5 Year Thai Drivers License In English

thai thai

I currently possess a 5 year Thai Drivers License (in Thai) that does not expire until 2553 (2010), and no longer hold a license from my home country. I will be going to Spain and Portugal in a few weeks and need to rent a car...

Can I have my current (Thai) license changed over to the new one in English...or do I need to apply for an International Driving permit...?

I currently possess a 5 year Thai Drivers License (in Thai) that does not expire until 2553 (2010), and no longer hold a license from my home country. I will be going to Spain and Portugal in a few weeks and need to rent a car...

Can I have my current (Thai) license changed over to the new one in English...or do I need to apply for an International Driving permit...?

I believe you can go to the Land Transport office and change the old style 5 year to the new one. Don't know about what paperwork you need.

So I CAN go to get a NEW license (in English/Thai) even though my current on is NOT expired...

You have knowlegde (first hand) of this being possible, and so are giving it the 'green light'...

Thanks Longball...!

Edited by thai thai

You can use your Thai license in English in ASEAN country's only

For Europe you have to apply for International Driving License at the same office as for Thai license.

After reading the relevant regulations, including the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic ( http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/crt1968e.pdf ), I feel pretty sure that you would in fact be legal using your (new style) Thai driver's licence in Sweden. Whether this also applies to the rest of the EU, I wouldn't want to say :o

To be safe, I would however get an IDP (International Driving Permit) before leaving Thailand. Please be advised that there is no such thing as an International Driver's Licence, even though they appear to be advertised on the Internet from time to time. An IDP is in actual fact nothing but a translation of a national licence, issued in a format specified in the Vienna Convention.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

So I CAN go to get a NEW license (in English/Thai) even though my current on is NOT expired...

You have knowlegde (first hand) of this being possible, and so are giving it the 'green light'...

Thanks Longball...!

No firsthand knowledge,,,,,,,,sorry. I believe I read this here on TV on another thread related to the 5 year license. Maybe a search will reveal it.

As priceless pointed out correctly, you can for sure use your latest English / Thai version of the smart card license almost everywhere in the world except in few countries who are not signed in the Vienna Convention on Road traffic.

I've even used my old Thai license (only Thai version) in US and other places even to rent a car.

You can go and change your old version in to new smart card version for a nominal fee of 250+ baht. You just need a valid work permit or residence certificate and your passport. No need for photos. You've to take your old license or if it got missed, just get a police complaint and take the original police station statement with you.

It will take about 10 or 15 minutes to get you the new license. If your old license is still valid, then the new license will be issued till the same valid date. For example, if your old license is still valid till end of 2009, then the new license will also be issued till that date only.

Google it !! you will find that a Thai licence and an IDL issued here will be accepted for a limited time in some counties. Not suprising if you have ever done the test, Spain and Portugal should be ok for a holiday period but make sure you double DOUBLE (re the license) check the insurance :o