Internet Banking Ac To Open Without Visa/wp

Dear Friends,

A friend of mine wants to open a bank A/C in Bangkok.

He wants to use the A/C remotely via internet for business transfer purpose.

Since he is not a resident here, he does not have visa or wp.

If somebody know any specific bank and its branch that can meet this condition, please let me know.

Dear Friends,

If somebody know any specific bank and its branch that can meet this condition, please let me know.

If lucky, he may be able to open an account.

But for Internet banking - I would think - impossible.

Just for fun, 8 months ago, I went to 4 branches where TV members said opening an account was easy, just passport.

No cigar. Work permit, they asked for.

Even if he can manage to open an Internet account , he will need a mobile phone that can receive SMSs from Thai bank for anything - even for checking the balance. OTP - "One Time Password" that comes automatically as SMS and lasts for 6 minutes or so.

My wife has BKK Bank Internet banking, I use her account to pay BKK utilities - all from Japan. However, for registering the 3rd party accounts we had tro be in Thai and receive that OTP message there.

Dear Friends,

If lucky, he may be able to open an account.

But for Internet banking - I would think - impossible.

Just for fun, 8 months ago, I went to 4 branches where TV members said opening an account was easy, just passport.

No cigar. Work permit, they asked for.

Even if he can manage to open an Internet account , he will need a mobile phone that can receive SMSs from Thai bank for anything - even for checking the balance. OTP - "One Time Password" that comes automatically as SMS and lasts for 6 minutes or so.

My wife has BKK Bank Internet banking, I use her account to pay BKK utilities - all from Japan. However, for registering the 3rd party accounts we had tro be in Thai and receive that OTP message there.

I have spent the last three weeks trying to sign up for an Internet bank account with the Bangkok Bank and they gave me a real run around. The Paragon branch told me that my Non Immigrant visa was okay however my passbooks were out of date as they still had my old passport number and that I needed to update those first. That involved visits to Silom. Suriwong and the branch at Paragon as a change of details on any passbook can only be done at the branch where you opened the account. It turned out that the Paragon branch had been informed by their head office that I needed a work permit to open an internet account. So like many on this forum with their own condo, Non Immigrant visa and ample funds I cannot get an internet bank account from the Bangkok bank. Only a few weeks ago they were urging their staff to get at least one new account 50K or more and to help out a friend who works there I transferred a substantial amount to open a new account. I understand that Siam Commercial is just as difficult. However I have been told that Kasikornbank are far more helpful and if that proves to be the case the Bangkok bank will loose my accounts which although not in the rich category nevertheless I am comfortable. I must add that the two ladies I dealt with at Silom Road HQ in the new accounts section were most helpful and really did their utmost to help me.

Bangkok Bank will allow you open a bank account as a tourist with a tourist visa.

Bangkok Bank will allow you open a buisness account that will show the money being brought into the country is for buisness purposes (in which case no visa is needed as this is strictly a buisness account), dont ask how you are supposed to keep track of your balance.

Internet banking requires a valid work permit. No work permit, no internet access.

All accounts will give you an ATM card.

For ALL changes to your account, you MUST go to the branch where you opened your account. So pick your branch wisely, any signs of in-efficiency can screw you.

Bangkok bank allows you do wire transfers online, via the internet after you set it up (ie online transfers).

Just being pedantic here and I think this is what is required to even attempt this.

Firstly open a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account at Bangkok Bank's main branch - This is where you will get most support. You can open such an account on a case by case basis (for example owning a condominium and using such an account to pay utility bills is a good reason) on a tourist visa only, no need for a work permit. I did this at the beginning of this year. Link for how to do this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Open-Bank-Ac...25#entry1735189

Set up automatic payments utility bill payments (direct debits) at the main branch. Just go with your passbook and bill to counter 54 and it is handled for you, but takes time to set up (several months)

Once you have established yourself as a credible customer, it 'may' be possible on a case by case basis, to set up internet banking.

