Is This Normal For Thailand?

Nhscotsman

Hi,

My wife and I went to the local Honda dealer this afternoon to look at a new Honda City and they have exactly what I want. But when I questioned the salesman about discount or any extras, they said they weren't giving any discounts at all and they weren't even giving the usual free first year insurance and then to top it off, they demanding at least 40% minimum down payment for any sales to a foreigner. I was pretty much shocked by the salemans attitude of "We don't have to discount anything because the car is new." I figured he was just a flunky so I asked for the manager figuring I might get a better deal from the manager, but when I spoke to her, her attitude is exactly the same. They are nice about it, but they made it quite clear. If I wanted to buy this car, then I am going to pay full price with zero extras. They aren't even offering the usual free insurance like everyone gives.

Are they just an odd ball dealer and I should go to another dealership or is it true, if you want a new 2009 I'm going to have to pay the extra to get it. I'm still in shock over the attitude of these salespeople. I have bought many cars when I was in the United States but I have never gone to a dealership and pretty much been told "Pay full price or there's the door.......GOODBYE!"

Nhscotsman

I did get a quote on a 2008 Yaris 2 weeks ago and they did offer me the 20,000 discount and the free insurance but the Honda was ZERO, ZERO, ZERO!!!!!! Shame too because I REALLY like the new Honda City too.

Nhscotsman

bought a yaris this week no discount or extras ,did get full insurance and a tank of petrol though

New car prices in Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia are fixed, no discounts unlike USA. I bought cars in all of these countries and sometimes received full tank of petrol, holiday vouchers or similar, no discounts. Actually, I used to have a drink or two with Thai new car dealers and they often joked and dismayed about farangs who ask for discounts.

Edited by CroBiker

Try another dealer. I was looking for a Civic a few months ago and got a similar attitude from some dealers, while others at least made an offer of free spoilers (which I didn't want) and some other crap that I can't remember. I think Ford and Mazda are more likely to give you free stuff.

Nhscotsman your obviously fairly new here and at the moment can't get your head around the fact your trying to do deals in a restricted market with dealers that are factory owned, Toyota from your last post 9/9/08 and now Honda(not sure if all factory owned but if not would not step out of line and risk loosing francise, doubt any laws to protect them here)and they don't give discounts not what your used to anyway. There factories will be producing just the right amount of cars for their market share no more, not like over capacity in US. At least your being treated equaly with Thai's being told "pay the fullprice or there's the door ..GOODBYE!" What you have to do is clear your thinking of what happens in the US, your in Thailand now so none of that applies you either pay the full price or within a couple of percent with/without some freebies on the limited range of new cars available or don't buy.

i think you will find its a need to do basis and as thats a new model they dont need to do it.,,but yes typical for thailand charge full reail and kick you hard between the legs when you want to sell,. :o

Do not understand second part where else would you pay 2900USD/1600GBP or whatever for a 20/25 year old car i think the opposite is true ..You DON'T get kicked hard between the legs in Thailand. :D

There's your typical Honda "service" ! Nhscotsman i've already commented in your last topic.. Thing is i used to drive Civic in Malaysia & so wanted to buy one in Bkk as well., but the attitudes of local Honda (all of the Bkk dealers!) made me sure not to let them have a baht of my hard earned cash ! Do have a closer look @ the new Vios thou (i've noticed they even reduced prices a bit:) ) ..

And beware all>> City top spec (69+,000) is a very Different car from their entry level spec (5++,000)! Probably New Lancer will turn out Cheaper & more cheerful car if you compare & shop around!

Hi,

My wife and I went to the local Honda dealer this afternoon to look at a new Honda City and they have exactly what I want. But when I questioned the salesman about discount or any extras, they said they weren't giving any discounts at all and they weren't even giving the usual free first year insurance and then to top it off, they demanding at least 40% minimum down payment for any sales to a foreigner. I was pretty much shocked by the salemans attitude of "We don't have to discount anything because the car is new." I figured he was just a flunky so I asked for the manager figuring I might get a better deal from the manager, but when I spoke to her, her attitude is exactly the same. They are nice about it, but they made it quite clear. If I wanted to buy this car, then I am going to pay full price with zero extras. They aren't even offering the usual free insurance like everyone gives.

Are they just an odd ball dealer and I should go to another dealership or is it true, if you want a new 2009 I'm going to have to pay the extra to get it. I'm still in shock over the attitude of these salespeople. I have bought many cars when I was in the United States but I have never gone to a dealership and pretty much been told "Pay full price or there's the door.......GOODBYE!"

