Clock Tower

mumbojumbo

Ajarn Chalermchai did excellent job, its very beautiful indeed. I think from just starring at the clock could cause accidents, haha.

I saw Arjarn Chalermchai in a talk show, he told at night cars would just falling into the small moat (next to the road) because they were starring at the temple (you know how beautiful the lights were at night time).

Old Clock Tower

IMAG0001.jpg

New Clock Tower

1214157788.jpg

Edited by konjianghai

I suggest the gilding whole block and then putting up some buffalo skulls surrounding the clock tower. Maybe paint the street black.

But after that we would have to say "enough is enough", because too much of it will soon start to change the appreciation of it in a negative direction and by it I mean of Chalermchais and Thawans work. An 'overkill' in the sence of over-exposure could be deadly for both of them.

For poor Thawan's work indeed as well, as I would expect him to opt for another kind of clocktower, this time built on black remnants of the past. He deserves a chance, but I am sure he wouldn't accept the offer. A man who principally comes too late, you can't entrust the design of a clock-tower.

As Harrry pointed out, also for Chalermchai the clock was just a minor, non important, detail of his clock tower.

People have watches nowadays, don't they?

You are supposed to look at the work of the artist, not at the clock, as this might distract you from the higher inspiration the artistic value of the tower is meant to give you.

When 'decorative art' becomes purely decorative its looses the aspect of art.

Khun Chalermchai is doing a great job at the temple of Rong Kun. He is reviving classical religious art and adjusting it to modern times. He combines old principles with modern techniques and functional artistic insight.

The clock tower intermediates to me the feeling that only the left-overs of Kun Korn were used to create it.

Where the white Portland cement from Oregon embeds the Belgian mirrors the feeling is still genuinely honest in the use of materials. When a nondescript material is used and separated from its onlooker by a layer of gold paint, one starts to doubt.

It becomes quickly 'too much of the good'.

But give it some time, one day, like so many great European monuments from times long ago, also this clocktower will have a nick-name and with that it will have gained acceptance.

All right, what about "Goldy-tic-tac"?

Limbo :o

Edited by Limbo

Don't you have to give way coming out of Jedyod? (Yetyot whatever).

Traffic coming from the right and all that?

Edit: Anyway what was the last time YOU gave way to a motocy?

There are also less sight lines to the traffic with the new one but I guess that doesn't matter as no one looks anyway. No one will have their hands on the wheel though as they will be all wai ing to the chedi.

Don't you have to give way coming out of Jedyod? (Yetyot whatever).

Traffic coming from the right and all that?

Edit: Anyway what was the last time YOU gave way to a motocy?

There are also less sight lines to the traffic with the new one but I guess that doesn't matter as no one looks anyway. No one will have their hands on the wheel though as they will be all wai ing to the chedi.

:o

• 4 weeks later...

The new clock tower took much time and effort to complete. We all have A. Chalermchai to thank for this. But if you ask my personal opinion regarding the new clock tower, the descriptiont that comes to my mind Thai Cothic. It is too gaudy for my taste.

The clock tower could also do without the flashing LED lights that "dance" around the clock face. You will have to drive by during the evening to see it.

I see the old clock used Arabic (Western) numerals (12,3,6,9) - does the new one use Arabic or Thai (๑๒, ๓, ๖, ๙) numerals (or none)?

I took a shine to the Thai numbered clocks outside the (former) World Trade Centre and went in search of a wrist watch in the same vein for novelty value. Wound up having a stand-up argument with a vendor on Sukhumvit who insisted that Arabic numerals were Thai and the only alternative was Roman ("Loman!") numerals (XII, III, VI, IX) :o