Gmail Pop Access Screwed Today?

RDN

I didn't turn off my PC last night, went to Outlook Express to get my mail and got this error:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: '  GMail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [sYS/TEMP]Temporary system problem. Please try again later.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

So I tried logging on to the web site - no problem.

So I changed my password using the web site, changed it in my OE (Outlook Express) account settings, and still can't get my mail. But can see it on the web site.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit:

I should add that I can send from Outlook Express - when I send, OE logs into the server, and sends my mail. If I go to the web site, I can see a copy of my sent mail in my account. Crazy!

Edit 2:

I now see that Google itself is f***ed! Oh dear! :o

Edited by RDN

I didn't turn off my PC last night, went to Outlook Express to get my mail and got this error:
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: '  GMail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [sYS/TEMP] Temporary system problem. Please try again later.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

So I changed my password using the web site, changed it in my OE (Outlook Express) account settings, and still can't get my mail. But can see it on the web site.

Edit:

I should add that I can send from Outlook Express - when I send, OE logs into the server, and sends my mail. If I go to the web site, I can see a copy of my sent mail in my account. Crazy!

Edit 2:

I have gmail and outlook.. Works normally today

Did you check in the settings you put the right outgoing mail forwarder???

I have gmail and outlook.. Works normally today

Did you check in the settings you put the right outgoing mail forwarder???

Very strange. I did check everything that google suggested in the email that they sent me after I complained about the problem. (Obviously I had to read it on the web site - couldn't get it into OE). All the settings were OK.

So I left the PC on, went to the market, got 2 fish and some rice for tea, came back home, tried to get my mail again and it is working!

I can only guess that google had a problem somewhere today and it's been fixed. The google search engine is working too - and I had never seen the error I got earlier today. It said something like "Internal server error, please try again in 30 seconds" and it had a big google logo so I'm sure it was from them.

I hope this is a one-off. I don't want to have these problems on a regular basis. :o

Let's face it, computers do have an own life.

I was sitting since 9:00 am to fix some problems, to install another UPS etc. etc.

All kinds of negative messages, seems the brand news UPS had a problem.

Your solution I liked: two fish and some rice and the problem is gone.

Confirms, fish is healthy :o

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: '  GMail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [sYS/TEMP] Temporary system problem. Please try again later.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Edit:

Edit 2:

Hi, yep I had the same problems, I have a POP3 account (my own website) also a yahoo account, can't access either from Outlook, yesterday couldnt even access the POP3 from the web. Today I can so it looks like the problem is slowly rectifying itself

Maybe none of my business but why on earth would anyone use Outlook with Gmail? The one big advantage in Gmail is their excellent web interface coupled with the virtually unlimited storage.

:o

Outlook Express actually :D , and the reason is simply that I can keep all my emails on my PC - not on a web site. I have emails going back to 1995: remember CompuServe :D:D:D

Hi, yep I had the same problems, I have a POP3 account (my own website) also a yahoo account, can't access either from Outlook, yesterday couldn't even access the POP3 from the web. Today I can so it looks like the problem is slowly rectifying itself

Agreed. Internet access via Pacific has been <deleted> for more than 24 hours down here (Phuket). It's slowly getting better but I just don't understand why it can be perfect for days on end - even at the weekend - and then goes to <deleted> during a week day. I still have this mental picture of a bank of modems at Pacific, all with a red light flashing and no one with the brains to reset them.

Maybe none of my business but why on earth would anyone use Outlook with Gmail? The one big advantage in Gmail is their excellent web interface coupled with the virtually unlimited storage.

:D

Outlook Express actually :D , and the reason is simply that I can keep all my emails on my PC - not on a web site. I have emails going back to 1995: remember CompuServe :D:D:D

Yes I do actually, and TRAVSIG ... :o

I've never managed to keep more than a few hundrede MB worth of mails in any Microslush email client, after that it usually crashes and corrupts the mail file.

I only use webmail these days (on my own server). Gives me the freedom to store all the mail in the world in a place that I can access from any dumb terminal anywhere in the world (with the possible exception of Thailand with it's crappy internet).

As I said, a few hundrede MB worth of emails. You're almost there :D

:D:D

And starting from Friday lunch time, the internet access was normal again. You'd think Friday night and wekends it would be bad - lots of people on-line. But this is at least the third time it has gone really bad during a week-day. Don't understand it. Unless, just before the weekend "rush", they check that all their modems are switched on? No, couldn't be.... could it :o

Internal server error, please try again in 30 seconds

Does not mean google server, but the "border server" that is used to connect LOS to the farang Internet.

gmail have the bad habit to not fit really the filters that check what is exchanged (censure?), so as it was necessary to change them, the access was provisory turned out (supposition ?????????)

Internal server error, please try again in 30 seconds

Does not mean google server, but the "border server" that is used to connect LOS to the farang Internet.

gmail have the bad habit to not fit really the filters that check what is exchanged (censure?), so as it was necessary to change them, the access was provisory turned out (supposition ?????????)