Nhscotsman

Have a word with the forum sponsor!!

it's normally like that for JUST RELEASED NEW MODELS. if you can wait a couple of months/years then you'll see the promotions of all dealers (that's if the car doesn't sell well). the attitude of the sales people are such which means demand for this car is high and they can afford to be selective of customers.

anyway, you can try to shop around and you might get a better salesperson at another dealer. when i wanted a deal on a friend's City 4 years back or the Toyota Sport Cruiser i got before, each dealer offered different levels of discounts and freebies and even help selling the old car.

it's normally like that for JUST RELEASED NEW MODELS. if you can wait a couple of months/years then you'll see the promotions of all dealers (that's if the car doesn't sell well). the attitude of the sales people are such which means demand for this car is high and they can afford to be selective of customers.

anyway, you can try to shop around and you might get a better salesperson at another dealer. when i wanted a deal on a friend's City 4 years back or the Toyota Sport Cruiser i got before, each dealer offered different levels of discounts and freebies and even help selling the old car.

Very true jakbkk....

Here is the example: at the end of 2007 Phuket Benz introduced latest C Class. They immediatelly dropped prices for previous C Class from 2,55 mil down to 2,2 million. These are brand new cars I'm talking about.

There is no such thing as no discount.

Either get them to put a package together or buy elsewhere.

If they give a discount, they loosing from their profit. Honda factory don't give any doscount to the dealers. It's the dealers cut. They don't care because they can sale anyway to someone else. For a new vios for example you have th wait until 3 month sometimes. In the begin of this year i bought one with a lot of freebees, This month i ordered anotherone and they give no freebes at all and i waiting over a month already. Down payment is now minimum 20%, in January was only 10%. Foreigners i thinkg is 40%, because no guarantee person needed. But i think a higher downpayment is better, because this keeps the cheap charlies away who make only a downpayment, use the car 3 monhts and not pay anymore. I'm not sure with honda, but i think it's the same. On a new car is not much profit anyway, so why they should give their profit away? They no need to make any discount, because they can sale the same car next day to someone for the full price. BTW we should not forget, we are foreigners. In the UK or USA, i don't think a foreigner can get a car loan easly, specially if he have no job.

IMHO after lots of inquiries it is more of a Honda policy, nothin to do with how new the model is !>> they feel they sell enough cars in bangkok to not give a toss about customers! > Discounts/incentives in Thailand are very limited>> usually 20,000-50,000 baht worth of insurance/extras ! & offered by all Except Bkk Honda !! Try honda dealers in the sticks where they're bored without customers & u'll feel the difference ! .. supply vs. demand, that simple really

PS: even with the newest Toyota models you may expect at least a free insurance thrown in :o & a lot more professional aftersales service !

i think you will find its a need to do basis and as thats a new model they dont need to do it.,,but yes typical for thailand charge full reail and kick you hard between the legs when you want to sell,. :D

Do not understand second part where else would you pay 2900USD/1600GBP or whatever for a 20/25 year old car i think the opposite is true ..You DON'T get kicked hard between the legs in Thailand. :D

I never thought of that, i suppose if you keep your cars that long them it may be ok, but i usually get rid after 2 or 3 years, then try cashing one up, ive even been told no thanks by some dealers without even asking what i want for a price ! :o ,.but yes i will agree these are not "normal car dealers " as we know them, we are dealing with order takers with no discretion,.

Nhscotsman your obviously fairly new here and at the moment can't get your head around the fact your trying to do deals in a restricted market with dealers that are factory owned, Toyota from your last post 9/9/08 and now Honda(not sure if all factory owned but if not would not step out of line and risk loosing francise, doubt any laws to protect them here)and they don't give discounts not what your used to anyway. There factories will be producing just the right amount of cars for their market share no more, not like over capacity in US. At least your being treated equaly with Thai's being told "pay the fullprice or there's the door ..GOODBYE!" What you have to do is clear your thinking of what happens in the US, your in Thailand now so none of that applies you either pay the full price or within a couple of percent with/without some freebies on the limited range of new cars available or don't buy.
" There factories will be producing just the right amount of cars for their market share no more " . now this is closer to the truth,. the thais in my opinion under produce as they have no interest it seems in selling more, for instance i have ordered wheel arches, back lights etc, all from main dealers and in 2 cases i had to wait till they were made, one dealer told me they do batches of 100 when they have the orders in, they take no chances in my opinion .yes yes i know this isnt the US or the UK but do thais not break back lights and knock a wheel arch off occasionally ?,This sort of poor business is all the thais know so thats it, .we must learn to pay full retail i assume,if you look at it from a thai perspective we probably drive them mad as the thais just walk in and say " where do i sign ",. they probably view us as a weird lot like them aliens that came to earth in the smash potato ad ! :o ,,

i think you will find its a need to do basis and as thats a new model they dont need to do it.,,but yes typical for thailand charge full reail and kick you hard between the legs when you want to sell,. :D

I never thought of that, i suppose if you keep your cars that long them it may be ok, but i usually get rid after 2 or 3 years, then try cashing one up, ive even been told no thanks by some dealers without even asking what i want for a price ! :o ,.but yes i will agree these are not "normal car dealers " as we know them, we are dealing with order takers with no discretion,.

