty crime and would not be that effective in preventing an attack”, he said.

Seven protesters were killed during clashes with security forces at a police station in the southern province of Narathiwat last week and 78 suffocated or were crushed in army trucks after they were detained.

Following the deadly incident, the Pattani United Liberation Organisation (PULO), a separatist group largely dormant since the 1980s, said on its Web site at www.pulo.org that insurgents would now take their fight to Bangkok.

The deaths unleashed Muslim outrage and grisly reprisals in the past week, including the decapitation of a Buddhist village leader in the restive Muslim-majority region where more than 450 people have been killed since violence erupted in January.

Violence continued on Wednesday when militants shot and wounded a Buddhist garbage collector. Two colleagues escaped unhurt, police said.

MUSLIM REPRISALS

In an attempt to ease Muslim outrage and reprisals, a government-appointed panel to investigate the deaths promised its probe would be free and open.

“We will do our best to conduct our probe independently and transparently,” Pichet Soontornpipit, head of the nine-member panel appointed by the government, told Reuters.

“We understand that this incident is not only being followed closely by Thais; foreigners are also paying close attention,” said Pichet, a former parliament ombudsman.

The investigation team comprises six retired state officials and three Muslim scholars.

Pichet said the panel would talk to all parties involved in the protest which sought the release of six village militiamen accused of handing over government-supplied weapons to militants.

It would focus on how protesters died during the 150-km (90-mile) journey into army detention, he said.

“When we know what caused the deaths, we will find out and rule on who should be responsible,” he said.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told investors in Singapore on Tuesday; “This is something that should never have happened.”

“Nor was it the government’s intention to shoot its own foot by creating an incident that would cause such great trouble for itself,” Thaksin said from Bangkok via a video conference.

On Wednesday, he told reporters the government was trying to restore peace and stop attacks on civilians in the region, but it needed support from all sides, including Muslim clerics.

“We have to do our best to stop cruelty against innocent people,” Thaksin told reporters. “Therefore I would like to ask the media not to attack authorities for their previous mistakes. Give them some sympathy. They are human beings who have made mistakes.”

Thaksin also called on Islamic leaders to help mend ties between authorities and Muslim communities in the region.

“Now we have to pinpoint individual clerics and seriously ask for their cooperation if they think they still love this country and think they are Thai,” he said.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle...ection=theworld

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 November 2004

BANGKOK - The United Nations has warned its staff in Thailand to be careful following threats by a separatist group to stage attacks in Bangkok in revenge for the deaths of 85 Muslim protesters in the south last week.

The UN said in an e-mail to more than 1,000 staff in Thailand, which Reuters obtained on Wednesday, the threat “cannot be dismissed or be taken lightly”.

“It is entirely possible that an attack is being planned against a soft target in Bangkok,” said the two-page note from chief security officer Russel Radford.

“It is important that staff exercise caution when moving about the city and be aware of what is happening around them.”

Perhaps these overpaid and underworked parasites will forsake their "Blue Plate" Mercs etc. then, because for sure that's the easiest way to identify them.

UPDATE:

U.N. Issues Warning of Muslim Attacks in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- The United Nations has warned its staff in Thailand to be careful following threats by a separatist group to stage attacks in Bangkok in revenge for the deaths of 85 Muslim protesters in the south last week.

The U.N. said in an e-mail to more than 1,000 staff in Thailand, which Reuters obtained Wednesday, the threat "cannot be dismissed or be taken lightly."

"It is entirely possible that an attack is being planned against a soft target in Bangkok," said the two-page note from chief security officer Russel Radford.

"It is important that staff exercise caution when moving about the city and be aware of what is happening around them."

Security in Bangkok malls and public transport was "designed to combat petty crime and would not be that effective in preventing an attack," he said.

Seven protesters were killed during clashes with security forces at a police station in the southern province of Narathiwat last week and 78 suffocated or were crushed in army trucks after they were detained.

Following the deadly incident, the Pattani United Liberation Organization (PULO), a separatist group largely dormant since the 1980s, said on its Web site at www.pulo.org that insurgents would now take their fight to Bangkok.

