What Can I Delete Without Fear?

KohKarrang

I've got a tiny HD on my Asus eee pc and I'm forever battling with programs to free up some space, I've been looking around and found some large folders but I'm not sure if I can delete these without fear of losing important data...

I've performed a disk clean up but I've still only got 230MB+ of free space, can anybody recommend what is ok to delete and what is not? INF files for example, are they ok to clear?

Please help :o

I've got a tiny HD on my Asus eee pc and I'm forever battling with programs to free up some space, I've been looking around and found some large folders but I'm not sure if I can delete these without fear of losing important data...

I've performed a disk clean up but I've still only got 230MB+ of free space, can anybody recommend what is ok to delete and what is not? INF files for example, are they ok to clear?

I am a computer illiterate, but I read about the Process Security Manager in either The Nation or Bangkok Post (forget which). It can be found on the link below and gives a good indication of what is safe to delete and what isn't. Still, since I know so little about this stuff, better to wait until someone else here comments on it.

http://www.app-zilla.com/

Disable pagefiling or set it at 128-256 and delete/disable restore points.

Turn off your PC's hibernation.

Uninstall unused or rarely used programs and use XPlite to trim down Windows

Process Security Manager is used to stop processes but not to delete or remove files. It's an entirely different thing.

Edited by sensei

go on internet and find the eee-pc user forum they have some great advice for slimming xp down to as little as 589mb. but in reality you will get it down to about 1.2gb. dont use windows media player use something like k-lite codec media player classic. hope it helps.

typed on a ee-pc 701

also think about getting a sd card to go in the slot or ext hd. i run 4gb in the slot and 120ext

Edited by thaicbr

Thanks for the tips, I got xplite and that reduced things slightly, I could have lost about 100mb+ if I'd bought the pro version but didn't think it was worth it, I also reduced my pagefiling to 128mb, as soon as I done this I got a warning from windows telling me that I was low on virtual memory and that windows was increasing the size of my virtual memory, hope this doesn't adversly affect my pc...

I had already uninstalled all unwanted/unused software but still only had 230mb of free space, I now have 1gb+ which is enough for now but I suppose I'll have to do a complete format when that shrinks down to 200mb+ again

Take a look at WinDirStat, it graphically shows the entire contents of a hard drive (or subfolder if you wish). It won't tell you what's safe to delete, but it's an excellent way to see what's taking up big chunks of space. Just hover the cursor over each square and it will tell you the filename and location. Just google the large file names and see what comes up.

I used it last week to thin out a friend's EEE, it worked very well. I was surprised to find that that the database of malware and phishing sites for FireFox 3 (urlclassifier3.sqlite) can grow to well over 100MB, usually at least 50 MB on most machines, as big as 150 on some.

post-2597-1215747371_thumb.png

You can delete all those "$NtUninstallKB....." files in Windows folder if you don't want to uninstall any of the Windows updates you've applied.

Also reduce the amount of space assigned to System Restore to anything from 1.5G to zero.