Shell Game Scam Still Going On In Pattaya

jaansinatra

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to remind everyone that this scam is still going on,

the other day i went to top up my Honda Wave bike before a longish journey.

I already had a qaurter of a tank and wanted it filled up.

My tank when empty takes about 3.5 litres to fill usually costs 90-100bt. at my usual gas station on Thepprasit Rd.

On this occasion they topped me up and charged me 120bt, when i alraedy had 1/4 of a tank it should have been 70-80 bt.

Looked at the pump dials that showed they put in 3.1 litres, price per litre was 29.8 which eqautes to 92bt total.

Conclusion is that the pumps could be rigged to give less fuel at a higher price.

Problem is there is always a qeue behind waiting to be served which makes it harder to stop and question the scam.

So my advice is avoid this petrol station unless you don't mind paying extra for your fuel.

I usually always go to the one at the top end of Thepprasit and in the last 5 years of filling up my bike there i've never paid more than 100 bt. and thats when im nearly running on empty!

• 1 year later...

Hi ! Just would like to inform you on an incident happened to me today at the south Pattaya Shell Petrol station. There s was an elderly foreigner in front of me in the row. They started filling his bike without resetting the pump after the previous customer,starting from 60 baht and they charged the guy 210 baht for a scooter fillup..He didnt notice it.I tried to warn him and the stuff started PUSHING % TRIED TO BEAT ME UP.My friend got between us and stopped a fist fight with the stuff. They were very angry because I caught them cheating .

Normally I avoid this dodgy Shell station but today I was in a rush and had to fill up at there..and I m shocked to see this is still going on after so many incidents. I m so disgusted at what happened . I cant believe this has gotten so far and noone does anything about it . Emailed Shell hoping some sort of action will be taken against these filthy people.

most of these stings are carried out on persons who are newbees to thailand/pattaya . people who are not aware of these type of scams.

so into the forecourt comes a car which drives into the motorcycle only area ... they now know they have got their man , someone who is either a newbee

or not too clever and so they try their scam . if you drive into the forecourt and park in the proper area you have little chance of getting scammed . stop acting the idot .

Hi ! Just would like to inform you on an incident happened to me today at the south Pattaya Shell Petrol station. There s was an elderly foreigner in front of me in the row. They started filling his bike without resetting the pump after the previous customer,starting from 60 baht and they charged the guy 210 baht for a scooter fillup..He didnt notice it.I tried to warn him and the stuff started PUSHING % TRIED TO BEAT ME UP.My friend got between us and stopped a fist fight with the stuff. They were very angry because I caught them cheating .

Normally I avoid this dodgy Shell station but today I was in a rush and had to fill up at there..and I m shocked to see this is still going on after so many incidents. I m so disgusted at what happened . I cant believe this has gotten so far and noone does anything about it . Emailed Shell hoping some sort of action will be taken against these filthy people.

They are still doing it all day long - They also do it with Thais, as several Thai friends told me. Many of us have been in touch with Shell Singapore/Thailand..... Nothing has changed. The one older guy gets very aggressive when you call him a thief and once sprayed a friend of mine with gasoline. All we can do is keep writing to Shell & the newspapers. TIT.wub.gif

people have the luxury of going there knowing you're going to be cheated, so you're prepared for them. then when you catch them in the act, you can shame them. but they are crooks, so they dont have any shame or guilt.

the reason i keep going back there is because i really dont care. and i have no fear of being cheated there since i am on guard from the second i arrive. and i guess i enjoy catching them in the act, just like i enjoyed pushing the guy today who was standing trying to block the meter.

yes this has been going on for years at this station. i also enjoy going to the first aisle with a car that cleary says " motorcycles only" cause the crooks know they have an extra distrction they can try on me but i'm so on to them, i'm so prepared for their cheating it wont happen. i should go there with a friend with a camera and film some "gotcha" footage for Pattaya cable t.v.

still think the crooks at Home Works are worse;

i go to the V Power pump for diesel and dont think they do it there

Im amazed that certain people continue to go to the same filling station even though they get ripped off. They must get some sort of buzz out of it.

I think the reason is simple :

I don't see any other station in South Pattaya area...

Im amazed that certain people continue to go to the same filling station even though they get ripped off. They must get some sort of buzz out of it.

I think the reason is simple :

I don't see any other station in South Pattaya area...

Do you actualy look? There's a handful of filling stations around!

On the flipside, I use Caltex on Sukhumvit (near Tesco Lotus). They are very polite and always clean your windscreen, ask if you want air in your tyres etc. On one occasion my car wouldn't start due to a flat battery - so the attendant runs to his car, brings out a set of jump leads and sends me on my merry way with smile (and no charge). A refreshing change from Shell.