This is my tactic and I will attempt this in November. Whilst you do actually get interest (which was unexpected) monitoring your account from the UK (in my case) is currently all but impossible.

If anyone has success please post or PM me!

Edited by pkrv

Bangkok Bank will allow you open a bank account as a tourist with a tourist visa.

Bangkok Bank will allow you open a buisness account that will show the money being brought into the country is for buisness purposes (in which case no visa is needed as this is strictly a buisness account), dont ask how you are supposed to keep track of your balance.

Yes. When I was looking into buying a 2nd hand condo directly from the owner, BKK bank said they will let me open an account where the funds will be received from overseas and then do the transaction with the owner's account.

They said I needed a certified photocopy of my passport from my Embassy.

Internet banking requires a valid work permit. No work permit, no internet access.

All accounts will give you an ATM card.

For ALL changes to your account, you MUST go to the branch where you opened your account. So pick your branch wisely, any signs of in-efficiency can screw you.

Bangkok bank allows you do wire transfers online, via the internet after you set it up (ie online transfers).

That's what I thought. Internet banking is impossible with tourist visa only.

I had a different experience with this...

I was able...in the past year...to open a savings account with online banking thru BKK Bank. I did have a business visa...but did not have a work permit then. So I don't think it is correct to say you always need a work permit for getting online banking.

Also, by many reports on TV, Kasikorn Bank is reputed to be pretty good in terms of new account opening.

Just being pedantic here and I think this is what is required to even attempt this.

Firstly open a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account at Bangkok Bank's main branch - This is where you will get most support. You can open such an account on a case by case basis (for example owning a condominium and using such an account to pay utility bills is a good reason) on a tourist visa only, no need for a work permit. I did this at the beginning of this year. Link for how to do this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Open-Bank-Ac...25#entry1735189

Set up automatic payments utility bill payments (direct debits) at the main branch. Just go with your passbook and bill to counter 54 and it is handled for you, but takes time to set up (several months)

Once you have established yourself as a credible customer, it 'may' be possible on a case by case basis, to set up internet banking.

This is my tactic and I will attempt this in November. Whilst you do actually get interest (which was unexpected) monitoring your account from the UK (in my case) is currently all but impossible.

If anyone has success please post or PM me!

I have had my Bangkok bank account for several years and have had my electric bill and telephone bill paid automatically through my bank account also for several years. My savings account has a substantial balance and all my accounts are always in credit. However despite owning a condo here and having a NON immigrant visa the Bangkok Bank are adamant no work permit no internet banking.

One of the things about banking in Thailand that has been made very clear, through the experience of many TV posters here, is that the policies applied by Thai banks -- both at different branches of the same bank, and from one bank to another -- are HIGHLY variable...

There are countless reports here of people in varying circumstances getting a NO answer at one branch of a Thai bank, and then going to another branch of the same bank with exactly the same request/particulars and getting a YES. Read TV postings on banking and you will be buried with those kinds of experiences.

So, for someone in your situation, if you really want to pursue it, the first step would be to try other various branches of the same bank (presumably to open a new account with Internet banking, not trying to add it to an existing account), and if that fails, you could consider opening a new account with a different Thai bank such as Kasikorn.

I had to go thru that same experience myself when first setting up my Thai bank accounts. I got turned down at branches of both banks I currently deal with. But I did my research, checked around, went to other branches, did some persuading and finally had success. So both of my Thai bank accounts have had Internet banking since the beginning. And I never used a work permit, just a business visa, in opening them.

So both of my Thai bank accounts have had Internet banking since the beginning. And I never used a work permit, just a business visa, in opening them.

"Just a business visa"....what does that mean? 300.000 US$ invested in Thai stock market and 1 year stay? That could be far better that English teacher with WP. Of course you can do some persuasion wth that.

