Need Help

Hi. Im a newbie here. I honestly dont have much understanding about the rules and regulations of alot of things.

Anyways, my dad married a Thai lady about 20 years ago and now they have 3 children ages from 16, 14 and 3. Recently my dad asked me to loan him a sum of S$5000.00. He said its for to renew his visa that is expiring end of this year. What puzzles me is that he is already a PR there, have a property, running a small biz and married with 3 kids. So why does he need the money to renew his visa?

He told me this as well, that he needs the money to show to the immigration dept that he has that certain amount of money in the bank as so he can stay. He also said that if he could not prove to them that he has the money, that he has to come out of Thai and a possibly that he could not re-enter the country again.

But i just read of the info given that once you are a PR in Thai, that you could permanently stay in Thai. So my question is, do you need to renew your visa once you are a PR? and do you need a certain amount of $ in the bank to prove as you can stay even if you have been a PR for almost 20 years? (i know this applies for 1st timer to be a PR in any country)

If anyone could help me with this, I would truly appreciate this.

*hugs*

If he really has PR is does sound strange but perhaps he only has a support Thai wife extension of stay. He would still be resident here for all intents and tax so perhaps he only has his home here rather than the legal PR paperwork? The requirements for support wife increased from 200k in bank account to 400k in bank account this year so that might have something to do with it. I do not believe he would have a problem if unable to meet the full requirement but he might not know that and be afraid to ask; especially if small business is not fully documented. But if you are sure he as a PR book have no idea why he would need funds for a visa.

Edited by lopburi3

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but given he has PR status, he sounds like he's just milking you for some money....  :o

If he is actually only on extended Non-Immigrant O visa's he has to show 400,000 Thai baht in a bank in Thailand, or a combination of income and savings. Establish the actual basis for his stay in Thailand.

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but given he has PR status, he sounds like he's just milking you for some money....  :o

Thanks Lopburi3, Sriracha John and Dr Pat Pong for your time and reply. I just spoke to my dad and no matter what, I still have to send him the money cus he is screaming his lungs out at me. I guess sriracha john is right. I hate my dad :D

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but given he has PR status, he sounds like he's just milking you for some money....   :o

Thanks Lopburi3, Sriracha John and Dr Pat Pong for your time and reply. I just spoke to my dad and no matter what, I still have to send him the money cus he is screaming his lungs out at me. I guess sriracha john is right. I hate my dad :D

Good luck Dark <_<

If he really has PR is does sound strange but perhaps he only has a support Thai wife extension of stay.  He would still be resident here for all intents and tax so perhaps he only has his home here rather than the legal PR paperwork?  The requirements for support wife increased from 200k in bank account to 400k in bank account this year so that might have something to do with it.  I do not believe he would have a problem if unable to meet the full requirement but he might not know that and be afraid to ask; especially if small business is not fully documented.  But if you are sure he as a PR book have no idea why he would need funds for a visa.

Isn't the 200k grandfathered if you been a resident prior to Oct 1998? :o

If he really has PR is does sound strange but perhaps he only has a support Thai wife extension of stay.  He would still be resident here for all intents and tax so perhaps he only has his home here rather than the legal PR paperwork?  The requirements for support wife increased from 200k in bank account to 400k in bank account this year so that might have something to do with it.  I do not believe he would have a problem if unable to meet the full requirement but he might not know that and be afraid to ask; especially if small business is not fully documented.  But if you are sure he as a PR book have no idea why he would need funds for a visa.

Isn't the 200k grandfathered if you been a resident prior to Oct 1998? :o

Nope. All increased to 400k for married persons now.

As someone else said, don't judge him too harshly as yet. When you say he is a PR, are you sure he has that legal status or do you just mean that he has been resident here for a long time?

If he's run into trouble and needs the money quickly then maybe you can excuse him screaming his lungs out. Offer to send him the money and then suggest he sends it back to you once the visa is sorted out. Then decide if you should hate him or not.

As someone else said, don't judge him too harshly as yet. When you say he is a PR, are you sure he has that legal status or do you just mean that he has been resident here for a long time?

If he's run into trouble and needs the money quickly then maybe you can excuse him screaming his lungs out. Offer to send him the money and then suggest he sends it back to you once the visa is sorted out. Then decide if you should hate him or not.

I have already send him the money yesterday. The thing is, this is not the first time my dad has come out with 'excuses' that he said that he needs $ for whatever reason he has with the Thai embassy as so for him to stay in that country. It's that he has 'cried wolf' so many times and I dont even know whether what is actually happening cus I have only been to Thai twice.

The most disheartening thing he did to me was that he told me that his area was hit by big wind (something like the twister) and he needed $ to fix his house cus most parts of the house was gone. I was in shocked thinking of my half siblings and quickly raise up funds to send it to him. So a few weeks later, I gave him a surprise visit to my shocking surprise, the house is as how i saw it the first time 5 years ago. I mean, I would know if a house is hit or not. So, i dont trust my dad anymore from then. As a parent myself, i teach my daughter never to lie and my father thought me never to lie when i was younger. So i guess my dad is not a good teacher who i can look up to. I just hope that I will not turn up like my dad and disappoint my little princess.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. The reason why i needed help cus i just need to know more about the info. I guess whatever info i have, in the end, i still have to do what a child has to do towards their parents..that is to clean up after them when they are old.

*hugs*

I have already send him the money yesterday. The thing is, this is not the first time my dad has come out with 'excuses' that he said that he needs $ for whatever reason he has with the Thai embassy as so for him to stay in that country. It's that he has 'cried wolf' so many times and I dont even know whether what is actually happening cus I have only been to Thai twice.

The most disheartening thing he did to me was that he told me that his area was hit by big wind (something like the twister) and he needed $ to fix his house cus most parts of the house was gone. I was in shocked thinking of my half siblings and quickly raise up funds to send it to him. So a few weeks later, I gave him a surprise visit to my shocking surprise, the house is as how i saw it the first time 5 years ago. I mean, I would know if a house is hit or not. So, i dont trust my dad anymore from then. As a parent myself, i teach my daughter never to lie and my father thought me never to lie when i was younger. So i guess my dad is not a good teacher who i can look up to. I just hope that I will not turn up like my dad and disappoint my little princess.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. The reason why i needed help cus i just need to know more about the info. I guess whatever info i have, in the end, i still have to do what a child has to do towards their parents..that is to clean up after them when they are old.

*hugs*

You are kind, gentle and caring Dark. Christmas joy to you :o