Is This Normal For Thailand?

Nhscotsman

Which Ford dealer did you get your truck? Sounds like you did well on your deal. Nice looking truck too!

I have called a few Honda dealers this week and have found a few better deals than what I had initially had gotten. I am planning on visiting a few dealers on Sunday and hopefully I will be able to finalize a deal by Sunday and get the new Honda soon there after. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I do hope to make this a easy process and (fingers crossed)also hope and pray that I will be soon driving a new Honda City in a week or two.

Nhscotsman

I bought a Ford Ranger Wildtrak last week, list price is 693k but I got a nice discount and paid only 644k and also got 1yrs free 1st Insurance and lots of extra's too. Mitsubishi offered 10k, Toyota 55k discount plus free insurance but that wasn't on the new Smart-Cab model, no discount on that! And when I enquired about the new Honda City and Honda Civic they offered no discount either. But after driving the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max, Toyota Vigo and Nissan there was only going to be one winner regardless of the discount, the Ford was a much better all-round package and much nicer to drive, so with the discount it was a no-brainer. It's also nice to drive something different than everything else on the roads and my Thai friends are impressed with it too, like many here they have been sucked in by the huge marketing campaigns of Toyota, Isuzu etc and would only ever buy a Vigo or D-Max...until now!

Which Ford dealer did you get your truck? Sounds like you did well on your deal. Nice looking truck too!

I have called a few Honda dealers this week and have found a few better deals than what I had initially had gotten. I am planning on visiting a few dealers on Sunday and hopefully I will be able to finalize a deal by Sunday and get the new Honda soon there after. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I do hope to make this a easy process and (fingers crossed)also hope and pray that I will be soon driving a new Honda City in a week or two.

Nhscotsman

I bought a Ford Ranger Wildtrak last week, list price is 693k but I got a nice discount and paid only 644k and also got 1yrs free 1st Insurance and lots of extra's too. Mitsubishi offered 10k, Toyota 55k discount plus free insurance but that wasn't on the new Smart-Cab model, no discount on that! And when I enquired about the new Honda City and Honda Civic they offered no discount either. But after driving the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max, Toyota Vigo and Nissan there was only going to be one winner regardless of the discount, the Ford was a much better all-round package and much nicer to drive, so with the discount it was a no-brainer. It's also nice to drive something different than everything else on the roads and my Thai friends are impressed with it too, like many here they have been sucked in by the huge marketing campaigns of Toyota, Isuzu etc and would only ever buy a Vigo or D-Max...until now!

I bought it in Chiang Rai at the local Ford Dealer here, I love it, looks much nicer than anything else I've seen. Good luck with the Honda City hunt, I was thinking of buying one of those instead of the Ranger but a lot of the roads up here are pretty poor to say the least so went for the Pick-Up.

• 3 months later...

I assume that this post comes a bit late.

However, I've experienced a similar case with Honda Pattaya while checking up the new Civic last week and decided to go to Honda Chonburi.

The sales girl was very friendly and gave me all those stuff I intended to buy for free (worth 40K) but I had to add in another 3,000 on top of my insurance.

What the heck I saved over all 37K, so I went for the Civic there.

In addition she managed to cash out my old Cefiro, year 2000, for 250K while other dealers were offering only 230K max.

I'm looking to buy a new accord and I heard from a friend, that her friend ended up buying in BKK and not Phuket and saved 50K baht. I'll believe it when I try the same thing, but I'm sure BKK has more flexibilityand motivation than the one pony show in Phuket.

Here's a link to Honda Thailand web site. http://www.honda.co.th/en/index.html

You can check their standard rates from there.

Good Luck

Edited by braverrouge

I know I am late but it is just bad business to sell something cheaper when you can sell just the same amount for a higher price... Lose one foreigner, gain a Thai person... Why discount?

Get a Thai to walk in and ask for discounts, they might give some... But ask for extras and you should get alot...

The Honda City is advertised on billboards at 524,000 baht. Yes, everybody likes to barter a better deal for themselves, but, this is usually the starting price and any extras cost more. Of course it is always prudent to shop around and see if a better deal or alternative can be found.

Personally I think it is a fantastic deal for a cracking little car and far better value than the much smaller Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris. I am considering buying one myself in the coming months as either a second car or trade in the Hilux (which is only 2 years old). May I ask, how much was the price you were quoted?

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

I bought a City SV in December. I paid 694,000 cash and didn't get any discount. They threw in reversing sensors, tints, mats, petrol and a cover. I've read Thai forums where people got a lot more. I'd push for the body kit if I was to buy again.

The car is excellent. Petrol consumption is great, brakes are excellent, MP3 system is 1st class and preformance is excellent. I have a 2000cc Lancer and it isn't that much quicker than the City.

I bought a City SV in December. I paid 694,000 cash and didn't get any discount. They threw in reversing sensors, tints, mats, petrol and a cover. I've read Thai forums where people got a lot more. I'd push for the body kit if I was to buy again.

The car is excellent. Petrol consumption is great, brakes are excellent, MP3 system is 1st class and preformance is excellent. I have a 2000cc Lancer and it isn't that much quicker than the City.

Yes, I'm also most likely going to be buying one soon. If I'm correct, I think you bought the best model, which is the top of the line except for the folding down rear seat 60/40. It's a total scam that they ask an additional 50,000 for that one feature to get the "top line model."

Obviously, the main competitor to the new City is the Vios, which looks very cheap and "plasticy" inside compared to the very pretty, updated and sleek dash and interior fitments on the City. I have driven the Vios and it drives nice, but the City wins hands down.

The SV is the top model and comes with; paddle shift, fold down seats, 16 inch alloys, steering wheel audio controls and the MP3 system.

Some blokes might say its a girls car but in many ways I prefer the city to the 2000cc Lancer.

A friend of mine had one, maybe not quite as Hi-Spec as yours but a very nice car it is/was. I think the price I stated will be for the entry level model with very little creature comforts on/in it.

John.....

The SV is the top model and comes with; paddle shift, fold down seats, 16 inch alloys, steering wheel audio controls and the MP3 system.

Some blokes might say its a girls car but in many ways I prefer the city to the 2000cc Lancer.

Yes the city is a vast improvement over the previous model. I wouldn't mind it but we have a civic 2.0 and my wife prefers a bit more power for highway driving. The city lowered with some big wheels it should look the dog's <deleted>! This is a 'world car' so aftermarket parts should be easy to get, compared to my car which was an asean-only model.

• 1 month later...

The Bangkok Post last Tuesday (3rd) had 2 or 3 articles about the lousy state of the automobile business in Thailand. Sales down; layoffs; GM asking for concessions from the government. Doesn't economic theory tell you that in a market like this you cut prices and/or give some sort of financial incentive (favorable loans, interest rate) when you get a guy walking in the door that's in a position to buy?

I gave up on new and I'm looking at newer, low mileage used cars that are well maintained and have the service records.