Cheep Hai

engrin

It is very bad Thai.

If I said it my wife would likely slap me.

Suffice to say it's swearing.

If I were you I would not adopt that particular phrase.

That could explain why I don't know it, I know almost no vulgar thai language, it still strikes me as not as vulgar but more informal and possibly insulting. I'll ask my partner when he gets home.

ฉิบหาย (chipL haaiR).

Not polite at all. As mentioned before it means something along the lines of "really <deleted>/dam_n hot".

I think I've also heard ฉิบปิ๊ง (chipL bingH) used, slightly politer.

Edited by 5tash

it's not a bad rule of thumb for a learner of thai to avoid using the word ฉิบหาย.

as others have pointed out, in the expressions mentioned above, it amplifies the adjective and is definitely vulgar/coarse:

eg.

rawn ร้อน

hot

rawn chip hai ร้อนฉิบหาย

<deleted>' hot

as 5tash mentioned, there is also ฉิบเป้ง or ฉิบเป๋ง 'chip peng', used in the same way.

however, the word also has a legitimate meaning, given by domnern-sathienpong dictionary as "to be ruined; to be utterly destroyed". to take an example from Google: ความริษยาพาโลกฉิบหาย 'envy will lead us [the world] to ruin.'

to take a saying: เพื่อชื่อเสียง ฉิบหายไม่ว่า 'for the sake of reputation, there is no cost too great' (lit. for the sake of reputation, i can accept total ruin)

therefore, don't use ฉิบหาย yourself, but don't be too surprised when a monk uses the word in a sermon.

all the best.

Edited by aanon

• 2 months later...

The wife used to use Cheep Hai on me 30 years ago and I still don't know what it means. Also a couple of facial words below which I do know the meaning of. Nowadays ( ปัจจุบันนี้ ( bpàt-jòo-ban née )) she just swears at me in English.

ตบหน้า ( dtòp nâa )

หน้าหี (nâa - hĕe )

In my experience, ฉิบหาย is usually pronounced ชิบหาย (and is sometimes spelled this way in internet slang), with emphasis on the syllable ชิบ. I've also received an earful from the Mrs. when I've tried to use this expression even between the two of us. She doesn't like it. ฉิบเป๋ง (again, usually pronounced ชิบเป๋ง in my experience) is much milder.

I've heard the expression used quite a lot, both in public and private, although nearly always in the context of close friends talking to one another. I remember visiting a Thai female friend in hospital on the day after the birth of her daughter. As she moved to sit up in bed to greet me she said with a pained expression on her face: เจ็บตัวชิบหาย Her husband and the other Thais present just laughed sympathetically.