Which Island/city You Prefer For Longterm Living?

Which island/city you prefer for longterm living?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This poll more concentrated on places that attract tourist, because

i am trying to target toursit in future. I have also leaved out bangkok

i am quite fimilier with this city.The downside about BKK is nothing to

do day time, except to work, and not much differs from some other

part of the worlds in some aspects.

Important criteria to look for is:

Healthy living, low cost of living, friendliness toward forigners,

business oppourtunities, good facilities/infrutrcture.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd live in Koh Lanta. I never voted as its not on the Poll. Maybe Krabi. Though thats not there either. Only Krapi. I've been to many Krapi places but not in Thailand.

Sorry for misspelling, i meant krabi :o . Does this forum have Poll Editing

feature?

Can you recommand some few more places that attratcs lot of tourist?

Only toursit attracted places please. Thanks

Koh Tao

Koh Panghan(spelling)

Koh Chang

Koh Samet

Koh Phi Phi

To name a few.

Would you tell me how to edit poll as i need to add some more

names? Is Koh panghan where backpackers go for full moon

party? I heard they sleep on the beach side. Not any insult meant,

but do they have any buying power?

Not sure how to edit. Yes people go here for the full moon. Some have to sleep on the beach because they can't get accom. Depends on what you mean by buying power. Some dont have much money and are on a budget.

I have requested moderator to add more choices.

But my question aimed for long-term living, where

you will be driven crazy, bored in some these much

smaller islands  :o  Do you agree?

I have been to phuket and pattay. I think Pukhet

resembled a big city while maintaining it's natural

living too, my other alternative to BKK

I don't know, I have lived on Koh Phangan for 15 years and the only crazy I've got is the one I came with :D

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in life, if you want to relax then the smaller islands are the place to do it, Koh Tao would be difficult (for business) as it is a Natl Park and the opportunities there (as well as transportation) can be limited. I, personally, would not live on Koh Tao as getting stuck during bad weather doesn't appeal, but then I wouldn't mind Koh Samui as the "big city life" :D can be more fun (esp for a dedicated shopper such as myself :D ). Koh Phangan isn't just the Full Moon Party and to immediately assume that people who carry a backpack have no money is sheer foolishness. Phuket doesn't appeal, too busy, too many idiots, too much traffic. Never been to Pattaya or any of the other islands listed (going to the beach for a holiday isn't my idea of a holiday, I live on the beach) so I couldn't give you much feedback on them.

but then I wouldn't mind Koh Samui as the "big city life" :D can be more fun (esp for a dedicated shopper such as myself :D ). Koh Phangan isn't just the Full Moon Party and to immediately assume that people who carry a backpack have no money is sheer foolishness. Phuket doesn't appeal, too busy, too many idiots, too much traffic.

I enjoyed your reply back :D . Ok since you are knowledgeable about Kou samui

and kou phangan, I have few question for you:

-What's the reason for water outages in samui, and when and where happens?

-I read somewehere in here, that less and less tourist are coming to samui

despite most accomadtion are empty, but more homes are build everyday,

seems very contradicting? why is that?

-What is popoulation of local samuies and phangan , and what total toursit

turn out in a year and which catogaries?

-Is samui more expensive than Pukhet in general? Does samui have muslim

community like phuket, if yes, what is their profession Exa. fisherman, shop

keeper,.. ?

Thanks

Dear kind moderators,

I think poll feature in this forum is acting in very stupid manner.

If you click veiw result first , then you won't be able to vote?

That is why we have very few votes

Why the hellll is it like that  :o

Its supposed to be like that.

Dear kind moderators,

That's the way the software works, not much we can do about it.. Note that it does say "Null Vote" on the button when you click to view results. The poll creator also has the option not to allow people to do this without voting.

Anyway, in the larger scheme of things, compared to one particular poll on the other side of the world last week I'd say you have a good chance of getting over this one a lot faster/easier. :D

(I voted for Chiang Mai by the way, but then again I live there. Not sure many tourist-only islands are that suitable long term, though I very much enjoy holidaying there. )

Cheers,

Chanchao

Wha tha??? You left off Hua Hin???? Easily the BEST lifestyle choice in LOS imho.

I'm heading there to settle after work's all done. I'll put one caveat, IF Chiang mai were on the coast, WITH Doi Suthep, now that would be a choice! Meantime, best is even further south of hua Hin, near Sam Roi Yawt natnl park....and don't tell anybody! (oops;)

Wha tha??? You left off Hua Hin???? Easily the BEST lifestyle choice in LOS imho.

