Shell Game Scam Still Going On In Pattaya

jaansinatra

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are just scared and jump to conclusions.

I don't have a car but I fill my motorbike once a week, I go to the station on theppasit, I have seen the meter at 140 baht, they filled up my bike full, and the meter said 220.4 baht as usual I paid 80baht.

They are able to do simple calculations.

I think you are just scared and jump to conclusions.

I don't have a car but I fill my motorbike once a week, I go to the station on theppasit, I have seen the meter at 140 baht, they filled up my bike full, and the meter said 220.4 baht as usual I paid 80baht.

They are able to do simple calculations.

This topic is about the notorious station on Pattaya Tai, there is no shell station on Thepprasit, do try to keep up!

• Like 1

Interesting, I'd never seen this thread before. Must be 10 years ago I figured they were stealing from me at that Shell station. Never been back. I usually try to fill up both my bikes and car at the same station. I personally use a Caltex station on Sukumvit towards Jomtien, rarely busy, haven't noticed then robbing me and they've got Techron in their fuel, that's gotta be good right ?

Overly profane post and quoted replies removed

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

There really is no need to resort to swearing to get your point across.

I think some of you guys go looking for trouble just so you have something to post here.

I recently bought a pick-up and I have filled up at least 5 times at the Shell Station you guys are talking about. I have never had a problem and found the staff to be really nice. Obviously if you are going to fill up, go to a pump which is not being used. It will automatically reset to zero when placed in the pump holder.

Another tip...I always get out my truck and manually take off the petrol cap and hang around the pump until finished...

Colin

...but what happens is when you pull in, part of their scam is to have one guy block your door before you can get out to look at the meter, and have another guy already start pumping the gas, with no resetting of the meter. by the time you eventually get out to check, the meter already may read 400 baht, and still going up, and you don't know that they probaby started the meter at 200 baht, which was leftover from the last guy. that they already got paid for.

I don't doubt that something crooked is going on at this petrol station, but I'm a bit confused.

Even my old truck has a lock on the flap covering the fuel cap, so they can`t pump any petrol until I open it and give them access. Are you you saying that in newer vehicles the flap can be opened without it being released from inside the car or unlocked?

Edited by Wavefloater

On the flipside, I use Caltex on Sukhumvit (near Tesco Lotus). They are very polite and always clean your windscreen, ask if you want air in your tyres etc. On one occasion my car wouldn't start due to a flat battery - so the attendant runs to his car, brings out a set of jump leads and sends me on my merry way with smile (and no charge). A refreshing change from Shell.

I second that. The staff are perpetually friendly, smiling, helpful, courteous. I don't know why but they are never busy.

Do you really think people living near Walking Street will drive 3km to get 2 litters of petrol?

No. They buy petrol from small local stands... or from the only near station : Shell sad.gif

Yes I think people would travel 3km to get petrol if the only other option was knowingly getting ripped off. I know I would, then again I think I have a little common sense.

The nearest station to me is at least 3 K.M. away so I'd answer yes to that too, patrick :)

Also, do these people never go to the shops in the car? Can they not fill up on the way there or back? Or do their cars sit in the street while the petrol evaporates? blink.png

I will keep a civil tongue in my head this time.

Apart from the convenience, maybe most complainants use the dodgy Shell station because it is the only brand name they recognise from their home; Shell is a global brand. Please try the alternatives, even if they are 3-4 km further away.

I have used PTT gas stations almost exclusively all over Thailand. They are generally maintained to a much higher standard than other brands, especially the ones with a 7-eleven franchise on site. I have never been ripped off with dodgy pump boys (although the odd station may have a total Dilbert working the machines so slow service).

Since my last post (that was rightly moderated into oblivion) where I claimed hassle-free service, I have just encountered a dodgy fill at the PTT I use regularly in Udon. When you habitually stick 1000 baht in when the onboard calculator says there's less than ~50km remaining, one knows what the calculator should read and this morning, I was a whole ~100km shy of normal and the fuel gauge itself was lower than normal. I showed the pump attendant and she called the super and after a few words, he went away and came back with a pump handle lock and turned the pump off. He then moved me to the next pump and stuck in an extra 100 baht's worth for free.

You DO have a choice. If this Shell station is a habitual and persistent problem, there's plenty of alternatives with very little inconvenience... apart from the rush-hour bottlenecks on Sukhumvit but they too are easily avoidable.

Many people might not know that at PTT (Blue Flame) and Bang Chak (Green Leaf) the price are a few Satang lower than others, everywhere. since they own the Refinery and all others are essentially buying petrol from them, so, it could be worth a detour, some Bangchak stations (In Bangkok) even have a western style fill it your self for a discount of 10-20 satang. The Petronas on Suk just next to Central Rd is being turned into Bang Chak, so the choice is there