Bring Back The Thai New York City Bagel Bakers!

Jingthing

I had to laugh when I found out about this. What some New York foodies consider the BEST bagel in New York City (which may well mean the best bagel in the world) is baked by THAI people! And yet it doesn't seem that you can find an authentic bagel anywhere in Thailand. It just ain't right. New York has enough bagel bakers.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2006/09/the...c-and-anot.html

Also if interest, this history of the bagel article (the American style BOILED bagel started in Krakow Poland) which also references the THAI bagels!:

http://www.slate.com/id/2204140

Edited by Jingthing

it doesn't seem that you can find an authentic bagel anywhere in Thailand.

How will you find bagel in Au Bon Pain?

For me, I like it there... :o

No accounting for taste. They are shaped like bagels, I'll give you that. They've got a hole.

I prefer the memory of a real bagel to the reality of a phony one.

Edited by Jingthing

am making some real New York bagels today if I get the time ... will be available at the Bistro tomorrow

John

Gonna be up your way tomorrow John (the Mrs and I are moving closer at the end of the month) so I might drop by.

Re The bagel - this is my retirement business plan in the making. Give me a couple of years to get this sorted then we will bask in real bagels again in the city.

Au Bon Pain is not the standard!!!

am making some real New York bagels today if I get the time ... will be available at the Bistro tomorrow

John

Gonna be up your way tomorrow John (the Mrs and I are moving closer at the end of the month) so I might drop by.

Re The bagel - this is my retirement business plan in the making. Give me a couple of years to get this sorted then we will bask in real bagels again in the city.

Plan to deliver out of town. :o

John

Plan to deliver out of town. :o

Yes, check out our on-line shop .. we will start shortly to deliver by EMS all goods which will not be affected by this method of transport to anywhere in Thailand

These items include baked products like Rye Bread, Bagels, etc.. you will find these items under the "Retail" section

John

Come on by :D unfortunately there is no beer today, tomorrow and Sunday :o

Au Bon Pain make a nice soft doug bread which looks like a bagel but isn't - not bad as far as bread or rolls in BKK are concerned but just not bagels

Au Bon Pain make a nice soft doug bread which looks like a bagel but isn't - not bad as far as bread or rolls in BKK are concerned but just not bagels

Agreed.

Are your bagels boiled, or not? I have had nice ones that are not boiled, but you called them real New York bagels, so doesn't that imply boiled ones?

No beer John, what will you do with yourself all day tomorrow?? :D

well lol I just found out from Tong Law Police that we can sell beer up to 6pm since we are a restaurant after 6pm no alcohol apparently that goes for today tomorrow and sunday

was the usual confusion

well lol I just found out from Tong Law Police that we can sell beer up to 6pm since we are a restaurant after 6pm no alcohol apparently that goes for today tomorrow and sunday

was the usual confusion

Isn't it always interesting to see that when it comes to alcohol rules in this country, that impretation is discretionary and oft times very fluid.

Agreed.

Are your bagels boiled, or not? I have had nice ones that are not boiled, but you called them real New York bagels, so doesn't that imply boiled ones?

Of ourse they are boiled first before baking otherwise they are not bagels, certainly not New York Bagels - the boiling stops the Bagels from rising any further in the oven and makes for a denser texture

Edited by JohnBKKK

Isn't it always interesting to see that when it comes to alcohol rules in this country, that impretation is discretionary and oft times very fluid.

everyone is basically clueless and rules are made up as one goes allong lol - I'm sure in other areas they can serve beer also at night but the waiters have to wear bow ties - who knows what are the reasons - I find those no drink rules at certain times strange anyway and somehow fail to see the point .. the Thais are going to drink anyway,

But back to Bagels now lol

Edited by JohnBKKK

ror? :o in Au Bon Pain isn't good...

It's possible... most in here agreed with this.... :D

Well, I am not a bread-lover (but rice-lover, actually), but I'd love to try...

Khun JohnBKKK, I may drop by at the shop tomorrow...

Will c, if it's not too busy, gotta work on weekends.

ror? :o in Au Bon Pain isn't good...

It's possible... most in here agreed with this.... :D

Well, I am not a bread-lover (but rice-lover, actually), but I'd love to try...

Khun JohnBKKK, I may drop by at the shop tomorrow...

Will c, if it's not too busy, gotta work on weekends.

ehem.. didn't say that ... I just said that their Bagels are ok if called soft dough rolls or something like that but they are not real New York Bagels, they are too soft and light to be called that ... but since they cater for Asians a lot, who preferr soft bread ......

John

Agreed.

Of ourse they are boiled first before baking otherwise they are not bagels, certainly not New York Bagels - the boiling stops the Bagels from rising any further in the oven and makes for a denser texture

Why say of course? I agree boiling makes for an authentic bagel, but consider the example of the famous Noah's bagels chain in the US. These are tasty bagels and never boiled. So it was a legit question that any bagel fancier worth his cream cheese may have asked.

Edited by Jingthing

Why say of course? I agree boiling makes for an authentic bagel, but consider the example of the famous Noah's bagels chain in the US. These are tasty bagels and never boiled. So it was a legit question that any bagel fancier worth his cream cheese may have asked.