I always get out first, look at the pump and then go back into my car to release the petrol cap, this way they can't do any mischeive

Like so many of you I have had bad experiences there and my friends also. Year after year. Here is a link to the Thailand Shell Staion web site with contact info.

http://www.shell.com//home/Framework?siteId=thailand-en

Feel free to unload at the contact email address or by telephone. I am sure the head office will get right on this. They will want to know where thier cut of the money is.

--------------------

LLL

Here is a repeat of my solution. I do think this link alerted the Shell Company some time ago. Try again.

LLL

So could you please make a useful answer and list some of them ?

There's 9 located between pattaya south and North. Allpattaya dot com website lists them. Personally I've used 4 or 5 over the years off suk' road. Hence I can't understand why someone would keep going back even though they know they're getting ripped off.

So could you please make a useful answer and list some of them ?

There's 9 located between pattaya south and North. Allpattaya dot com website lists them.

Wrong anwser. There is NONE on your Allpattaya list.

My post was :

I think the reason is simple : I don't see any other station in South Pattaya area...

and your stations are North Pattaya or on Sukhumvit !

Do you really think people living near Walking Street will drive 3km to get 2 litters of petrol?

No. They buy petrol from small local stands... or from the only near station : Shell :(

Do you really think people living near Walking Street will drive 3km to get 2 litters of petrol?

No. They buy petrol from small local stands... or from the only near station : Shell :(

Yes I think people would travel 3km to get petrol if the only other option was knowingly getting ripped off. I know I would, then again I think I have a little common sense.

Yes I think people would travel 3km to get petrol if the only other option was knowingly getting ripped off. I know I would, then again I think I have a little common sense.

There are lots of people who would travel the 3Km as most of the pumps are on Sukhumvit. I would, and do ever day. 3Km isn't very far.

Since people are getting ripped off at the Shell station. It' would be better to buy from the litter bottles or go the hand pump on Pratamnak Rd., than to get continually obsessed over the scam at the Shell station.

Besides that, I hate the motorbike queues at the Shell station.

I'm with you patrickinpattaya :thumbsup:

On the flipside, I use Caltex on Sukhumvit (near Tesco Lotus). They are very polite and always clean your windscreen, ask if you want air in your tyres etc. On one occasion my car wouldn't start due to a flat battery - so the attendant runs to his car, brings out a set of jump leads and sends me on my merry way with smile (and no charge). A refreshing change from Shell.

I always get out first, look at the pump and then go back into my car to release the petrol cap, this way they can't do any mischeive

Same same.At every petrol station that I use I get out of the truck and unlock the filler cap myself and check the pump. Remember guys that TIT so be constantly on your guard. If those who are so consumed with their own importance cannot be bothered to move their comfortable asses out of the driving seat and want to be waited on hand and foot then they deserved to be taken. If the staff don't offer to check oil levels, clean the windscreen or check tyre pressures then there is no prospect of a tip. Tips are for those who perform above the call of duty.

There are two petrol stations on Thepprasit adjacent to each other. From Pattaya Tai turn right into Soi Kopai and turn left on reaching Thepprasit. Else continue on Pattaya Tai and turn left into an Esso station 50 yards down Sukhumvit.

Anybody who doesn't call in somewhere and take on fuel as soon as they know their tank is only one quarter full obviously likes to live dangerously and will get stuffed at some time. Obviously it is not only uneducated Thais who think that 'Buddha will take care'.

I was overcharged at this scam petrol station 17 [seventeen] years ago.

I have never used it since.

the meters have been interfered with.I always check my mileage when filling and this place appeared to put more petrol in my car than the tank should be able to hold.

I was overcharged at this scam petrol station 17 [seventeen] years ago.

I have never used it since.

the meters have been interfered with.I always check my mileage when filling and this place appeared to put more petrol in my car than the tank should be able to hold.

99.9999% likely that the meter was not reset from the previous customer.

Fiddling with the flow calibrations is a complex, time consuming task. (Government seals are placed on all sensative areas)

In addition, surprise tests are frequent from both the government and fuel company. As a petrol station owner, you do not want to fail these tests as the fines are steep, and your licenses, and franchise agreements will not be renewed.

IIRC acceptable flow calibration is +/- 10cc / 5000cc.

So to summarise: You were probably scammed, however, it was by the staff (possibly with the manager or owner's knowledge, however more than likely not), and not by the petrol company and/or equipment.

Was scammed last week at the Jet gasstation along motorway #7 near the Laem Chabang intersection.

I was filled up and once ready I was asked to move my car forward; in the meantime they asked for my credit card. (2 actions that asked for attention).

I received the receipt: THB 1220 although it should have been somewhat around THB 900.

Of course, another customer was being helped (I moved out of the way).

Next time, I'll ask for a "bai set" (invoice) and stay put until I've paid. dam_n, after hundreds of tank fillings they got me after all. ph34r.gif

There are lots of people who would travel the 3Km as most of the pumps are on Sukhumvit. I would, and do ever day. 3Km isn't very far.