Now that you have distorted the thread by telling us you have business visa and 2 bank accounts with Internet banking, back to the question:

Here we are talking of someone on a 2 weeks holiday package walking into a bank and asking to open an account with Internet banking.

Actually, he OP didn't talk at all about being here for two weeks on holiday. And, it was you and other subsequent posters, in responding, who repeatedly said, can't get Internet banking in Thailand without a work permit. It was those comments I was responding to, not the OP... The WP issue indeed is sometimes/often requested for Internet banking access in Thailand. But you give misleading information to tell people that it is ALWAYS required...when in fact, it is not. My own experience and that of others here, if you bother to read the many banking threads, proves that.

I opened my first passbook savings account at a small Siam Commercial Bank in Pattaya on soi Buakao more than 3 years ago. I only had a multiple entry non-imm B visa at the time and I had been here less than a month living in a hotel. I also applied for and got full use of the on line internet services at that time. I see interest accrue every month on that account and get the interest payment I think at 6 month intervals,,,,,very small but what the hey,,,

I now have 3 accounts with SCB and manage all my funds with on line access and pay bills on line and such.

So every branch of every bank is not the same. But I guess I just look trustworthy as it was the first bank I walked in to that gave me an account.

One of the things about banking in Thailand that has been made very clear, through the experience of many TV posters here, is that the policies applied by Thai banks -- both at different branches of the same bank, and from one bank to another -- are HIGHLY variable...

There are countless reports here of people in varying circumstances getting a NO answer at one branch of a Thai bank, and then going to another branch of the same bank with exactly the same request/particulars and getting a YES. Read TV postings on banking and you will be buried with those kinds of experiences.

So, for someone in your situation, if you really want to pursue it, the first step would be to try other various branches of the same bank (presumably to open a new account with Internet banking, not trying to add it to an existing account), and if that fails, you could consider opening a new account with a different Thai bank such as Kasikorn.

I had to go thru that same experience myself when first setting up my Thai bank accounts. I got turned down at branches of both banks I currently deal with. But I did my research, checked around, went to other branches, did some persuading and finally had success. So both of my Thai bank accounts have had Internet banking since the beginning. And I never used a work permit, just a business visa, in opening them.

My attempt to open an internet account was done at the Bangkok Bank at Siam Paragon. Now they were quite okay with it and processed my application however my passbooks required updating as they still had my old passport number. This required visits to Silom Road and Suriwong Road branches. No problem at Silom where my passbooks were updated but at Suriwong they updated my passbook but informed me after phoning HQ that I would not get internet banking without having a work permit. Back to Paragon branch where the lady there told me to return to Silom where they deal with internet banking applications. The lady I dealt with at Silom spent about 2 hours phoning around and then telling me that the reason Paragon had sent me to the Silom Road HQ was that they had already been informed by internet banking HQ that without a work permit I could not have internet banking. Now as I have pointed out I am not a tourist but have lived here permanently for some years and own my own condo. The lady I dealt with at Silom told me that one of the fields on your account shows your status, I gather No 11 means you have a work permit and any other number in that box will result in you being turned down for internet banking. So in my case it wasn’t a case of a branch being difficult but the rejection coming from their HQ. However I appreciate your advice about opening a new account and not trying to add it to an existing account. I think however my next step will be Kasikorn bank but I am very appreciative of the replies to the points I have raised.

Actually, he OP didn't talk at all about being here for two weeks on holiday. And, it was you and other subsequent posters, in responding, who repeatedly said, can't get Internet banking in Thailand without a work permit. It was those comments I was responding to, not the OP... The WP issue indeed is sometimes/often requested for Internet banking access in Thailand. But you give misleading information to tell people that it is ALWAYS required...when in fact, it is not. My own experience and that of others here, if you bother to read the many banking threads, proves that.

SCB (as fast expanding) and Kashikorn (as revamped) banks have taken on many new staff or have not retrained existing staff to cope with the advent of the Internet. That may explain why there are few success stories from their branches - the chances were higher that an inexperienced staff would grant what is against the rules.

