Oz Embassy Questions For Spouse Interview?

G'day all. I recently got married to my beautiful Thai g/f of 3 years in Si Racha, Chonburi. I am back in Australia and my wife is in our house back in Thailand. She has recently lodged her 309 visa documents and is attending an interview 14/10 at Oz embassy. She has visited me in Adelaide twice before, for 3 months each time and I have spent a significant amount of time in Thailand with her over the years.

She has been assigned a case office (Thai national of course) and I have telephoned her myself just to clear up a small issue with the documents. There is a problem with getting her police report in Bangkok, due to the recent troubles, but surely the embassy will understand.

My question is, does anyone have any insight into what kind of questions they will be asking my wife at the embassy during her interview. I want to give her some tips via Skype before she attends.

Any assistance is much appreciated. :o

In our case earlier this year, they were particularly interested about the facts surrounding our initial meeting and how the relationship developed from then. A lot of questions about how often I visited Thailand and how we spent time together, as well as my financial support.

All in all quite routine and okay, interview conducted over about a 10 minute telephone call made by Wanida to my wife whilst we were holidaying in Hua Hin. Processing only took a couple of weeks.

I also provided an extremely large photo album documenting about 2 years of our time together.

I thought our application was a tad weak with regard to the Stat Decs, as I only had two, one from a close friend and another from my 30 year old son. I actually think the photos more than made up for this.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by fishhooks

Thanks Fish, it all sounds cool. That lady at the embassy you mentioned is the same person my wife is seeing tomorrow. I have spoken to her on the phone as well and she seems nice, and my wife says she has been good to her as well over the telephone. My misses is not stupid, so things should be fine, I just worry and wish I could be there with her. Fingers crossed. Cheers

Thanks Fish, it all sounds cool. That lady at the embassy you mentioned is the same person my wife is seeing tomorrow. I have spoken to her on the phone as well and she seems nice, and my wife says she has been good to her as well over the telephone. My misses is not stupid, so things should be fine, I just worry and wish I could be there with her. Fingers crossed. Cheers

They will ask about how you met, your relationship future, your work.....basically anything that determines how well you know each other.

The questions will come from your application and the statements you both have to write.

They will ask about how you met, your relationship future, your work.....basically anything that determines how well you know each other.

The questions will come from your application and the statements you both have to write.

Well my wife went to the embassy yesterday and she was interviewed for about an hour.

They asked her questions about our relationship, as you have mentioned. She says it went very well.

She has had a delay getting the police report from Bangkok due to the recent trouble there, so needs to go back with that and then the application will move to the Aussie who makes the decisions. I'm not sure who that will be? Anyhow I assume it will take 2 to 3 months before we will know.

3 months is the maximum time quoted, I doubt you will wait that long by average current approvals.

I hope the turn around is quick.

On another issue, what kind of things are the Aussie embassy looking for in a Thai police report? Are they just making sure the better half hasn't been convicted of a crime or been to goal? What if there has been an issue brought before a judge, but the case was won, will that be of concern?

Just to add something positive, my wifes spouse visa was approved in 22 hours. We lodged one afternoon and I got a call at lunchtime the following day saying the visa was approved. Back then, the letter we got when we lodged said to expect a lot more than a 3 month wait; it think it was 9 months. Sorry, I cannot help you with the interview stage as neither of us were interviewed. Just keep in mind that if you lodge a complete application, your visa will most likely be approved a lot quicker. If there are any troubbles, contact your local MP.

Some Case Officers like to play power games. We were a bit slow getting police check, req co operation from wifes ex another story...

We got the final docs in, I rang from Aus, voice mail "I think this is all you req, if there is any thing else let us know, by the way how long do you expect it to be.

The next day my ife got a call "Does your sponser have a problem, if he does it could take 3, 6 or 12 months, if not all the docs are in and need to be rechecked, will take a month" It was ready in 1.5 weeks

The embassy appear to not want to talk to you at all.

Some Case Officers like to play power games.

