Knee Problems

benjamat

I am having knee problems and from past experience believe it is the joints breaking down.

Is it safe to arrange surgery in bkk rather than return to uk, arthroscopy or knee replacement.

Also any ideas about prices for these procedures.

Many thanks.

May not help but I have had knee problems and started on glucosamine and fish oil tablets. That was 5 years ago and been fine since, may be worth looking into, what it does is build up the lubrication in the joint.

Agree that glucosamanine is worth a look - seems to have cleared up some nagging problems i had with my patella tendons quick enough - although these were never acute in nature.

To the OP: I don't know specifically about knee surgery in BKK but there are some good hospitals in the city - BNH I have had good experiences at, and Samitevej seems to get good comments in the main, but there are others of course. Would say that as ever in Thailand it is 'caveat emptor' so look around until you find a doctor or surgeon that you are personally comfortable with. I had a major procedure (not knee related) at BNH in 2005 and the price was roughly 40% of what it would have cost privately in the UK - but I have read reports that private medical costs in Thailand have risen faster than general inflation since then...

HTH,

CC

I had ACL replacement in Bumrungrad few years back. No problems at all. Forgotten the docs name but I recommended him and others on here have doen also. Supposed to be the most experienced doctor in Thailand for arthroscopy knee work.

Do a search you should get his name in the health forum

Just Remembered his name DR Panya.

Edited by dekka007

I am having knee problems and from past experience believe it is the joints breaking down.

Is it safe to arrange surgery in bkk rather than return to uk, arthroscopy or knee replacement.

Many thanks.

Orthopedic surgery certainly is safe in Bkk.

BNH, Piyavate, Samitivej, and Bumrungrad would be good places to start.

Costs:

Total Knee - b300 000-b450 000

ACL - b150 000-b225 000

Regardless of where you went (even Samitivej), it would be

more cost effective than having it performed in the UK.

Many thanks.

How heavy are you?

Would it be possible to take some weight off and lighten the load on the joints?

Many thanks.

How heavy are you?

Would it be possible to take some weight off and lighten the load on the joints?

Knee surgery in Thailand is probably better than in the UK.

If u want to save money, try Lerdsin Hospital.

Yes, understand about weight. I am a little overweight compared to when I was younger but seems to be nothing I can do about it.

When you reach late fifties weight gain is almost inevitable.

Thanks to all for advice.

My favorite motto is "The closer to the nature, the better" How about eating low fat raw vegan that is mostly fruits and greens? Then do some exercise (as long it does not give you pain, a real pain means stop :o

If you start eating fresh ripe whole fruits (not a problem in Thailand by far) and along with exercise, you will start to lose weight naturally and many parts of your body including your knees will rebuild nicely. Just give it a time and be patient.

Doing Hindu Squats will do wonders for your knees, start slowly and do few reps (if you can tolerate some pain, if not then rest and let it heal over time).

I would do that approach rather than opting for surgery, drugs et al... Give it a try for a month or three and see how it goes. How bad is eating fresh raw ripe whole fruits and veggies?

Yes, understand about weight. I am a little overweight compared to when I was younger but seems to be nothing I can do about it.

When you reach late fifties weight gain is almost inevitable.

Thanks to all for advice.

My favorite motto is "The closer to the nature, the better" How about eating low fat raw vegan that is mostly fruits and greens? Then do some exercise (as long it does not give you pain, a real pain means stop :o

If you start eating fresh ripe whole fruits (not a problem in Thailand by far) and along with exercise, you will start to lose weight naturally and many parts of your body including your knees will rebuild nicely. Just give it a time and be patient.

Doing Hindu Squats will do wonders for your knees, start slowly and do few reps (if you can tolerate some pain, if not then rest and let it heal over time).

I would do that approach rather than opting for surgery, drugs et al... Give it a try for a month or three and see how it goes. How bad is eating fresh raw ripe whole fruits and veggies?

Thanks for thoughts.

Ive tried all sorts to lose weight but as you get older with things like calcification and the like there is inevitably some weight gain I think, will try and eat more fruits but have to say that in general I do not eat a great deal anyway. I think this also to do with age, waahhhhhhh.

Edited by benjamat

Many thanks.

I had my knee sugery at Bumrungrad a few years ago and it was a complete success great after care etc. The Surgeons name is Dr. Panya Wongpatimachai a very professional Surgeon who does at least five similar operations a week and I nice guy to boot!

Good Luck Mate!

Thanks for thoughts.

Ive tried all sorts to lose weight but as you get older with things like calcification and the like there is inevitably some weight gain I think, will try and eat more fruits but have to say that in general I do not eat a great deal anyway. I think this also to do with age, waahhhhhhh.

Welcome.

If you eat less calories than what you burned, then you would eventually lose weight over time. :o Like if you eat 1,500 calories and then burn 2,000 calories in a day then you are minus 500 calories a day so in about 6 days or so, you will lose a pound of fat (a pound of fat is about 3000 or so calories).

When you start to eat fresh fruits and veggies, you will start to lose water weight because your body use water to dilute the toxins that comes with cooked foods, cooked meats, cooked grains, dairy products etc..., when those toxins are removed from the body via various channels then body can get rid of excess water.

That is true for anyone say age 5 to 90 :D

Many thanks.

they give you already a the names of a few hospitals. I only like to ad that their are 2 qualities of knee prothesis. the normal one with a life time of 10 to 15 years and the new OXINIUM protheses who have a real long life quarantee. But I don't know if they are already available in Thailand

PS I do have 2 OXINIUM knee replacement, 1 about 4 years ago the other about 3 years ago, and very happy with it

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/OXINIUM_...ONIUM_24484.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Oxinium-Knee-Rep...&id=1535461

You can always PM me if need some more detailed information

Certain orthopedic surgeons specialize in large joint replacements and do several per week, shoulders and knees and hips. I saw one at Samitivej in 2006, a Thai who did a residency at several US hospitals including Baylor at Houston. Check their website for ortho surgeons. He said if cost were a factor, he could have me recover at St. Louis Hospital in BKK. But maybe he does not do many knees; check the website.

Maybe you don't need surgery yet. Get more than one opinion. A big part of the cost is the prosthesis itself, and Thai surgeons do not charge much. Also, do not believe everything you read on the internet, or hear from doctors here.

Dr Panya did an operation on my shoulder a few years back. (i dont recommend having shoulder surgery for fun for anyone). he does a lot of knee surgery in bangkok and i can highly recommend him. hes a decent man, a good doctor, and doesnt beat around the bush.