Farm Fair In Maejo?

jaideeguy

Start today until Dec. 10, 2008. :o

Part of the 75th anniversay of Mae Jo Univ and is on the university grounds. Went by on the 3rd as they were setting up and saw furniture booths, pottery/china from Lampang booths, etc. So it appears like more than just a farm fair. Probably like a typical county fair in the U.S.

Edited by noise

Wife says [but is sometimes wrong] that the anual farm fair is going on this weekend in Maejo.

Please confirm and don't mention that I said that my wife is sometimes wrong......

There's certainly something going on on at The Maejo University Campus. Being quite close by, I popped in for a look and can highly recommend a visit if you're into Gardening or Food. Miles of stalls of plants ( all labelled in Thai-not a Latin name to be seen) down many different avenues and miles of stalls of delectable snacks down other avenues. If you're lnto Orchids or Sausages its for you. No sign of Farm animals ; no pigs,cows,goats,bulls,little lambs or even hens except on spits.

I could have missed them as it spreads over many, many acres and I never got a map. But its hardly a FARM FARE. Its a plant and food fare. A classier mixture of Kamthieng Plants, Thanin Food,and Warorot miscellaneous,( I got my catapault there), lots of good cheap clothes, - 99baht for a really good tee shirt-and wonderful wood furniture, but all in a pleasantly expansive environment.

There was also a large football-pitch-sized Stadium which was being prepared for some sort of Concert, maybe Saturday. You could flounce around in a pony and trap at your pleasure or go with the proles on a little train like at the the zoo. Altogether an interesting half days entertainment. It was packed on Friday afternoon so what Saturday will be like is anyon'e guess. Its a big, big Market. And very enjoyable. Its not an Agricultural Fare as far as I could see. I saw no Cowboys.

Wife says [but is sometimes wrong] that the anual farm fair is going on this weekend in Maejo.

Please confirm and don't mention that I said that my wife is sometimes wrong......

There's certainly something going on on at The Maejo University Campus. Being quite close by, I popped in for a look and can highly recommend a visit if you're into Gardening or Food. Miles of stalls of plants ( all labelled in Thai-not a Latin name to be seen) down many different avenues and miles of stalls of delectable snacks down other avenues. If you're lnto Orchids or Sausages its for you. No sign of Farm animals ; no pigs,cows,goats,bulls,little lambs or even hens except on spits.

I could have missed them as it spreads over many, many acres and I never got a map. But its hardly a FARM FARE. Its a plant and food fare. A classier mixture of Kamthieng Plants, Thanin Food,and Warorot miscellaneous,( I got my catapault there), lots of good cheap clothes, - 99baht for a really good tee shirt-and wonderful wood furniture, but all in a pleasantly expansive environment.

There was also a large football-pitch-sized Stadium which was being prepared for some sort of Concert, maybe Saturday. You could flounce around in a pony and trap at your pleasure or go with the proles on a little train like at the the zoo. Altogether an interesting half days entertainment. It was packed on Friday afternoon so what Saturday will be like is anyon'e guess. Its a big, big Market. And very enjoyable. Its not an Agricultural Fare as far as I could see. I saw no Cowboys.

Have to agre with the above poster went there Friday with the missus and daughter lots of plants and an abundance of different varieties of fruit trees and plants, Farm machinery, food stalls,and car dealerhips, well worth a visit and there is no entrance fee or car park fee

Do you know What time does it open each day,and is on until the 10th as a previos poster said .Thanks

Do you know What time does it open each day,and is on until the 10th as a previos poster said .Thanks

They open each day for selling at around 8 am.... Yes, it is until the 10th. :o

went last night around 8pm. Quite big. Lots of plants and furniture. Good prices. Parking attendant said the fair was open until midnight, but most stalls began closing around 10-10.30pm. Parking was 10 baht (another poster said parking free, but maybe it was free before, or free before 6pm, not sure)

went last night around 8pm. Quite big. Lots of plants and furniture. Good prices. Parking attendant said the fair was open until midnight, but most stalls began closing around 10-10.30pm. Parking was 10 baht (another poster said parking free, but maybe it was free before, or free before 6pm, not sure)

As I didn't go at night I can't say whether or not you'd miss anything in the dark but a great part of the Show were the acres of different vegetable beds all looking wonderfully cultivated, cared for and superbly maintained and displayed. All clearly labeled in Thai. Would that area be lit up, I wonder. You could buy a few at a small stall and question the Growers about techniques. They speak excellent Thai. Then another sea of Marigold Trials showing dozens of different varieties ; again magnificently displayed and a tribute to the standards they must clearly set at Maejo University. This was the truly Agricultural part of their celebrations.

The students have small stalls located at their different Faculties which are dotted all over this vast site ; Engineering, Soil conservation,Worms, etc. all showing one small aspect of cultivation and all eager to explain what they're up to. The Main Convention Hall, in front of you if you arrive by the Main Entrance ( there are about four different entrances) just has a few of these student stalls.

I wasn't really enthusiastic enough in my first post. Its definitely worth visiting. No question. But you do have to wander about exploring the whole site. It would be easy to miss quite a lot. And do try to remember just where you parked the car.You could easily lose it for ever. A compass would be useful to keep track of where the Main Roads are. I even saw three or four small litter bins; all just full. Isn't it amazing how thousands of Thais create just sufficient litter to fill four small bins - AND NO MORE. Very mysterious, even miraculous- like the parable of the fishes in reverse.

And what's going to go on in that Stadium? A rock concert? Thai dancing? It would be good to know. Its a great Campus. Lovely new library. Not to be missed if you are of a curious turn of mind.

Agree with the above.....in the 4 hrs that we were there, we probably only saw 25% of what was there to see, but the crowds and LOUD SPEAKERS wore me down and we had to escape, maybe to return another day before it closes...this time w/o kids and with ear protection.

we went yesterday and paid 10 baht parking and had a long walk from car park. went today parked in different place ( on campus) had less of a walk!! no parking charge

prices higher than nurseries on the outskirts of campus though, presumably uni is charging high rents to stall holders. walking around the campus areas is excellent but the stalls are not good.

We went last night. Agree with the above. Well worth seeing. We are going back tomorrow since we got a late start. If you shop around and bargain, you can walk out of there with some nice plants and fruit trees for almost nothing - like fruit trees for 50 Baht! Didn't find the animals yet but saw some horses and there is also a dog show on Sunday. The campus is really beautiful. Not the run of the mill street vendors either, there is some really unique stuff like New Old Stock 1955 Levis 501's (for 8500 Baht!). The antique cars are nice to see as well.