Yes, that makes sense - about the "border server". It happened again at a time when data from the internet to me was almost zero.

Edit:

Edit 2:

Hi RDN, just wondering if you're still experiencing any technical difficulties? I can send email thru outlook, still can't receive it though, although the Hotmail account thru outlook works. Web based email works fine.

Hi RDN, just wondering if you're still experiencing any technical difficulties? I can send email thru outlook, still can't receive it though, although the Hotmail account thru outlook works. Web based email works fine.

Hi, all problems appear to have gone away. I think it was last Thursday when they started and lasted for about 1 1/2 days. Then Friday afternoon everything was back to normal - that being an astounding 42.6 kbps connection and maybe 36 kbps downloads. Good enough for me!

The only little niggle I get is while picking up my Gmail - sometimes Outlook Express hangs displaying "Receiving list of messages from server...". But I can fix it by cancelling the operation and trying again.

What I really like about Gmail is that once the mail arrives on my PC, the "Message rules" kick in and move them to the correct folders. With Hotmail, I have to copy the files from the Hotmail Inbox to my Local Folders inbox and the rules have to be applied manually.

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: '  GMail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [sYS/TEMP]Temporary system problem. Please try again later.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

When you read this error message carefully it says "-ERR [sYS/TEMP] Temporary system problem. Please try again later.".

This message is a "answer" from the gmail pop server, not from your outlook express.

It usually means their is something wrong on their side, or maybe some maintenance/backup procedure. Nothing you can do about it except following their suggestion "try again later".

I had this problem a few times but just waited until it was resolved. Sometimes a few minutes although 1 time it was several hours.

The webbased e-mail has nothing to do with the POP mail server so you can not make conclusions if that one was working but POP was not.

When you read this error message carefully it says "-ERR [sYS/TEMP] Temporary system problem. Please try again later.".

This message is a "answer" from the gmail pop server, not from your outlook express.

It usually means their is something wrong on their side, or maybe some maintenance/backup procedure. Nothing you can do about it except following their suggestion "try again later".

I had this problem a few times but just waited until it was resolved. Sometimes a few minutes although 1 time it was several hours.

Yes, I realised it was not an Outlook Express error, but wondered just where it came from. Another post suggested it may have come from my ISP's server - maybe my ISP's server could not talk to the google mail server. But now I see that the "Temporary system problem" message actually came from the google server.

The webbased e-mail has nothing to do with the POP mail server so you can not make conclusions if that one was working but POP was not.

Thanks for that - I hope they can sort it out so that their POP server is on-line 24x7. I don't like being 'cut-off' even for a short time.

But it was strange that I also got an error when trying to connect to the google search web site at about the same time as the email problems were occurring and also when Internet access was very bad. If I get that message again, I'll capture a screen shot and post it here.

Thanks again for your help.

Got a reply from gmail - not very enlightening:

Hello,

Thanks for your report. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have

experienced. The issue you described should now be resolved. If you

continue to experience difficulties, please respond to this message, and

we will investigate further.

We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

The Gmail Team

I have recently been getting another problem - the retrieval of mail using POP has been hanging at either the "Authorizing" stage or the "Receiving list of messages from server" stage. Sometimes I get this error message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible

causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long

period of inactivity. Account: '  GMail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com',

Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I reported this to Gmail and got this reply:
Hello,

Thanks for your report. We are aware of this problem, and our engineers

are working diligently to find a solution.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Sincerely,

The Gmail Team

Meanwhile, I've reverted back to Hotmail.

Not sure about this RDN, but I've been using Gmail POP access (using Incredimail as opposed to Outlook, not that it should make any difference concerning POP). I access the account everyday, sometimes several times a day without any problem. I'm using AIS as my internet server as I live in the "sticks" without a landline. Anyway, just FYI.

Not sure about this RDN, but I've been using Gmail POP access (using Incredimail as opposed to Outlook, not that it should make any difference concerning POP).  I access the account everyday, sometimes several times a day without any problem.  I'm using AIS as my internet server as I live in the "sticks" without a landline.  Anyway, just FYI.

I have a feeling (can't prove it one way or another) that they haven't quite got the protocol straight and if it breaks down at some point - for example an acknowledgement of a particular message gets "lost" or "scrambled" - then it can't recover or doesn't retry.

I was in the comms business for 18 years before I retired and the symptoms seem to fit what I'm seeing. Just this morning I tried to get my Gmail and OE got to the point where it says "Receiving list of messages from server" , and it stopped. I could see from my Internet traffic program that I was getting absolutely nothing down from the net. So I cancelled that process and repeated it, and it worked perfectly. So that's why I think the protocol is just not 100% reliable.

I hope the email I got from Gmail is not a "Fobbing off" email, and that they actually are aware of this and are working on it. At the moment I am forwarding all my Gmail to Hotmail so that if Gmail hangs, I can get it from Hotmail. Like you, I collect my mail about 20 or 30 times a day. It needs to be reliable!

Thanks for your input. Please post any more thoughts you might have - especially if you think there's something at my PC end that could be causing it.