The deaths unleashed Muslim outrage and grisly reprisals in the past week, including the decapitation of a Buddhist village leader in the restive Muslim-majority region where more than 450 people have been killed since violence erupted in January.

Violence continued Wednesday when suspected Muslim militants shot dead a Buddhist policeman and a Buddhist shop owner and injured two Buddhist victims in three separate incidents in the region, police said.

A brawl also broke out in parliament Wednesday when a senator, who led a fact-finding team to the south last week, punched the face of another senator, who was trying to interrupt his colleague from presenting the team's report to the Senate.

--Reuters 2004-11-03

Also, just found this on the warning page of the www.pulo.org web site:

WARNING

Persons who plan to visit Thailand,

Due to the political instability in Thailand, the

provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Satun, Songkhla,

Phuket, Pangnga, Krabi and Bangkok are not safety places

for you to visit. Please avoid to travel to the

above-mentioned provinces or avoid to travel to Thailand

for your own safety. Vi advice you to cancell your trip

to Thailand if you do not want to take risks.

If you are in the above mentioned provinces, we advice

you to avoide policestations, music conserts, cafes, bars,

nightclubs, railway stations and airports.

After the massacre in Tak Bai, Narathiwat, Thai policemen

and military officers are the main and only targets of

the peole attacks. Please double check that you are not

standing or sitting near them nor visiting their offices.

Leave the suspected places immediately.

Hat Yai Railway Station has been bombed at least 3 times

before. If you are planning to travel to Malaysia from

Bangkok, be wise and do not use the rout. The city of Hat

Yai is the most dangerous place in Thailand.

Be informed that the coming operations are targetting for

Thai policemen and soldiers only. The operations will be

performed by Patani liberation movements that are not

under our control. Therefore, we are not responsible for

the damages or lost after this warning.

P. P. PULO

(www.pulo.org/warning.htm)

What does everyone make of this?

3 November 2004

Thaksin told reporters. “Therefore I would like to ask the media not to attack authorities for their previous mistakes. Give them some sympathy. They are human beings who have made mistakes.

“Now we have to pinpoint individual clerics and seriously ask for their cooperation if they think they still love this country and think they are Thai,” he said.

Therefore, how about they hold up their hands, accept responsibility, and are suitably punished to prevent such incidents occurring again?

FAT CHANCE THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN

Interpretation - Thaksin is asking the media to allow him and his officials to do absolutely anything they weant to do without pause for thought.

Could you see the leader of a DEVELOPED AND RESPONSIBLE nation making a comment like that?

The member who commented about Northern Ireland may not be far from the truth...... Keep a travel bag handy folks.

Here is their account of the number of vitims and injured.

Tak Bai Tragedy 25 Oct 2004

Bodies killed by gun found on the ground: 6 persons

Killed in the evening during the transportation to the military camp in Pattani: 78 persons

Died in the hospital: 1 person

Pushed into the river and killed: c:a 35 persons

Bodies found in the river 29 oct 2004: 18 persons

Under Thai military custody: 1,298 persons

Injured: 730 persons

Missing: 255 persons

35 were thrown into the river after surrend

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:kJwy48N...=en&lr=&strip=1

Also another page popped up from their site. Anyone know what it`s about?

http://www.thaily.com/

Islam is Peace

cough cough cough

This is just as inaccurate and generalised as saying Islam is evil.

It requires more than the uncritical recitation of slogans to understand what is happening.

Any thoughts on what to make of the Pulo warning in this context?

Religions themselves are rarely evil (though I've pointed out some very disturbing exhortations in the Koran more than once). People who follow religions, now that's a different story. Once a religion becomes your life you lose track of the real world and those around you. The faith is ALL.

Once a religion becomes your life you lose track of the real world and those around you. The faith is ALL.

Are you refering to re-born Christians? :o

Them as well. Telling them to "Go to hel_l and I'll talk to you then!" may be satisfying but wastes oxygen.

Do the christian god-botherers go around killing people?

3 November 2004

Thaksin told reporters. “Therefore I would like to ask the media not to attack authorities for their previous mistakes. Give them some sympathy. They are human beings who have made mistakes.

Therefore, how about they hold up their hands, accept responsibility, and are suitably punished to prevent such incidents occurring again?

