Boycott Emporium Shopping Centre!

duncaw

I'm no Scrooge but to me the Christmas "season" does not start until 1st December at the earliest.

Yet again the Emporium has put up their revolting white pseudo "Christmas tree" in October.

No doubt it will now be there until the end of February.

I for one will no longer be shopping there in protest and I urge you all to follow my example.

Erecting foreign pagan symbols just seems so out of place in a predominately buddhist nation. Christmas trees don't even have any relationship to Christmas from a religious perspective so it's all commercial. I don't need to see this junk go up and I doubt anyone except maybe the tourists from Japan and China get all excited about fat jolly Santas, fake snow, elves & reindeer when its 35 and soggy outside. A couple students I knew in Seoul one year collected alot of the decorations with the idea of making a protest bonfire. Bad idea because all it made was a really bad black toxic smoke spiral that made everyone sick.

I'm no Scrooge but to me the Christmas "season" does not start until 1st December at the earliest.

Yet again the Emporium has put up their revolting white pseudo "Christmas tree" in October.

I for one will no longer be shopping there in protest and I urge you all to follow my example.

Erecting foreign pagan symbols just seems so out of place in a predominately buddhist nation. Christmas trees don't even have any relationship to Christmas from a religious perspective so it's all commercial. I don't need to see this junk go up and I doubt anyone except maybe the tourists from Japan and China get all excited about fat jolly Santas, fake snow, elves & reindeer when its 35 and soggy outside. A couple students I knew in Seoul one year collected alot of the decorations with the idea of making a protest bonfire. Bad idea because all it made was a really bad black toxic smoke spiral that made everyone sick.

Julie, just go to the beach and forget about it. Mai pen rai na? :o

I don't need to see this junk go up and I doubt anyone except maybe the tourists from Japan and China get all excited about fat jolly Santas, fake snow, elves & reindeer when its 35 and soggy outside.

What a nonsense post!

Tokyo is all decorated, more than Bangkok.

And, how about Xmas and trees and santas at 40C in Sydney and all Oz and NZ?

I don't need to see this junk go up and I doubt anyone except maybe the tourists from Japan and China get all excited about fat jolly Santas, fake snow, elves & reindeer when its 35 and soggy outside.

What a nonsense post!

Tokyo is all decorated, more than Bangkok.

And, how about Xmas and trees and santas at 40C in Sydney and all Oz and NZ?

it is decoration .... how does it hurt you? and how could it be bad if it only excited tourists from china and japan?

Crap ... by that logic I guess we should import snow to Nazareth so that holiday is more authentic!

I go a bit (way) off topic here, but in Sweden about 90% of the population watches Disney cartoons on Christmas eve 15.00 and have been doing so for the last 35 years. The funny thing is that in early images of Santa he wears blue clothes. It is due to the fact that coca cola started to make Santa´s clothes red in their adds that we have the understanding that a Santa costume should be red.

Edited by Hawkup2000

Christmas tree erected in October!

they put up a massive, sickly yellow coloured, xmas tree in front of Taksila hotel in Mahasarakham City in January this year, well past xmas 2007 and when I left in June, it was still there. It took away 8 car parking spaces. Will be back in January 2009 and I'm curious to find out if it's still there one year on ... lol :o

The OP is probably American... always trying to boycott this or boycott that, to get the maximum amount of power and control for their money. Gawd. My mom is the same way... paying taxi drivers in Barcelona, Tokyo or wherever.. in US DOLLARS. Why? Oh, "they love US dollars" according to her. She treats everyone like they are from the Congo or some third world country that will jump and whistle her tune for her <deleted> dollars.

The OP should evaluate her motives for boycotting things. It is probably mega control /power issues... not to mention arrogance. Of all the reasons to actually start a boycott, a tacky Christmas tree is not one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

OK agreed. Will do. No problem.

And just for good measure I will not shop anywhere in Bangkok at all, ever,

So, take that Emporium. Biff, bash. I bet you are cringing in fear. :o

What is Emporium? We don't have one in Pattaya City, the finest place to shop? in the universe. It can't be any good or we would have at least two or three!!

Happy horridays to all. :D

roflmao

It's less than a month now. Do I have your permission to go now or do I have to wait until Monday?

What has religion got to do with Christmas decoration, at least in Asia. Think about it: most Christmas decoration looks slightly tacky, is very colorful, and has loads of flashing lights. Of course Asians love it! Putting up X-mas decoration is a recent phenomena here in Vietnam but it really has become popular with the locals; there are huge queues of people outside the malls having their photos taken with Father Christmas (and yes, Vietnam is predominantly Buddhist, too).

Whilst no big fan of Christmas myself, I don't see any harm done and certainly wouldn't boycott a mall because of it, but I guess it is the OP's prerogative.