Living In Bangkok - Why Is Everything Furmished ?

seancbk

Hi all,

I'm about to move to Bangkok and have noticed (searching online) that almost all apartments come fully or at least partially furnished.

My questions are, first of all are Thai landlords willing to remove items you don't like before you move in ?

Will they come and remove things at a later date, for example if they provide a 28" TV and I want to go out and buy a 52" Plasma, would they be willing to remove their little old TV ?

Same question applies to everything else, if I don't like the sofa / table / chairs etc and want to replace them (once I've found things I like) with my own, would that be a problem ?

Next questions are relating to buying stuff... is there a market for second hand items ? In Hong Kong (where I am coming from) expats typically sell off a lot of their stuff when they leave and in some cases it might be less than 1 or 2 years old.

It also seems that leases are for only 1 year, how does anyone make their place feel like home if they are only living in it for a year ? or do people just renew year after year. Is it possible to get 2, 3 or 4 year leases ?

I presume that painting walls, putting up pictures etc is allowed so long as you pay to return the apartment to the condition you took it in ?

Apologies for asking so many questions, hope someone can answer them though

Thanks

Edited by seancbk

1) Most landlords are too lazy or dont have the space to take unwanted furniture.

2) Yes many places to find second hand stuff, Thai Visa, Baht Sold.com, Craigslist etc.

3) Most landlords only ask for 1 year, most would probably take 2 if they could get it.

4) Regarding pictures, painting etc, case by case with each landlord.

1) Most landlords are too lazy or dont have the space to take unwanted furniture.

2) Yes many places to find second hand stuff, Thai Visa, Baht Sold.com, Craigslist etc.

3) Most landlords only ask for 1 year, most would probably take 2 if they could get it.

4) Regarding pictures, painting etc, case by case with each landlord.

Thanks BKKJames

Appreciate you taking time to answer.

Sean

In my condominium 1) yes they took out all stuff I didn't want, Fridge microwave sofa coffee table love seat & ottoman.

2) I asked for & got a 2 year lease.

3) When I hang pictures my wife gives me aggro saying "1 hole = 500 baht" However I can either leave the screws or fill the holes with spackle.

I asked that the unit be painted before moving in & I have painted it ay my own cost again.

I don't mind buying fittings since I plan to be here a long time & I want it cozy.

My lease says the landlord is responsible for repairs over 2000 baht. That's fair. She already bought a complete new 24,000 BTU air con for the living room.

I installed a hot water storage tank & replaced the bathtub tap with modern single lever mixer.

So as above - depends on the actual building - some will have storage - some won't. It's possible the owner has other units they can utilize unwanted furniture.

Good Luck