I agree to that. When we applied for a tourist for the morher in law (us in Australia, mother in law in Thailand), they kept saying things were missing; <deleted> I said, you must have lost it. I gave them 1 week after the original date they said to pick up the visa. My wife called, and they said not to call, we will call the mother in law when it's ready. I called the case officer back 5 mins later and asked when the visa would be ready? I explained that I am an Australian and the Australian embassy is not run by Thais; there are rules and procedures and timeframes in place to stop hi-so Thai wannabies from going on power trips. I then had to say if you are not going to approve the visa, my local MP would see that it gets done quickly. The case offices then said the visa will be ready to pick up in two days. If you are Australian, and you have been polite and done the right thing and they still try to F you around, that is when you need to need to show who is boss.

If the processing of an application is delayed there can be a number of logical reasons.

Remember there are other visa applicants ahead of you.

Your application will be date stamped on the same day as it is submitted to the Embassy.

All times for processing are from this date, all deadlines are from the date on a formal letter,

42 days is a typical time for supplying additional information.

A visa label can be issued and placed in a passport within 15 minutes but to process a financee 300 or temporary spouse 309 it can take up to 8 weeks and this would cover 80% of applications as a guide.

Additional information was requested to be supplied and there was a deadline for this.

Did you as sponsor or the applicant respond to all formal letters from DIAC.

Did you quote the file number on all correspondence to DIAC.

Did you supply all the required information within the timeframe.

The application will still be processed even if the additional information is not supplied.

Checks are being carried out in Australia on the information supplied by the sponsor.

The applicant will receive a letter stating that the visa has been approved or refused.

If refused the letter will state why. If you think you have a good case you can make a submission to the MRT.

You can also consider making another application at a later date when all criteria for the visa has been met.

Only the Minister of Immigration can in certain circumstances override a decision made by DIAC and then only when all legal process has been completed.

If you do make a formal complaint you must be prepared to supply all documentation for it to be accepted. You can make a complaint to the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

Do not make threats to DIAC staff at any time, and always make sure you can prove all your statements. If you have problems ask to see an Australian senior staff member. Keep a diary of events if you wish.

Like I clearly stated, the application lodged was complete. I had previously spend months putting together a spouse visa that was approved in less than 24 hours. The tourist visa for the mother in law was a piece of cake compared to the spouse visa. Like I said, all the doccuments were lodged, translations were all certified by a J.P., what more could I say? The excuse the case officer gave was bogus, because it was not correct, and the threatening tone of her hi-so voice was unacceptable for a public servant representing Australia. That is why I reminded her that if something was missing, someone in the embassy or the VFS must have lost it.

BTW, if they were not playing power games, and something was forgotten in the application, why was I then told that the passport and visa would be ready in two days after informing them of my action plan? This was clearly a case of a power-tripping Thai acting like a little brat. If anyone chooses to accept that, there is obviously something wrong. I agree that you need to respect these people, like I have always done up to a certain point, but I will not lower my stadards to the ass-kissing culture their and kiss the ass of someone who is just, in a sense, an Australian public servant playing games.

aussiestyle 1983:

I quite agree with you're comments, I will always reply in a very polite manner in the initial stage of any complaint with Immigration, Centrelink or the likes.

But, if I strike any upstart prick along the way, I will go to any length to correct any wrong-doing to myself.

If in the future, right to the Minister's door if need be.

BTW, if they were not playing power games, and something was forgotten in the application, why was I then told that the passport and visa would be ready in two days after informing them of my action plan? This was clearly a case of a power-tripping Thai acting like a little brat. If anyone chooses to accept that, there is obviously something wrong. I agree that you need to respect these people, like I have always done up to a certain point, but I will not lower my stadards to the ass-kissing culture their and kiss the ass of someone who is just, in a sense, an Australian public servant playing games.

Thanks for your reply mate. Well my wife goes to CC tower today to give them her police report, which said she was not a threat to the state, or along those lines anyway! Now we should get a proper case number for her application and no doubt will be told it could take up to 3 months. How long should I leave it before I give them a ring from Australia to find out what's happening? I know we will have no issues and want to get things moving quickly.

