Requirement For Onward Or Return Ticket

wontok

I've just booked a one way from Singapore to Bangkok with Air Asia. I've done this before without a visa for short stays, and always had a return ticket (but never had to show it). This time I am on a multientry non-immigrant visa which I understand does not require me to have any return or onward tickets on arrival in Thailand. Now I see that Air Asia conditions say that "all [international] passengers shall possess a return or onward journey ticket". This is clearly nonsense, since roughly half of their passengers can be expected to be going home without any further travel plans. I presume they would not enforce such a requirement on these people, but can anyone reassure me that I'll be allowed to board in Singapore?. (I'm an Australian, and will have arrived in Singapore from Darwin on another carrier).

Thanks

W

I've just booked a one way from Singapore to Bangkok with Air Asia. I've done this before without a visa for short stays, and always had a return ticket (but never had to show it). This time I am on a multientry non-immigrant visa which I understand does not require me to have any return or onward tickets on arrival in Thailand. Now I see that Air Asia conditions say that "all [international] passengers shall possess a return or onward journey ticket". This is clearly nonsense, since roughly half of their passengers can be expected to be going home without any further travel plans. I presume they would not enforce such a requirement on these people, but can anyone reassure me that I'll be allowed to board in Singapore?. (I'm an Australian, and will have arrived in Singapore from Darwin on another carrier).

Thanks

W

We would say that you are correct in that if you have avisa then a return ticket is not compulsory, and that when you check in the Air Asia staff should check for a visa and then they will check you in, so do not worry. Many of us that live here often travel to Singapore and we come back also on a one way ticket, being the return half of the outbound, and have never had a problem. Hope that sets your mind at rest

I have never understood whether the Onward or Return ticket should be dated to depart within the "allowed time in Thailand"?

I have always flown into BKK with a return ticket for about three months, used the 30 days transit allowance, then booked further flights from Bangkok, ensuring that I never exceed the 30 day (29 night) limit.

For example I might stay 1 month in Thailand, 1 month in Cambodia, then my final month in Thailand. Or I might do two shorter trips.

Have I just been lucky, I have never been asked for my ticket.

When I arrive, should I already possess an exit ticket dated within 30 days of arrival??

This time I am on a multientry non-immigrant visa....
We would say that you are correct in that if you have avisa then a return ticket is not compulsory, and that when you check in the Air Asia staff should check for a visa and then they will check you in....

If you have a multi-entry non-b, you don't need an onward ticket.

It saves the airlines a potential cost of not having to pay for your return flight if you were not allowed in the country. Cost saving measure.