Fiance Visa To Uk

hey folks just a quick post to say my fiance in thailand and i recently submitted a fiance visa application in bangkok, shortly after she was called to go and book an interview, came back as the 24th November seems a long time but still i guess these things take time. Im just generally worried that this going to take forever or the visa will be refused. But surely if they were going to refuse it they would have straight away. With regard to the interview she knows everything about me, where i live, my job, who i work for, the car i drive how we met, when i asked her to marry me, my mum and dads names, the dogs names my mum and dads age, everything really.

Have i missed something or have anything to worry about ?

Do they sell will power and anti worry drugs because sometimes it drives me mad her not being here. Also i hear so many getting phone interviews so a full blown interview is worse ?

I guess i just need some support really?

Edited by Darren75

surely if they were going to refuse it they would have straight away
When a visa officer first looks at an application there are three options open:-

1) The paperwork shows that the criteria for the visa are met; visa granted.

2) The paperwork shows that the criteria are not met; application refused.

Both without an interview.

3) The paperwork shows that the criteria seem to be met, but there are one or more areas of doubt that need clarification; applicant invited to an interview.

To my mind calling her for an interview means that the officer is minded to grant the visa, otherwise she would have been refused without the interview. Just ensure she answers all questions honestly, if the honest answer to a question is "I don't know" then that is what she should say.

When a visa officer first looks at an application there are three options open:-

3) The paperwork shows that the criteria seem to be met, but there are one or more areas of doubt that need clarification; applicant invited to an interview.

To my mind calling her for an interview means that the officer is minded to grant the visa, otherwise she would have been refused without the interview. Just ensure she answers all questions honestly, if the honest answer to a question is "I don't know" then that is what she should say.

Or, the visa officer is minded to refuse but has insufficient grounds to justify the decision on any appeal and may hope to obtain further inconsistencies through an interview.........

Why put someone through attending an interview though rather than doing it over the phone if it's merely some clarification on a few facts needed? My wife had a short phone interview for her visa.

Or, the visa officer is minded to refuse but has insufficient grounds to justify the decision on any appeal and may hope to obtain further inconsistencies through an interview.........

The burden of proof lies with the applicant, not the visa officer. Therefore the officer is looking to see if the applicant meets the criteria for the visa applied for. To put it very simply, the officer is looking for reasons to grant, not for reasons to refuse. It is up to the applicant to provide those reasons to grant and if they fail to do so then any refusal would be fully justified.

CharlieB, indeed sometimes the clarification needed is very minor, so a telephone interview is sufficient.

But surely if they were going to refuse it they would have straight away. With regard to the interview she knows everything about me, where i live, my job, who i work for, the car i drive how we met, when i asked her to marry me, my mum and dads names, the dogs names my mum and dads age, everything really.

Have i missed something or have anything to worry about ?

The interview is not unusual, they might just be clarifying small points in regard to the application. If you have submitted a good case with supporting docs in regard to what they are looking for, then they might be looking to see certain criteria, to understand certain points that have been submitted.

If they feel something is weak, they will target it to confirm a refusal, or they feel it is a good application but something is missing, so confirmation is required.

If you feel confident and everything has been covered, you are in the driving seat, after all it hasn't been refused out right.

Good Luck

Moss

The burden of proof lies with the applicant, not the visa officer. Therefore the officer is looking to see if the applicant meets the criteria for the visa applied for. To put it very simply, the officer is looking for reasons to grant, not for reasons to refuse. It is up to the applicant to provide those reasons to grant and if they fail to do so then any refusal would be fully justified.

CharlieB, indeed sometimes the clarification needed is very minor, so a telephone interview is sufficient.

All depends on one's view, I suppose.

Are you personally concerned in the issue of visas? You speak with such certainty one could be forgiven for thinking so or perhaps you are just voicing your own, possibly mistaken, belief in a system whose intricacy may well be beyond your comprehension.

I only make the point lest you convince others in your urge for simplicity that the field of immigration law is a picture of Elysian bliss not blighted by conflicting argument occupying the minds of countless lawyers and adjudicators in whose thickets the unwary have become ensnared.

To the OP, it was not my intention to spread alarm. I am sure your application will succeed if it is right you meet the requirements of the immigration rules. The interview is a test of that and according to the prevailing principle the visa officer must measure any decision on the balance of probabilities. This may involve a degree of subjectivity on his part but one can only hope that the scales will tip in her favour according to the strength of evidence. I am sure it will.

I am not a qualified professional, but I have read the immigration rules, diplomatic services procedures and other government publications, including the guidance offered to applicants. Most of my interpretations of these have been confirmed as correct by a number of acquaintances who are fully qualified in immigration law.

However, I am not infallible and if a qualified person wishes to correct anything I post then I will happily accept such a correction. Similarly if an amateur such as myself can point to an official document showing that I am incorrect then I will be happy to accept that too.

Immigration law is a complicated area, and the rules change often. Advice given by amateurs such as I on sites such as this must be regarded with that in mind.

Let me ask you a question. The UK Visa section in Bangkok deals with thousands of applications each year. Why would they waste their time calling someone for interview if they had already decided to refuse?

Why would they waste their time calling someone for interview if they had already decided to refuse?

I made no such point. I was merely adding another possibility to the bald options you had identified. Perhaps another reading of my post may assist but in truth your grasp of what others may know to be the " actualite " is really neither here nor there.

I am not a qualified professional, but I have read the immigration rules, diplomatic services procedures and other government publications, including the guidance offered to applicants. Most of my interpretations of these have been confirmed as correct by a number of acquaintances who are fully qualified in immigration law.

