Galaga In Pattaya?

SteveMorrissey

• 3 years later...

Looking back at this old post - it's funny that 400 people have now viewed it - must be a lot of people who want to play Galaga in Pattaya, but there doesn't seem to be a machine anywhere. :-)

It's unfortunately just not the same playing on a PC with an emulator...

I viewed it 'cos I had no idea what Galaga is, I thought you'd spelt galanga wrong.

Maybe others did the same.

I now know it's a game but still have no idea what it is.

Looking back at this old post - it's funny that 400 people have now viewed it - must be a lot of people who want to play Galaga in Pattaya, but there doesn't seem to be a machine anywhere. :-)

I viewed it 'cos I had no idea what Galaga is, I thought you'd spelt galanga wrong.

Yea Galangal i thought it was a recipe to!!

ditto.

You may have inadvertantly hit upon a decent business idea. It usually takes a few years after college or in the work force to be able to retire or vacation a lot, barring rich parent's anyway. So there are a lot of middle aged people such as myself (54 years old) that go to Thailand a lot. I grew up with real hardware video games and pin ball machines in college. Might be worthwhile to get a dozen or so of those old machines and put them in a place over there. Mix and match with a pool hall,or something like that. I don't think a pure arcade with just the machines would make enough money. I have seen things on TV and on the internet of people and companies that restore or re-sell the classic pinball machines. I can foresee some licensing and copyright issues, so not sure how economically viable such an enterprise might be. But might be worth looking into. I can see the Foreign Tourist taking his Thai friend and showing them what was his favorite.

I recall the following favorite Pin ball machines that I could beat and in college, I would leave with more game credits than I started with: Mata Hari, Alien (double width machine). With some experience, one learned there were some machines that by their design, you just could not keep the ball in paly so I avoided those. Of course the classic video games, Centipede, Millipede, Asteroids, Galaga and its predecessor, Space Defender, Lunar Lander (never did get good at that one. So much for my engineering degree!). Tank war, etc. None of these have the glitz and glamour of the later models of video games. But more flash is not necessarily better.

You may have inadvertantly hit upon a decent business idea. It usually takes a few years after college or in the work force to be able to retire or vacation a lot, barring rich parent's anyway. So there are a lot of middle aged people such as myself (54 years old) that go to Thailand a lot. I grew up with real hardware video games and pin ball machines in college. Might be worthwhile to get a dozen or so of those old machines and put them in a place over there. Mix and match with a pool hall,or something like that. I don't think a pure arcade with just the machines would make enough money. I have seen things on TV and on the internet of people and companies that restore or re-sell the classic pinball machines. I can foresee some licensing and copyright issues, so not sure how economically viable such an enterprise might be. But might be worth looking into. I can see the Foreign Tourist taking his Thai friend and showing them what was his favorite.

I recall the following favorite Pin ball machines that I could beat and in college, I would leave with more game credits than I started with: Mata Hari, Alien (double width machine). With some experience, one learned there were some machines that by their design, you just could not keep the ball in paly so I avoided those. Of course the classic video games, Centipede, Millipede, Asteroids, Galaga and its predecessor, Space Defender, Lunar Lander (never did get good at that one. So much for my engineering degree!). Tank war, etc. None of these have the glitz and glamour of the later models of video games. But more flash is not necessarily better.

GK, I wish it was that simple.

I have 1970's El Toro and an Adams Family pinball machine. I also have a sit down Space Invaders but that has taken 10 years just to get these 3. Really hard to find, and expensive.

If anyone has any pinball machines or cabinet games, working or not, I'm buying.