Pattaya Sleeze: What Did I Miss? Why Don't I Like It?

OxfordWill

Pattaya tourism is down 30% this year. Combine that with bad exchange rates, higher plane fares and costs back home and tourism is down. Not to mention it is the low season. Wish I was there, but very busy right now.

Pattaya is still a pretty decent town. I love a town I can walk around in, easily hop on Baht bus pickups, easily hop on motorcycle taxis etc. Lots more to do in Thailand, but for a few weeks of easy going, Pattaya is pretty tough to beat in my opinion.

Pattaya tourism is down 30% this year. Combine that with bad exchange rates, higher plane fares and costs back home and tourism is down. Not to mention it is the low season. Wish I was there, but very busy right now.

Pattaya is still a pretty decent town. I love a town I can walk around in, easily hop on Baht bus pickups, easily hop on motorcycle taxis etc. Lots more to do in Thailand, but for a few weeks of easy going, Pattaya is pretty tough to beat in my opinion.

Bad exchange rates! That's the understatement of the year!

The pound dropped 2 bht in the week I've been here. The way it's going, we'll be back to pre '97 rates again, but with bht costs twice what they were then. Given I work for the British NHS, and my present income is worth LESS than what I earned back in '97 the future is looking bleak for me in Fun Town.

Just as I was about to retire and move here, too. Bummer.

What did the OP miss in Patters? From what I have been reading:

A murder

A suicide

A robbery

A knife fight

Being accosted by a drunken farang

Being felt up by a hungry Ladyboy

...and much more....oh so much fun Patters can be.... :o

Knife fights are great to watch. Better than TV! Haven't seen anyone killed yet, though.

you did not go to the 'Windmill' off Walking street. Some lovely ladies in there - especially that 20 year old!!! And negotiable in low season :o

soi 6 / 1 plenty of Ladyboys down that strip :D

Oops! Better be careful here LOL

:D Is the low season,the Baht rise,the demonstrations in Bkk & Phuket , making Pattaya less desirable to retire to ????

:o

"Low" season comes and goes every year (with the same spouting by the doom & gloom merchants!), the baht has been a very strong currency for a few years now - it is other currencies that are weakening (just look at the state of the economies in the UK and US!), demonstrations in Bkk and Phuket have no impact on daily Pattaya life.

Remember - you are looking to become a retiree here - big difference and approach to life here than being a tourist!

No worries John! :D

Actually I think my rant was kinda refreshing. Im not talking about retirement, Im not talking about tourism strength, Im not talking about the currency, I'm not talking about apartment prices, Im not talking about quality of visitors. Im simply saying, for two young guys from Bangkok, Pattaya was NO FUN, despite having a FUN reputation. If it is perenniel then the reputation should be adjusted to "FUN (so long as you visit between X and Y)". Hope this turns up in SERPS under "is pattaya really that fun".

I'm not saying its boring. Im saying it doesnt DESERVE its reputation as FUN CENTRAL.

Gottit? :o

p.s. In the hope of being proved wrong, I titled this thread "what did I miss". Thank you to the 0.004% of you who didnt take this thread personally and actually suggested a couple of places to visit.

Edited by OxfordWill

Actually I think my rant was kinda refreshing. Im not talking about retirement, Im not talking about tourism strength, Im not talking about the currency, I'm not talking about apartment prices, Im not talking about quality of visitors. Im simply saying, for two young guys from Bangkok, Pattaya was NO FUN, despite having a FUN reputation. If it is perenniel then the reputation should be adjusted to "FUN (so long as you visit between X and Y)". Hope this turns up in SERPS under "is pattaya really that fun".

I'm not saying its boring. Im saying it doesnt DESERVE its reputation as FUN CENTRAL.

Gottit? :o

p.s. In the hope of being proved wrong, I titled this thread "what did I miss". Thank you to the 0.004% of you who didnt take this thread personally and actually suggested a couple of places to visit.

I don't think anyone could just turn up in Pattaya and expect to have "fun" without a bit of serious looking around. Also depends on what you term fun. However, I guarantee that the opportunity existed for you to have "fun", you just didn't look hard enough. The first time I went to Bangkok, I didn't have fun either, but the second time I went, I did.

As for suggestions, without more of an idea of what you classify as "fun", I'd be loathe to make any.

you obviously didnt go down soi 6 in the afternoon its always entertaining :o

Only if you're a "sexy man" who enjoys gutter whores.

Have we met before? :D

To answer the OP go to www.pattayatalk.com/forums and read the newbie info.... you should always research any trip especially if your "fun" is important to you and rare....

Edited by capdagde