However, I am not infallible and if a qualified person wishes to correct anything I post then I will happily accept such a correction. Similarly if an amateur such as myself can point to an official document showing that I am incorrect then I will be happy to accept that too.

Immigration law is a complicated area, and the rules change often. Advice given by amateurs such as I on sites such as this must be regarded with that in mind.

Let me ask you a question. The UK Visa section in Bangkok deals with thousands of applications each year. Why would they waste their time calling someone for interview if they had already decided to refuse?

While your post is logical, I don't think you can always use logic when dealing with some of the various embassies decisions on visa refusals.

The first bit of your post I got, but didn't quite grasp

in truth your grasp of what others may know to be the " actualite " is really neither here nor there.
I assume by this you mean you know the truth and I don't?

Your opinion, your right to hold it. My right to disagree with you.

CharlieB. It is true that some refusals appear to defy logic. Unfortunately, though, in the main the fault for a refusal lies with the applicant as they may very well have qualified for the visa but failed to show that they did.

i didnt mean to turn this into a full blown argument lol im just wishing for a little support at the moment mainly because i miss her alot which is very understandable thats all. all supporting docs have been given and they have not asked for anymore documentation on my behalf or my fiance so thats all good. if they wanted more docs then im sure they would have asked for them to be provided.

i didnt mean to turn this into a full blown argument

This is a walk in the park, wait till Topfield, Atlastaname, GU22, Silomfan et all and my good self and Jangles join the fray :o now that is a fracas.

Hope you got your support, but if you have any need for clarification, I am sure the protagonists will keep it to PM and your concerns will be answered as best as they can within the vagaries of the British Gov't.

Good Luck

Moss

i didnt mean to turn this into a full blown argument lol im just wishing for a little support at the moment mainly because i miss her alot which is very understandable thats all. all supporting docs have been given and they have not asked for anymore documentation on my behalf or my fiance so thats all good. if they wanted more docs then im sure they would have asked for them to be provided.

Just out of interest, and maybe for future information for myself, do they do this? Ask for more documents if you are short? So if you forget something they will ask you to provide it rather then just refuse it and start again?

Is this the same for Tourist Visa, or is that just straight refusal if short on documents,

oh and good luck too.

My wife back in June had three phone interviews and they then told her she would have to have one face to face, she never had the face to face as they then rang her and said come and collect your visa there is no logic at all matey.

Bread

Yes both 7by7's and thucydides scenarios are possible although , slight caution , if they were thinking of granting it a phone call interview would perhaps have been more usual .

If you are sure you have provided everything asked for then make sure beyond sure that she knows everything you have put in the application. Drill her with dates, Thais are hopeless at remembering dates.

Darren i am so sorry to hear of the turmoil you are going through. Many of us here , certainly I, have been there more than once. You want to mention this to the next person who posts here saying appl

ying for a UK visa is a smooth pleasant experience.

One last piece of encouragement... my MP once told me that in his experience of these matters , almost everyone who is determined enough (with foreign sponcership) gets the visa they want in the end. You have to be hard as nails but you will get it in the end. GOOD LUCK !!

Thank you for all your support guys its so difficult sitting in the uk feeling so hopeless or useless knowing that all you want in life is for your fiance/wife to be with you, i know these things take time even so its very difficult sitting here not being able to do anything. im very confident that everything will be ok in the end.

Thank you for all your support guys its so difficult sitting in the uk feeling so hopeless or useless knowing that all you want in life is for your fiance/wife to be with you, i know these things take time even so its very difficult sitting here not being able to do anything. im very confident that everything will be ok in the end.

hi, good luck with it all.

I'm about to go through the same process, can i just confirm which application form you used, and the cost?

My missus is due to go back to thailand and we've booked a wedding for next feb in the UK, and ive managed to royally confuse myself with all this marriage/fiance/settlement stuff.

cheers.

paul

I went thru' this procedure this year. We completed all the relevent paperwork, one thing which you obviously know, is that she has to be solely supported by you, is financially independent, ie. money in Thai Bank Account. I must say that the telephone interviews are probably being done to ensure her commitment as you are not there. A common reaction, so don't worry.

Incidentally, we got married, she has a two year Visa and life is marvellous, both here and in Thailand. :o

darren I would not worry,

Have you gone through the questions they are going to ask my wife was asked my mothers name where we where going to live what I did for a job e.t.c

Its rubbish lots of the questions she did not know the answer two as I dont see alot of my family so had never spoken about them eg. sisters name

As long as your paper work is ok there really wont be a problem also I dont think I have read one case that someone that had a genuine case on thai visa and had given the correct paper work being turned down.

I know its hard sitting in england waiting for you gf to do it (and if like mine some of the finer details of what they wanted to know got lost ) but it will be ok

bread

thank you bread .... she knows everything about me where i live the date we met the date i ask her to marry me my mums name my dads name my dads job my fav colour the make of my car the place where we getting married all the dogs names. my job how much i earn my mum and dads age, how we met what we did after we meet, when we go buy ring for each other, everything about me and her she knows. i teach her well and she practice with it everyday. she even knows when and where we are getting married.... the main problem for me is just sitting here missing her like crazy and feeling so useless its horrible but each day is a day closer and hopefully this time next month she will be here and i will be the happiest man on the planet

Edited by Darren75

It will be ok mate

The other thing to start thinking of which I think alot people forget is finding out where the local thai eating places are and where the chinese/thia supermarket is, it makes life easyer also i would go and get some thai food for when she gets here (big points) eg. oyster sauce, nodles, rice, rice cooker etc.)

But as a say I wouldent worry mate sounds like you got the pre visa jitters it will all be fine.

Where are you in the country ? you never know may be able to point you in the right direction for some good thai food

breads