Since people are getting ripped off at the Shell station. It' would be better to buy from the litter bottles or go the hand pump on Pratamnak Rd., than to get continually obsessed over the scam at the Shell station.

Besides that, I hate the motorbike queues at the Shell station.

I'm with you patrickinpattaya :thumbsup:

Bless you, thought I was on my own for a minute :jap:

• 1 year later...

After reading those new posts, I decided to give it a try, after years of avoiding this Shell station:

Pulled in, few bikes waiting. Pulled to the left front attendant, a young girl and was greeted with a smile. The nasty older guy, exposed and shown on various forums over the years, still working on the car side.

The sun was in my face, so could not read the meter. But was confident it was reset, as the girl pulled the handle of the meter with the usual metallic bang, that indicates the lever was reset.

Well, well....Still with a smile she pointed to the meter and wanted 240!!!! Baht All my bike takes is 160 when totally empty.

I got off the bike, looked at the meter close up, made sure everybody around, mostly Thais, listened, pointed at her and said in Thai: You are a thief! Just like everybody here. A small bike never takes 240 Baht!

Turned to the people and repeated it. Without exception everybody supported my statement, as there are plenty of warning signs in Thai and they try the same with Thais with somewhat lower amounts. She then immediately with her face down, probably had lost it and was looking for it on the fl. said: Sir 160 Baht for you. I try again in a year, maybe Shell Thai/Singpaore/Global will finally do something about this. BTW. The jet-ski scams are still going on, nothing will ever change. Just a question of wanting to live here and being able to deal with it.

Over to the Thai scam defenders.....:-) PF.

Scams are just about everywhere, and when you look in one direction, you get hit from another. But that being said, you dont start pushing staff around, to get them out of your way, and the op said he did. Thats about the quickest way to get in some deep trouble. Keep going back to the same place you got scammed at? Wow, that is really funny. I have several places that have short changed me, and didnt realize until I had left, but will stop using their services.

I see that some posters mentioned to the staff that they were wrong, and they all the staff understood. I really doubt that, since gas station attendants are really not the highest educated, and some are not educated at all, so to believe your explanation to them, on what they were doing wrong, was understood,

No Way.

If someone rented a jet ski, and got ripped off, I doubt they would go try and rent another one, but for some reason, catching scammers at a gas station, seems to be a hobby, which could back fire some day.

I never FILL UP my bike or truck anymore, just ask for either 100 baht or 1000 baht, at least they cant short change you this way, and its a lot faster, than waiting for someone to find change for you. I guess it might also help, if when you pull in to the pump, park with your window right next to the pump, instead of being polite, and moving ahead, like we do back home.

It's not only the Shell.

The guys at the Caltex on Sukhumvit, direction Sattahip, between Neurnplubwan and KaoNoi tried the same.

I came with a 10l plastic canister and told them, to fill it with the 91 benzine. I usually pay ~450-470 Baht to fill it.

Talked with a friend while they did it.

The guy came to me and wanted almost 600 Baht...I looked at the meter => 12.8 liter...cheesy.gif

I laughed at him, refused to pay and started to shout a little bit to get attention from the other folks, which I got immediately.

I showed the guy the "10 l" print on the canister, but not sure if somchai understood me.

A half minute later he disappeared with the canister and emptied it somewhere inside the gas-station.

He came back and told me, he would fill it up again.

He took of the nozzle from the pump and wanted to start filling the canister.

I interrupted him and showed him that the meter showed already 60 Baht (from the bike before).

The guy looked helplessly to a small box, in the center of the gas-station with another guy inside

I realized that this guy in the small box, could reset the meters manually (or even not)!

After that, he filled my canister, and bingo 10.2 l....

I just looked at him, smiled, payed the 450 Baht and went away.

Seemed he lost his face twice in a few minutes...

Som nam na....Stupid idiots.laugh.png

Edited by Turkleton

• 5 months later...

Arrrgh! Just got scammed at the Pattaya Tai Shell station 20 minutes ago.

I forgot to check that he reset the pump and he managed to fill more than the size of my tank charging me 50% more than I usual pay.
When I complained he told me to drive away, or else...
I filed complaint with their head office and they actually called back and confirmed my complaint.

Customer Service Telephone: (66) 0 2657 9888

So check that they reset the counter BEFORE you let the loser idiot scammer fill it up!!

Here is an updated contact info...enjoy

Contact Us

House Address: 10 Soonthornkosa Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110

Postal Address: P.O. Box 345, Bangkok 10501

Telephone: (66) 0 2262 6000, 0 2249-0491

Fax: (66) 2 249-8393

Email: [email protected]

Customer Service Telephone: (66) 0 2657 9888

Unfortunately they don't give a shi....!! we went through the USA >>> Singapore >>>> Thai Shell after a serious incident a couple of years back >>> Friendly but non-committing. Already back then they had mugshot in their files, the same cross still work there these days....And they cheat nonstop....Just sit on the sideline and watch.... This is Thailand....