I'm heading there to settle after work's all done. I'll put one caveat, IF Chiang mai were on the coast, WITH Doi Suthep, now that would be a choice! Meantime, best is even further south of hua Hin, near Sam Roi Yawt natnl park....and don't tell anybody! (oops;)

I selected These cities/resorts that have to meet two criteria:

-Attracting large number of toursit

-longterm living

I think Hua Hin attracts more expats and some regular toursits

,and but don't attract large # of new toursits every time.

I agree on chiang mai.

Too bad there is no option to check "Manhattan" for Island/City for longterm living in the Poll.... :o

Ok, I'll bite. If we're including Long Island, I'd put Victoria, British Columbia, miles ahead of the big apple... ''Keep Manhatten and give me that country side'' (Quote from Uncle Jed, the Beverly Hillbillies...No 'cement pond' for me;)

Back on track- Hua Hin, hands down.

Now you're getting my meaning :o Sounds like you have an underlying plan to mass market/flog to alot of sheep/tourists....

Ibiza could be better for your purpose?

Come on man, out with it already, what's your master plan here anywayz? :D

Quote;

"Now you're getting my meaning Sounds like you have an underlying plan to mass market/flog to alot of sheep/tourists....

Come on man, out with it already, what's your master plan here anywayz?"

Hmm, could be a breach of confid.... .... here D!

Say, how come you have time to post on forums? :o

> Why you have decided to live in chiang mai?

> I think the biggest downside is that chiang mai

> is a city not a resort like other, meanwhile very

> far from bangkok and other major cities.

Chiang Mai IS a major city (as far as non-Bangkok cities go in Thailand): Pretty much anything you can do in Bangkok you can do in Chiang Mai, and cheaper, and especially more conveniently.

Basically imagine Bangkok with cooler weather, far less of everything but still international enough to have your choice of enterainment, nightlife, English language movies, international restaurants, etc, all much cheaper than Bangkok and easier to get to. Yet, when you're bored with city stuff you can be on a mountain near a waterfall in about 20-30 minutes drive. AND, not being a 'resort' it measn you can actually be there and not feel like you're being treated like a walking ATM tourist all the time. Finally, Chiang mai is for people who actually like the "Thai" in Thailand. (Same is true for many other places of course, just not the main tourist resorts)

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Why you have decided to live in chiang mai?

> I think the biggest downside is that chiang mai

> is a city not a resort like other, meanwhile very

> far from bangkok and other major cities.

Chiang Mai IS a major city (as far as non-Bangkok cities go in Thailand): Pretty much anything you can do in Bangkok you can do in Chiang Mai, and cheaper, and especially more conveniently.   

Basically imagine Bangkok with cooler weather, far less of everything but still international enough to have your choice of enterainment, nightlife, English language movies, international restaurants, etc, all much cheaper than Bangkok and easier to get to.  Yet, when you're bored with city stuff you can be on a mountain near a waterfall in about 20-30 minutes drive. AND, not being a 'resort' it measn you can actually be there and not feel like you're being treated like a walking ATM tourist all the time.  Finally, Chiang mai is for people who actually like the "Thai" in Thailand. (Same is true for many other places of course, just not the main tourist resorts)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yep, I'm with you Chanchao. Lived in los, on and off, for the last 6 years and been in Chiang Mai for the last 4 months and it wins hands down. The climate is perfect for a start, nice cool nights this time of year, and I love the mountains. Not a big city person, but Chiang Mai lends the convenience of the big city if you need it and is also fairly compact.

Hua Hin also nice, but getting really touristy. Makes me laugh when people say they can't live in a place like Chiang Mai because they like to be near a beach, yet they rarely look at it. With Chiang Mai, the mountain is always there, smiling at you. Beach is only a short flight away and I do love the beach, second to the mountains but you can stick Bangkok right where it hurts!! :o

but then I wouldn't mind Koh Samui as the "big city life" :D can be more fun (esp for a dedicated shopper such as myself :D ). Koh Phangan isn't just the Full Moon Party and to immediately assume that people who carry a backpack have no money is sheer foolishness. Phuket doesn't appeal, too busy, too many idiots, too much traffic.

keeper,.. ?