Thanks for your reply mate. Well my wife goes to CC tower today to give them her police report, which said she was not a threat to the state, or along those lines anyway! Now we should get a proper case number for her application and no doubt will be told it could take up to 3 months. How long should I leave it before I give them a ring from Australia to find out what's happening? I know we will have no issues and want to get things moving quickly.

Honestly, if the wait time suggested is 3 months, I'd wait the 3 months before following up. You should find out before the 3 months if 3 months is what they suggested. We planned to wait the full 9 months back then. It was funny, our case officer appeared to like us because we lodged together in person so she could ssee us together, that might be why she didn't wabt to interview us, however, she gave us no impression that it would be approved the next day. All the did was smile and hand us the letter that said 9 months with our case number. she called me the next day at work and I said bullshit! I don't think she was impressed, but she new I was expecting to wait longer. If you call them early, they might get the shits, and after all, they will say 'well, we said to expect 3 months, why call early?" So..... I'd wait the 3 months, and call as soon as it is 3 months and 1 day. Good luck mate. Just be positive and know there isa good chance you will get approved early, and, it could even be the following day :o

MintyA:

If your case is fairly straight forward with no paperwork omissions needed to be followed up, I doubt you will need to wait anywhere near three months.

I think you said earlier that you're Case Officer is Wanida. She was ours as well and I phoned her after 2-3 weeks as I was waiting to make flight bookings and the airline was quite busy at the time.

She was fine, business like but friendly and said the case should finalize during the following week.

It did!

MintyA:

If your case is fairly straight forward with no paperwork omissions needed to be followed up, I doubt you will need to wait anywhere near three months.

I think you said earlier that you're Case Officer is Wanida. She was ours as well and I phoned her after 2-3 weeks as I was waiting to make flight bookings and the airline was quite busy at the time.

She was fine, business like but friendly and said the case should finalize during the following week.

It did!

Yes it's been 1 week since my wife lodged everything, so I will probably wait another couple more weeks and then give Wanida a ring from Australia to find out how things are progressing. Thanks for all your help, I will be sure to let you guys know how we go.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke to my wife and she got a phone call from the Aussie Embassy yesterday and her 309 visa has been approved!! So happy. She goes in to get her passport endorsed first thing on Monday morning. Thanks to all who offered me advice, much appreciated guys.

Just spoke to my wife and she got a phone call from the Aussie Embassy yesterday and her 309 visa has been approved!! So happy. She goes in to get her passport endorsed first thing on Monday morning. Thanks to all who offered me advice, much appreciated guys.

Congratulations ...

Hey I probably saw you in the embassy on Monday morning (i was wearing a red t-shirt with vespas on). We got the call last Friday and I went and got the visa.

It took 5 weeks from submission and she did not even have to go for an interview, just chatted to Wanida for 5-10 minutes on the phone a couple of weeks ago.

Just booked flights now and we are off to the Goldie on the 26th. Just need to sort out some shipping now.

:o

Russ

• 2 years later...

I have sent a nice hand written letter to Wanida's boss, expressing my thanks etc. Got to keep them sweet! But she was very efficient and did her job well.

Well people, just wanted to give you an update and advise that my wife has finally been granted her Subclass 100 Spouse (Migrant) visa to stay as a permanent resident in Australia.

We are both very happy, and to top it all off, the Mrs is pregnant as well. Ripper Dipper!

I have sent a nice hand written letter to Wanida's boss, expressing my thanks etc. Got to keep them sweet! But she was very efficient and did her job well.

Well people, just wanted to give you an update and advise that my wife has finally been granted her Subclass 100 Spouse (Migrant) visa to stay as a permanent resident in Australia.

We are both very happy, and to top it all off, the Mrs is pregnant as well. Ripper Dipper!

Thanks for the update - congratulations too.

I agree Wanida is very efficient and does her job very well.