Wualai Saturday Walking Market

mayhasoc

Want to know if there is still a Saturday Night Walking market on Wualia Street where the local silversmiths come out to sell their wares. Is it worth seeing? I am coming up from Bangkok to look for a couple silversmiths to have some items handmade. Any recommendations? I speak pretty good Thai and would like a someone who doesn't cater to Farangs only.

Tks

May

ps looking forward to the cold weather!!

My opinion :

Wualai road 'traditionally' has a lot of shops that sell silverwares. (Any day of the week). The Saturday market adds to that; I bet the silver shops remain open for that.

I think those shops are very sad; prime examples of a completely fading industry; most shops are family run with the families having more than enough money, and just keeping their dusty shops open for 'Asian reasons' such as it being bad luck to close them down.

Face it, silver is a cheap material and currenlty not very sought after by Thai people. (Gold is king, silver is nothing).

However, I do have a recommendation to make for silver stuff and it's NOT on Wualai: On Thapae Road there is a shop called 'Angel' I believe (not sure about the name) and the guy there is really quite good, and the prices reasonable. When driving it's on the right hand side not too far before you hit Thapae Gate. (Or when walking from the gate, then it'd be on the left)

> I speak pretty good Thai and would like a someone who doesn't cater to Farangs only.

Frankly, as most Thais don't give two sh*ts about silver, you will find the most talented people designing and crafting stuff with an international audience in mind. It's a Good Thing.