Thailand Tourism Decline To Exacerbate

duchovny

Phuketwan

Phuket Gets Set For Disaster This High Season...

By Alan Morison and Chutima Sidasathian

Saturday September 20, 2008

He cited one well-known resort at Surin that has just two occupants in its 118 rooms

at present...

http://phuketwan.com/article/tourism/phuke...is-high-season/

..and:

"Comparison between 2007 and 2008 reveals a 28 percent drop in flights for the month of August.

That downturn is continuing, with a drop of 22 percent in the number of flights in September so far, up to September 15. "

http://phuketwan.com/article/tourism/phuke...p-flights-drop/

Thanks to PAD/Sondhi.

They're killing the Goose with the Golden Egg...

LaoPo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuketwan

Phuket Gets Set For Disaster This High Season...

By Alan Morison and Chutima Sidasathian

Saturday September 20, 2008

He cited one well-known resort at Surin that has just two occupants in its 118 rooms

at present...

http://phuketwan.com/article/tourism/phuke...is-high-season/

You know , that is amazing to read because in Phnom Penh the opposite is happening , you see more tourist/expats almost everywhere you go and this time of year that is not normally the scenario . Accomodation in the low to mid range is also filling up quite rapidly , there are also more enquiries on the tourism site , i am aware of this because i do searches for intended visitors/new residents . Cambodia does not offer many things that Thailand is renowned for , but what it does give seems to be becoming what more people realise they actualy want as apposed to what they thought they needed

Cambodia is well worth seeing as is Vietnam, and Laos, but the only thing that they offer that Thailand doesn't is a trip to the past and more adventure. They are like Thailand was 50 years ago, but more expensive and more dangerous.

If you want easy, fun and safe, Thailand will be your favorite. If you want to see what it was like to live in old South East Asia, it might take another 10 years for old Indochine to modernize.

I like visiting once in a while, but I much prefer to live in Thailand.

Cambodia is well worth seeing as is Vietnam, and Laos, but the only thing that they offer that Thailand doesn't is a trip to the past and more adventure. They are like Thailand was 50 years ago, but more expensive and more dangerous.

If you want easy, fun and safe, Thailand will be your favorite. If you want to see what it was like to live in old South East Asia, it might take another 10 years for old Indochine to modernize.

I like visiting once in a while, but I much prefer to live in Thailand.

A very ill-informed statement.

More like 5 years ago, cheaper and safer.

I've lived in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in the last 5 years and Cambodia is now far friendlier and safer than Thailand, not to mention cheaper.

Its is good that Phuket is suffering and perharps it should get worst before it improves. The taxis there are simply horrendous and there is no proper way of getting around the island except with rude taxi drivers or tuk-tuk drivers. Most of the locals there are so so rude and obnoxious and the service at most of the hotels are getting worsts. prices of anything are the most expensive when compared to anywhere else in Thailand and also the Hotel rates are a bit too overpriced.

Phuket locals and foreign entrepreneurs need to learn a lesson.

Its is good that Phuket is suffering and perharps it should get worst before it improves. The taxis there are simply horrendous and there is no proper way of getting around the island except with rude taxi drivers or tuk-tuk drivers. Most of the locals there are so so rude and obnoxious and the service at most of the hotels are getting worsts. prices of anything are the most expensive when compared to anywhere else in Thailand and also the Hotel rates are a bit too overpriced.

Phuket locals and foreign entrepreneurs need to learn a lesson.

Best cure for that kind of treatment is a boycot , which looks a little like that is happening by what i read here on VT , tourism down , hotels almost empty etc . You cannot honestly blame that on the problems in progress in BKK can you ?

I have noticed most of these articles in newspapers and elsewhere fail to mention something:

1) Most of the world is experiencing a decline in international tourism , and none of them have PAD protests

I think someone in the tourism ministry said "Oh lets say we will have a x% rise in tourists this year" and now that the prediction is not going to be accomplished everyone is finding scapegoats. But I think the real reason has nothing to do with PAD or even the economic hiccup. I just think Vietnam and Cambodia are trying harder than Thailand to get tourists and when they get them , the tourists get a better experiance.

But obviously I am in Thailand and not Cambodia or Vietnam so you can see which country I prefer.

rambling yes but I am trying to listen to a baseball game while I type this :o

I doubt tourism numbers will fall significantly, if at all.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that they will increase.

Thai tourist authority itself estimates numbers down more than 50% and room occupancy down 30%.

By the way, uk gov recently issued warning, this is kiss of death for most agent booked travelling,

Yep.

Foreign tourist arrivals now down 70%. :o

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=6210

Besides the problems being experienced in LOS you have to take into consideration the loss from the economic problems originating in the US. Just the fact that a lot of people are not to sure how long their job will last and what the future will bring keeps them close to home so they don't have to spend big bucks for a holiday.

So between Thailands unrest, cost of air travel and a screwed up economy in most of the world, tourism is probly not the best business to be in right now.