I'm looking at New York Bagels only .. that's why the "of course" :o

I'm looking at New York Bagels only .. that's why the "of course" :o

Great. If you can do these quite well, why not freeze them and distribute to some western food stores Thailand-wide? That is a much bigger market than direct order and there is definitely a demand. Bagels hold up to freezing pretty well, don't they?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm looking at New York Bagels only .. that's why the "of course" :D

Great. If you can do these quite well, why not freeze them and distribute to some western food stores Thailand-wide? That is a much bigger market than direct order and there is definitely a demand. Bagels hold up to freezing pretty well, don't they?

That is what I'm looking at right now - making some for the Bistro for tomorrow which will be served with cream cheese and smoked salmon - testing the market so to speak since I have my usual crowd of US customers in since we can serve beer :o

Yes, Bagels freeze very well withot any real loss of quality - defrost them in your refridgrator - dip in water and place them into the oven at 160C for as long as it takes for them to heat through lightly and the skin crisps up again

Edited by JohnBKKK

Great to hear that EuroG. If you do build a bagel empire here, I think you could easily start with just a few classic varieties -- plain, poppy (very popular but makes you fail drug screening tests), everything (thick salt, poppy, sesame, onion), maybe onion, maybe sesame, or even just do plain.

I have to admit EuroGourmet is not such a hot branding name for a bagel empire, but if a guy named Hussein can be elected US president, anything is possible.

Great to hear that EuroG. If you do build a bagel empire here, I think you could easily start with just a few classic varieties -- plain, poppy (very popular but makes you fail drug screening tests), everything (thick salt, poppy, sesame, onion), maybe onion, maybe sesame, or even just do plain.

I have to admit EuroGourmet is not such a hot branding name for a bagel empire, but if a guy named Hussein can be elected US president, anything is possible.

:o a Bagel "Empire " sure, with a few hundred potential customers at best.... hmmm .. yesterday I made just a few since I had no time during the day at the main kitchen since I also had to rush into town and explain to my staff once again what "minimum stock" means .. that it does not mean "we are out of......" and our driver was busy delivering .. oh well so I had to make them late in the evening at home where I don't have all the prof. equipment ... turned out nice though if very handmade looking but its the taste and texture that matters.

Next week I will start a small production and probably put some in the Villa 33 freezers and than we shall see...

As to our name "Eurogourmet", the Bagel, like most US American Food originated .. guess where .... in Europe .. supposedly in Austria.

When the Eastern European Jewish immigrants arrived in North America at the turn of the century, they brought the bagel with them.

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Of course I know the origins of the modern bagel came from Europe/East Europe but I think it is fair to say it became mass popularized in the Americas. I was only talking about BRANDING. If I was starting a bagel specific brand I would go more American/Jewish rather than Euro, but I realize you already have an established brand.

http://www.slate.com/id/2204140

To emphasis my point if I was starting a French croissant company, I wouldn't call it Moishe's Best.

Edited by Jingthing

As to our name "Eurogourmet", the Bagel, like most US American Food originated .. guess where .... in Europe .. supposedly in Austria.

When the Eastern European Jewish immigrants arrived in North America at the turn of the century, they brought the bagel with them.

John

I can vouch for that. My great grandfather, who immigrated from Austria in 1903, founded the International Beigel (that's the way they spelled it) Baker's Union (Local 338) in New York City in 1907. They were originally street food sold from carts in New York City and sold on sticks.

I can vouch for that. My great grandfather, who immigrated from Austria in 1903, founded the International Beigel (that's the way they spelled it) Baker's Union (Local 338) in New York City in 1907. They were originally street food sold from carts in New York City and sold on sticks.

Now that's street cred that will be hard to beat.

Yesterday at the Bistro, my US regulars had their pork knuckles, burgers and apple pies .... gave them 1/2 hour to digest and than I put the bagels in front of them, just with some cream cheese and announced another testing panel moment. I do it this way because by than they are full to the brink and their judgement is not tainted by hunger

Results were very positive besides the Bagels being slightly compressed in height (got to reset the packaging machine when packaging Bagels) - they would stand up to a New York bought Bagel, were tasty and had the correct density ...... soon on the menu Bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon - A Bagel with an egg omelette - and plain New York Bagels by EMS (Thailand wide) from our website or for bangkok via chefsxp

Edited by JohnBKKK

Looks excellent. Many people traditionally like capers on that classic as well though. Not essential. I like sliced avocado and sliced jalepeno peppers peppers on my lox and bagels but I know that's weird.

Edited by Jingthing

Looks excellent. Many people traditionally like capers on that classic as well though. Not essential. I like sliced avocado and sliced jalepeno peppers peppers on my lox and bagels but I know that's weird.

I personally love capers but found that I'm in a minority - had it for my dinner after taking the picture and I can only say it is fantastic, the onions enhance the salmon flavor and the creamcheese adds a richness that could not be achieved with anything else. Our New York Bagel may not look as perfect as some massproduced ones but I think flavor and especially texture are important. I do not use any molds to get them perfectly round and totally smooth. They are simmered for 45 seconds per side prior to baking by the way

Edited by JohnBKKK