The problem you might have had is that if you have a model everybody buys and is very "common" and theres a glut of them in the market those dealers may already have a number in stock so would say no thanks without asking you how much.I think they were being polite i personally would have at least asked you how much just in case i could "nick it!".

The popularity of the model in the area you want to buy it is important as I'll explain.

Mid 2007 we're after a new truck. Up in the boonies it is all Isuzu, literally 90% where we are. In Pattaya, it is mainly Toyota, perhaps 70% but with some Mazdas and Mitsubishis etc. thrown in which have 0% presence here (Buriram).

So go buy an Isuzu in Pattaya or Toyota in Buriram and you get a better deal than vice versa.

Exceptions do occur as in our case (family has 2 already) and matched Pattaya on the Isuzu (then beat it) but I got a much better deal on the Toyota in Buriram than I could ever get in Pattaya.

If you are talking about the new City or new Jazz everyone is in the same predicament.

Demand is so high dealers don't have to give discounts because they are already back ordered by a few months.

Also the value of the car isn't as high as a CRV, Accord or Civic. These models dealers can give you some discount.

My dad just bought a CRV and yes the price is fixed no matter which dealer you go to. But was able to get the spoiler, body kit as a free accessory and oh a couple of bags. Nothing else, no t-shirt or anything. Even the bluetooth was paid for separately. Not even any free future service or oil changes. No insurance either. They would give you free one year AXA if you used their finance company but we decided against it because we got better rates at our own bank. We got absolutly no gas in our tank while we drove out. Our car almost died on the way out of the dealer luckily there was a station near the dealership. The car started sputtering at the gas station.

Same with our Isuzu, no gas. However they did deliver our car to us.

It depends on the dealer. Sometimes if you look around you might find a good dealer that is willing to offer you somethings. But for a City or Jazz I don't think you will get much. Maybe free window tinting at best and registration. Different dealers have different quotas especially the differences between paying cash and financing at the dealer. Sometimes if you finance at the dealer they can give a better discount but their rates are higher which means you pay for your freebies.

Hi,

Nhscotsman

So go back to the USA and buy your car cheaper !

You have a good reason for living in Thailand. It's not enough ? Getting the best from Thailand, and also the best from your own country... Maybe that's too much !

"...they can add in goodies etc.etc....be creative....have fun! unquote. Exactly. Go in just to check the current situation without any intention of buying for a few months. Attempt to look like a serious buyer, smile a lot, re check what you had already looked at, hum and ha, talk in whispers to your companion, after 15- 30 minutes ask for their best deal. If not up to your expectations, vote with your feet, all the time smiling as you mention on leaving you are going to check the competition. Like Kedawi said...have fun. Relax...Time is on your side. Oh yes, bought a Honda City years ago and almost did not make it to the petrol station just down the road. Honda gave me a 5 liter voucher.

:o

just bought a new yarris E limited

10,000 discount for cash

front fogs / car cover

1 year tax and insurance

total cost 623,000

tried for a honda jazz 671,000 no freebies and sales people had a serious attitude

REASON....... new Yaris update coming out at the end of this year that's why they discounted it a bit.

I bought a Ford Ranger Wildtrak last week, list price is 693k but I got a nice discount and paid only 644k and also got 1yrs free 1st Insurance and lots of extra's too. Mitsubishi offered 10k, Toyota 55k discount plus free insurance but that wasn't on the new Smart-Cab model, no discount on that! And when I enquired about the new Honda City and Honda Civic they offered no discount either. But after driving the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max, Toyota Vigo and Nissan there was only going to be one winner regardless of the discount, the Ford was a much better all-round package and much nicer to drive, so with the discount it was a no-brainer. It's also nice to drive something different than everything else on the roads and my Thai friends are impressed with it too, like many here they have been sucked in by the huge marketing campaigns of Toyota, Isuzu etc and would only ever buy a Vigo or D-Max...until now!