FAT CHANCE THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN

Interpretation - Thaksin is asking the media to allow him and his officials to do absolutely anything they weant to do without pause for thought.

Could you see the leader of a DEVELOPED AND RESPONSIBLE nation making a comment like that?

The member who commented about Northern Ireland may not be far from the truth...... Keep a travel bag handy folks.

Them as well. Telling them to "Go to ###### and I'll talk to you then!" may be satisfying but wastes oxygen.

The American people have just given a born-again Christian the mandate to continue, notwithstanding the "Go to ###### and I'll talk to you then!" you recommend. :o

Once a religion becomes your life you lose track of the real world and those around you. The faith is ALL.

Are you refering to re-born Christians? :o

The other day I visited Wat Oomong in Chiang Mai, a very old chedi I'm told maybe 500 years plus. A peaceful calming place to vist which provokes thoughts of peace in these troubled times. On walking through a mural house I read a tablet with the following verse which is entirely relevant and applicable to all of us who walk this earth. As follows:- "WHY IS IT SO"

BUDDHA DHAMMA IS NOT THE RELIGION OF EVERYONE WHO CALLS HIMSELF A BUDDHIST. FOR MANY ARE FOUND WHO CALL THEMSELVES BUDDHISTS BUT DO NOT CONDUCT THEIR LIVES ACCORDING TO THE DHAMMA AS TAUGHT BY GOTAMA BUDDHA.

CHRISTIANITY IS NOT THE RELIGION OF EVERYONE WHO CALLS HIMSELF A CHRISTIAN. FOR MANY ARE FOUND WHO CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS BUT DO NOT CONDUCT THEIR LIVES ACCORDING TO THE DHAMMA AS TAUGHT BY JESUS CHRIST.

PEOPLE OF OTHER FAITHS ALSO FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY.

BUT ALL HUMAN BEINGS REGARDLESS OF AGE AND SEX, DESIRE HAPPINESS AND HATE AND AVOID SUFFERING.

THAT IS WHY THEY PROFESS A RELIGION IN WHICH THEY TAKE REFUGE.

THIS BEING SO, WHY IN THE WORLD MEN HAVE PREJUDICES AGAINST ONE ANOTHER - ALL JUST BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERENCE OF NAMES OF THEIR RELIGIOUS FOUNDERS.

"WHY IS IT SO".

What you think amigos?

This will again affect tourism.

The FCO travel Advice to Thailand has been updated.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagena...d=1013618386505

Criminy.... after reading all the FCO warnings there, I can't imagine ANYONE wanting to come to tour Thailand.

Have to agree with that.

I just read it myself, if I was just thinking about a holiday destination and I read that report, I would certainly stay away.

Will tourist numbers be down this High Season ?

:o

Them as well. Telling them to "Go to ###### and I'll talk to you then!" may be satisfying but wastes oxygen.

The American people have just given a born-again Christian the mandate to continue, notwithstanding the "Go to ###### and I'll talk to you then!" you recommend. :D

:D Correction.....Not the American People - try the politics of money and connections ( ever see Fahrenheit 9/11? ) to include outside support which can definately add to the confusion of where the majorityof "American" people have come from ( remember - the USA - the Great Melting Pot... People from all over the world immigrating to the US...)

Islam is Peace

cough cough cough

This is just as inaccurate and generalised as saying Islam is evil.

It requires more than the uncritical recitation of slogans to understand what is happening.

Any thoughts on what to make of the Pulo warning in this context?

I secon your opinion. Generalising the Islam as an evil religion wouldn't bring a better light on Christianity.

PULO's website says it's targeting only police and military officers. Why would they target nightclubs and tourist destinations then? I am in Koh Lanta and will be travelling to Bangkok via Krabi (Th Khao San Road of course) for a few nights. Better to give Khao San Road a miss for a while?

PULO's website says it's targeting only police and military officers. Why would they target nightclubs and tourist destinations then? I am in Koh Lanta and will be travelling to Bangkok via Krabi (Th Khao San Road of course) for a few nights. Better to give Khao San Road a miss for a while?

Why target nightclubs / bars etc. in the South there is the police eating and drinking free so not free than will the police closed the nightclubs / bars etc.