Thanks

1st question: water shortages on Samui have been mainly the result of overbuilding without adding to the infrastructure. Same problem as everywhere in Thailand really, lack of forward planning.

2. Don't know about less tourists, frankly, most people complain during the off-season, it's feast or famine (Phangan is the same) everybody pretty much comes at the same time. So, other times of the year feel quite empty. I kind of like it, gives the place a homier feeling to not be "touristy" year round. As for more homes, many of those tourists come, like what they see and choose to stay. I see no contradiction.

3. Samui is around 50,000 -60,000, actual population including migrant workers probably tops a total of 80,000 but I don't know that for sure. Koh Phangan is about 7,000 registered locals (ie people on the tabien bahn) add in newcomers and migrants and we are well over 10,000 now. Tourists? No idea. Sorry, I am sure the TAT would have those statistics.

4. No idea if Samui is more expensive, how do you mean? Land? cost of living? Muslims in Samui tend to be fishermen I believe. On Koh Phangan we have a small local muslim community, a great bunch of people overall; hardworking, good neighbors. Mostly fishermen or coconut plantations. Same as the rest of the locals here.

Dear kind moderators,

That's the way the software works, not much we can do about it.. Note that it does say "Null Vote" on the button when you click to view results. The poll creator also has the option not to allow people to do this without voting.

Anyway, in the larger scheme of things, compared to one particular poll on the other side of the world last week I'd say you have a good chance of getting over this one a lot faster/easier. :D

(I voted for Chiang Mai by the way, but then again I live there. Not sure many tourist-only islands are that suitable long term, though I very much enjoy holidaying there. )

Cheers,

Chanchao

I have lived in Bangkok and Chanthaburi, and had long terms in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Rayong amongst others.

I'd live in BKK again at the drop of a hat if the money was right.

Chiang Mai seems like a bit of an illusion. Chanchao's description of it was similar to the one which attracted me there. In reality it was mini Bangkok with nicer scenery.

Pattaya.....well.... is Pattaya. I like it there a lot but it did grate after a while and I was glad to get out before I started hating it.

Rayong was sound. A very nice place with all of the trimmings, a beautiful coastline but not too much else.

Chanthaburi was pretty much perfect. BKK 3 hrs away, Patters 2 hrs, Samet and Ko Chang 1 hr.

Very laid back place with friendly natives and some top nightspots. I also liked the lack of any real expat community which was good for the Thai and with the above places so close getting that dose of expat trappings was no major hassle, in fact it was nice to be able to leave all that behind when it all got a bit much.

Now you're getting my meaning :o Sounds like you have an underlying plan to mass market/flog to alot of sheep/tourists....

Come on man, out with it already, what's your master plan here anywayz? :D

Most plans need money and need some time to be given to it

work around it and not try work it immidiatly. Briefly i can tell

you that i am targeting Middle eastern who traveling more to

east than before, since they travel less to west now because

of the visa requirement and the way they are treated at airports.

What my plan is that's a secret, meantime not easy to apply

immidiatly. I need to think a lot

keeper,.. ?

Thanks

1st question: water shortages on Samui have been mainly the result of overbuilding without adding to the infrastructure. Same problem as everywhere in Thailand really, lack of forward planning.

2. Don't know about less tourists, frankly, most people complain during the off-season, it's feast or famine (Phangan is the same) everybody pretty much comes at the same time. So, other times of the year feel quite empty. I kind of like it, gives the place a homier feeling to not be "touristy" year round. As for more homes, many of those tourists come, like what they see and choose to stay. I see no contradiction.

3. Samui is around 50,000 -60,000, actual population including migrant workers probably tops a total of 80,000 but I don't know that for sure. Koh Phangan is about 7,000 registered locals (ie people on the tabien bahn) add in newcomers and migrants and we are well over 10,000 now. Tourists? No idea. Sorry, I am sure the TAT would have those statistics.

4. No idea if Samui is more expensive, how do you mean? Land? cost of living? Muslims in Samui tend to be fishermen I believe. On Koh Phangan we have a small local muslim community, a great bunch of people overall; hardworking, good neighbors. Mostly fishermen or coconut plantations. Same as the rest of the locals here.

Thanks for info. For your info, pukhet is 400,000 locals and attracts

avarage monthly 250,000 toursit. According to some survey, avarage

spending per person in Phuket is going down.

Need to pay a visit to kou samui too, But seems pukhet is the more

right place for me after Bangkok