Visa For Uk In Expired Thai Passport

Dear all, could anyone please assist.

My wife is a Thai lady and previously lived in the UK with myself for the last two and a half years. Due to family sickness my wife returned to Thailand in March 2008 to help take care of a family member.

My wife will return to the UK in November 2008 but has a slight problem. During her present visit to Thailand her passport expired, she now has a new passport, her old passport has a cancelled stamp in it from the Thai authorities but the problem being that her old passport is the one with her indefinite leave visa in it issued by the Home Office in the UK.

Could you please assist in advising as to what we should do in these circumstances as I am concerned that she might be refused entry to the UK as her old passport is out of date and her new passport does not have a visa to reside in the UK in it.

Your advice and assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards...Slipery

This is a guess, but if I may say so myself, an educated one. Your wife's situation is a technicality, it is not as if she has been negligent, or deliberately done something wrong. I think that if she writes a letter to the relevant authorities, they will "transfer" her visa to her new passport - they generally do have "transfer" and "correction" stamps.

My own situation was not precisely the same, but similar. I was issued an erroneous Work Permit, erroneous in the sense that it was issued for longer than the remaining validity of my passport. When the authorities subsequently realized that they had made a mistake, they first repeated the error in my new passport, then stamped a correction right next to it. In my situation, the mistake was all within one country (Thailand), and the officials could easily contact each other by phone if they wished to. This is not nearly as easy in an international context, but worth a try anyway I think.

I have a similar situation, I have a multi entry O visa, but my passport was full.

I got a new passport from the UK in May, the corner was cut off my old passport with my visa.

Now I travel with my old and new passport and show both at immigration, they stamp my new passport and just confirm the visa in my old passport.

I have come through immigration about 4 times this way without any problems.

I have worked with several people who have done this in various countries around the world.

This I imagine will be an international standard and the UK should be no different in accepting the new passport with the old passport being shown to confirm the visa.

FD