It proves that those who managed to open Internet banking account succeeded through bank staff's mistakes.

That translates to this kind of "advice": you with visa on arrival, roam around, visit as many brances as you can, somewhere, somebank, someday, someone of staff, will make mistake and open an account for you.

Techically,

is like anyone off the street, including accidental tourist, all the same to the bank.

I said "not possible with tourist visa only".

And if your "business visa" comes with 10 million baht invested in Thai stock market, 2 accounts with Internet banking are peanuts you got in return and even that did not come trouble-free.

And if your "business visa" comes with 10 million baht invested in Thai stock market, 2 accounts with Internet banking are peanuts you got in return and even that did not come trouble-free.

Think.... sorry...but you seem to have some misunderstanding about business visas...which are technically known as Non Immigrant B visas... Obtaining them has nothing to do with having large amounts invested in the Thai stock market or anywhere else, for that matter. Many farang stay in Thailand on "B" visas, provided you obtain the proper sponsorship documents from some source, because they provide one-year stays (with required visa runs or trips outside Thailand every 90 days).

Think.... sorry...but you seem to have some misunderstanding about business visas...which are technically known as Non Immigrant B visas... Obtaining them has nothing to do with having large amounts invested in the Thai stock market or anywhere else, for that matter. Many farang stay in Thailand on "B" visas, provided you obtain the proper sponsorship documents from some source, because they provide one-year stays (with required visa runs or trips outside Thailand every 90 days).

Back to Internet Banking.........I have internet banking with BKK bank in BKK for the last 10 years or so. When I opened the account I had a work permit so no problem. I retired now in Uttardit two years ago, opened an account with BKK bank in Uttaradit and applied for internet banking so both accounts would be connected and money could be transferred easily from one to another. After three months had a phonecall from BKK bank HQ telling me no w/p no internet banking. So I can tell you for sure only a w/p gets access to the internte banking. After this I kept my mouth shut before they would withdraw my old facility.

Short story NO W/P no Internet Banking :o

Dear everybody,

Thanks for a lot of information.

I understand that:

- Having WP maybe essential

- Worth trying to ask several banks and their branches

I will tell my friend about it.

Thank you again everybody.

Have a nice day, nice stay in Thailand and nice time at ThaiVisa.

Getting online banking access is certainly EASIER in Thailand for someone who has a WP... In that case, no questions asked...

But for those without a WP, it still can be done, but you may have to shop around at different Thai banks...and even different branches among the same bank.

To give one illustrative example from a year ago, I was turned down when I went to the SCB branch near my home... They said no work permit, no account. I was really frustrated and unhappy. So I went home, checked more, and finally called the SCB Call Centre, and they said SCB bank policy was only to require a long-term visa (1-year), but not work permit. So they suggested I go to a farang area branch like Paragon or Siam Square. Went there, and got told no again by the counter staff at the different branch there... Asked to talk to the manager, explained what the Call Centre had advised. He went away....talked to various folks, came back and finally said OK... and just asked to see a copy of my apartment lease (which I didn't have with me that day, and never did end up giving to them). But they opened the account with Internet banking access that day anyway. And gave me a free wall clock as well, for opening a new account.

That was when I was new to living here, and it made me CRAZY... But now... with a bit more experience under my belt, I come to realize that that experience was pretty typical for farangs dealing with Thai banks. It wasn't just a bad day/bad luck for me... That's the way they operate in general. So you just have to understand that going in, and be persistent, and be prepared to put up with some NOs, maybe many NOs, before you finally get a YES.

I opened an Internet account at the Kasikorn Prakonchai Branch last month with £250 uk cash in hand, on a tourist visa in my passport??? no questions asked..got the sms thru instantly, and the clerk escorted me outside to the atm so i could put my own private pin number in...and no he didn`t see it...sound :o