Bus To Malaysia

looby

• 1 year later...
You can get a bus to Had Yai ... from Sai Tai Mai (Southern bus terminal) ....

but the train is sooooooo much nicer and safer!

No it's not - It's disgustingly way over any sane limit of carbon monoxide Diesel fumes

throughout the entire trip. It's freezing and dizzying because of this.

Brick headed people don't seem to notice.

The cabin stewards about to go postal from it every time he kicks everyone

off at Hat Yai because They're on strike for the 47th time.

I've done both and I'll NEVER take the bus again. Awful. Had a transfer in the middle of the night, too.

BTW, the Air Asia fare ain't all that expensive.

I want to go from BKK to Kuala Lumpur. Air Asia flights are 1000 baht including tax, and there'll probably be a sale in the new year. How much is the train for the journey from BKK to KL? Would it be cheaper?

I've taken the bus from Penang to Bangkok. Was a van from Penang to Hat Yai, then a Thai bus to BKK. Was kinda fun to do once as I enjoyed looking at the scenery, but I would NEVER do it again. Take a plane, land travel isn't worth it unless you're just doing it for the adventure of it.

train: always delayed, the journey can take you upto 20 hours, or more. even with sleeping berth, its not worth it.

bus: a very long trip, but if you are really wanting to go on the road (rather than taking the flight) then choose the VIP bus. the normal aircon one is way too crammed for such a long journey.

once you get to Hadyai you will have to switch to local taxi/mini van to get across the border, and from there depending where in Malaysia you want to head to, you can get: train, bus, taxi or flight

airasia flight is most time efficient. either fly to HadYai, or to KL or to Penang :) and at times work out to be cheaper than the train/bus options

enjoy :D

wonder if should move this to travel...... hmmmm

Train starts in BKK and is much better than the bus. I have done both many times during my first years in T. 2nd class/low sleeper/fan would be the best choice, but that is available to Had Yai only. http://www.sawadee.com/transfer/train-south.htm

But if that should be a cheap and quick trip to Malaysia, Airasia would be a better option nowadays.

the fan class is impossible. I dont know why you feel that is the best?

if you really HAVE to choose the train, then I think you will need the air-con

unmanageable otherwise.....

Done that a/c class as well. It's more sterile and fish in aquarium like, sometimes even too cold. With all the windows closed you can't get that train riding feeling many travellers around the world are longing for. With (half)open windows you are much more a part of the ride through the landscape - the different smells, the sounds, the air stream, you can stand and see much more, the wind in the curtains, etc etc.

Of course if you lack that romantic feeling, are not interested in that and just wanna go from one place to the next I would take Airasia.

Some people enjoy the rides, others wait and hope the ride will be over asap.

:)

Never that far. I have been on the "tourist" bus from Bangkok to Phuket before though. I was about 30 then (so a good 30 years ago now) it wasn't that bad. The worst part was that they drove around Bangkok for over two hours picking up people whp had booked the tour..before we got into the bus to Phuket at the bus station in Bangkok. I remember waking up at night on a road winding through the mountains. The bus crew was up at the front of the bus, they were racing with another bus beside them. The bus was swerving around the corners racing the other bus.

What the h#ll, I figured....if I'm going to be killed I'd rather be sleeping at the time....so I went back to sleep.

Bangkok to Phuket by bus is ar least 16 hours or more.

Took the train 2nd class sleeper train from Bangkok to Penang a couple of times during by "visa run" days. It's a most of 24 hours overnight trip.

I don't think I'd do either one now in my 60"s. That kind of stuff is for the younger people. Met some interesting people on the train however, including a guy who had been a backup singer with James Brown once. Met a monk who was the head of a Thai Wat in Malaysia on another trip. He spoke excellent english with a British accent,,,and was quite well educated aparently...had a good knowledge of Thai and Southeast Asian history too.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I've taken the bus from Penang to Bangkok. Was a van from Penang to Hat Yai, then a Thai bus to BKK.

Yes, the van. And on my van segment, a backpacker, also a passenger, decided to get comfortable by taking off his hiking boots. OH MY GAWD. The horror of that memory still haunts.

Drove from BKK to S'pore in late Dec '99. Wanted to avoid potential Y2K problem on an air flight.

Trip took 43 hours with a 16-hr overnight break in Haadyai and a 15min break every 3 hours drive. Left BKK around 8am, lunch at Chumpon and dinner, breakfast and lunch in Haadyai. Dinner in KL and reached S'pore at 2am.

Edited by trogers

I've been looking at a similar problem. I need to pick up some equipment in KL that is quite heavy. About 150kg. Air Asia is definitely out. It would cost a fortune.

Can anyone suggest the best way overland from KL back to Bangkok when carrying heavy luggage? I want to minimize transfers as well as minimize costs.

If the Butterworth from Penang to BKK is the recommended choice, what is the best way from KL to Penang?

I've been looking at a similar problem. I need to pick up some equipment in KL that is quite heavy. About 150kg. Air Asia is definitely out. It would cost a fortune. Can anyone suggest the best way overland from KL back to Bangkok when carrying heavy luggage? I want to minimize transfers as well as minimize costs. If the Butterworth from Penang to BKK is the recommended choice, what is the best way from KL to Penang?

Prolly best to just take the KL -> BKK train. Judging from the schedule sheet I have, it looks as though the #36 is your only choice, but I would check with KL Sentral first and see what's the latest they have on offer for this route.

This link might help some, too:

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#How

Edited by ballzafire