Some Car Questions

sunny747

Hi all,

i have a second hand lancer which i bought few months ago. It runs smooth but only problem it has is slightly modified with thick muffler which produces loud artificial sound. The noise often "eats my head" when i'm driving 100km+.

I want to change that muffler somewhat quite but with good torque.

1. Shall i go to mitsu service center or just normal garage? I want to make sure that it runs smooth with good speed.

2. i go to Shell to wash my car. i pay 200 baht and they clean all the parts including spraying water on the engine directly. Isn't it bad for the engine?

thanks so much,

regards,

To get great torque you need to change the entire exhaust system. The muffler rarely does produce more power and in some cases with poor R&D looses power. I have seen a few local exhaust systems made here in Thailand that definitely put the cars power at risk. This means that they did not calculate correctly on how much it can flow therefore causing the car to loose even more power.

If you want the engine to run smooth, you may want to consider synthetic engine oil, check your spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, timing belt, water pump.

To get great torque you need to change the entire exhaust system. The muffler rarely does produce more power and in some cases with poor R&D looses power. I have seen a few local exhaust systems made here in Thailand that definitely put the cars power at risk. This means that they did not calculate correctly on how much it can flow therefore causing the car to loose even more power.

If you want the engine to run smooth, you may want to consider synthetic engine oil, check your spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, timing belt, water pump.

exactly. Somebody told me the same. So you recommend i should go to Mitsu service center to change the muffler right? they expensive.

1.I use the normal shell engine oil. never used synthetic oil yet.

2.I have changed new spark plugs. But spark plug wires are still the old one i guess. what does it do actually?

3. Distributor pipe? all black ones? yes i have new one.

4. timing belt i have changed it 5 months ago. How often do i have to change it? after changing, i have driven 10,000km.

5. Water pump? is the pipe which works through the radiator to engine? If yes, i have already changed it.

so above mention things are exhaust system right? So shall i get a new muffler ? a quite one perhaps?

thanks a lot buddy.

Just get a 'clone' of a standard back box or muffer, without replacing the whole exhaust system it is very unlikey you would gain any performance, more offen than not you would lose performance.

You might even get a trade in on the shinny beer tin you have now.

Timing belt should be good for more like 30k + BUT do check - cheap enough to replace early VERY costly if it breaks!

Just get a 'clone' of a standard back box or muffer, without replacing the whole exhaust system it is very unlikey you would gain any performance, more offen than not you would lose performance.

Timing belt should be good for more like 30k + BUT do check - cheap enough to replace early VERY costly if it breaks!

Also you can change to a twinloop muffler. It's a replica of the mugen brand. I have one and it's very quiet and has a nice sound to it at high rpm. Actually it's a bit too quiet for my liking! I think you can get one for 4000-5000 baht. Forget the original mugen twin loop - it would be over 30000 here. it will not scarifice any torque at all. look here: http://www.421header.com/product9.html

Also you can change to a twinloop muffler. It's a replica of the mugen brand. I have one and it's very quiet and has a nice sound to it at high rpm. Actually it's a bit too quiet for my liking! I think you can get one for 4000-5000 baht. Forget the original mugen twin loop - it would be over 30000 here. it will not scarifice any torque at all. look here: http://www.421header.com/product9.html

oh thanks...looks nice....

well, shall i buy from outside and let mitsu service center fix for me? still looking for the answer.....i didn't see service centers selling any mufflers. ..

oh thanks...looks nice....

well, shall i buy from outside and let mitsu service center fix for me? still looking for the answer.....i didn't see service centers selling any mufflers. ..

That link I gave you, they will fit it as well:) That is probably the largest exhaust shop in bkk for headers/exhausts/turbos, etc. The fitting will be included in the sot I think. Don't bother buying one off the shelf and going to the mitsu service centre - it would probably add a lot to the cost. Just get the exhaust shop to fit it. You will see this style of exhaust at nearly every small exhaust shop of the street, so just pop in where it's convenient, or try the shop in the link. I think my twin loop is from mengheader (Honda fitted it when I bought my car, as I requested one).