Asus Eee Pc Running Linux

Richb2004v2

Has anyone bought an Asus eee pc laptop with Linux running on it, and if so how are you finding it?

I am running linux lite on Acer aspire one (8GB version) and it works really well on surprisingly low specs. I thought the atom processor would be really slow but actually it gets simple things like typing docs, net browsing and email really quickly!

It took me a while how to learn how to install programs and that took quite a long time (for the actual install process too!) but once you get it running it's great. I haven't used the Asus EEE but I imagine that since it uses a similar processor it will be the same speed. In fact the Asus EEE may even be better since it has more storage and more RAM. Many people say the keyboard on the Acer is better than the Asus but I haven't tried the Asus EEE keyboard yet. I was surprised to see that the machine itself doesn't get hot like it does on my 14" screen laptop. I've heard the Asus EEE also stays pretty cool.

So, although these netbooks are not laptop replacements I highly recommend U get one as a spare laptop which you can carry easily with you on trips and coffee shops to check email and watch the occasional movie on the go.

There is one thing I haven't worked out yet. I don't know where to find the recycle bin on linux lite (i assume it will be a simular layout on the Asus EEE running linux! If I delete a file I am not sure if it frees memory or if I need to locate the recycle bin and delete the contents like you do in Windows!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Bought my eeePC last year November already, running the original Xandros-Linux.

Changed to eeeUbuntu - Linux, v.8.04.1 in between - still a fantastic machine!

I came across eeeUbuntu today and thought about switching from Xandros, but it seems a bit soon having only started with Xandros this week. Are you finding any advantages or disadvantages to Ubuntu?

Has anyone bought an Asus eee pc laptop with Linux running on it, and if so how are you finding it?

I occasionally get to play on my wife's 701 4GB and as she opted for the Win XP version, I've put a small install of ArchLinux on a 2GB SD card for when I want to play.

It took a couple of days to get working, and a bit more to get Fluxbox and a few small apps on there (Seamonkey, Links, XChat, Skype, AbiWord,...erm, can't remember the rest) and I'm quite happy when I need to use it. But the install wikis were easy enough to follow and everything works except for turning the wireless off using Fnc+F2, which I have no need to use anyway. It's fast (sub 30 seconds boot I'd guess) and there's a few hundred MB spare.

• 2 weeks later...
The eeeUbuntu should be better long-run when you need to update applications. Looking at the Acer Aspire One myself though.

Both systems are working great. Each have one or two issues that I am trying to resolve. Xandros works pretty much without fault, but I like the aesthetics of Ubuntu, it looks really nice. Have you used eeeUbubtu?