Airfares To Thailand : When The Troubles Are Over

peter991

I wish I had a crystal ball sometimes - no. make that ALL the time. I would love to know the AUD / THB (Thai baht rate) in early March 2009. I would also like to know what airfares will be like at the same time.

I checked Sky Scanner and was pleasantly surprised. Economy class, return airfares from Perth (Australia) to Bangkok (Thailand) - including all taxes and charges are close to $AUD1100 for Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, but the budget carriers seem to be having a mini-price war. Air Asia $AUD783; Jetstar $AUD618 and Tiger $AUD556.

I doubt if I will get any cheaper airfares - but does anybody know if TAT is going to offer a subsidy to any carriers or something similar to get tourists back into Thailand once these 'troubles' are over?

Peter

Don't know about subsities Peter, but Air Asia is useing KL as a hub. Airlines were worried about Thailands stability after the coup in 2006. (Thai's have totally killed their credability now)

Air asia had flights KL to London available to book last week for US$200. Air Asia's budget set up seems to be the winner now (for all world connections to SE Asia-except Japan)

does anybody know if TAT is going to offer a subsidy to any carriers

the price of the regular fares will drop because of less demand and because of the weeker baht - however, less than $556 you should not expect. Buy it now.

don't think that TAT will subsidise fares - tourists from neighbouring countries would use bangkok airport as a hub but spend their money somewhere else

The airlines may cut flights to Thailand as a result of the current nonsense, after all there are a lot of people thinking twice before going to Thailand. If this happens then there will be enough demand to keep prices high.

Does anyone know how to or anyone who as managed to get on one of those empty planes flying it to pick up stranded pax?

yes, I do-but those affected will not interest you

the planes also do not comi in empty-though not 100% full either. there are also loads of people waiting for transport to BKK/Thai and others living here and holidaymakers who know this LOS. Also: most pllanes that now use other airfields are on stop-over: like China Airls AMS-(BKK)-on to Taipai-ditto for EVA-eir, or EK with a stop in BKK onward to HKG

AirAisa efffectively-this also shows up when you start the booking-is 3 separate branches: Malay-Thai and Indonesian

I have been monitoring the flight prices from the UK to LOs for march Feb/March/April.

I dont know if it has anything to do with the "Troubles "in BKK but the fares have just shot up , over £100 recently.

I had to delay booking my flight and now it looks like an expensive trip to see the in laws this time.

:o

I have been monitoring the flight prices from the UK to LOs for march Feb/March/April.

I dont know if it has anything to do with the "Troubles "in BKK but the fares have just shot up , over £100 recently.

I had to delay booking my flight and now it looks like an expensive trip to see the in laws this time.

:D

I don't think that's due to the troubles just sounds like the usual Xmas price hike kicking off. A couple of years back I compared the price I was quoted for LHR-BKK-LHR in March with same flight December. March was circa 400 GBP and December 1000 :o .

Have you tried West East Travel ?

Yeah, thanks Mosha, but It looks like it is across the board ,

7 days ago I could get a Etihad flight 26/3/08-09/4/2008 £458 , now itis around the £600 mark

He who hesitates etc etc :o

OK mai pen rai. The last time I used them I flew Thai. The flight was half empty, or is it half full. A block of 3 seats to my self, now that is what I call a win. People knock Thai but I've never had a bad flight with them.

Edited by Mosha

Have you tried West East Travel ?

Yeah, thanks Mosha, but It looks like it is across the board ,

7 days ago I could get a Etihad flight 26/3/08-09/4/2008 £458 , now itis around the £600 mark

He who hesitates etc etc :o

Only Jet Airways now at £516 for your dates

Dep: LHR 10:05

Arr: BKK 08:40

Dep: BKK 07:40

Arr: LHR 17:55

In the short term airlines cannot really alter the frequency of fights but in the medium term they can and some will surely look at reducing capacity because people are just not going to come to Thailand after this latest fiasco.

I mean, say I am a self employed on a contract for daily wages. I lose money for each day I am not at work and cannot risk that. So I choose somewhere else.

As well as reduced demand, the massive fall in oil prices is attracting the attention of authorities who might question airlines as to why they still have fuel supplements as high as they were when oil was $147 a barrel and not $55 as now. Airlines may be forced to reduce this but I would not be holding my breath.

Cathay Pacific cut their 'taxes' (fuel surcharge etc.) today. I found out when I booked a flight to Manila that avoided Thailand. The drop in fuel costs could have something to do with cheaper air fares becoming available.

Of course flights to Thailand came down suddenly once the crisis started because they want to get passengers back onto flights as soon as the crisis is over.

Does anyone know how to or anyone who as managed to get on one of those empty planes flying it to pick up stranded pax?

Can be done. Speak to the airlines. CX offering Hong Kong To U-tapao for 16,000THB. Nice quiet flight :D

:o Qute a few years ago, when I worked in Saudi Arabia, I used the "Haji discount" with Malaysian Arlines on it's flight to KL and then on to BKK. They always have a lot of Moslems going into Saudi for the Haj, and then returning a week or so later after the Haj is over. If you timed your vactaion correctly you could travel against the flow. The planes came in full with Hajis, but went back mostly empty. Then later the direction was out of Saudi, and the airlines had to bring in half-empty planes for the Hajis leaving. So if you were going in the opposite direction to the majority flow at the right time you had nearly empty flights. You could never get the airline to admit to a discount at the normal ticket counter, but if you talked to the people in the back office you could get up to a 50% discount on a return fare...just as long as the dates were correct.

Don't know if that would work now on flights coming into BKK, but it might be worth a try. Airlines don't make any money of half-empty planes.

:D