Rural Isaan

rickthailand

hi guys,

thanks for the reactions. I guess I am not looking to be a recluse. 90% of my friends here are thai and I am very aware of

the fact that i would have to interact with the local community. I am also NOT looking for one night stands. I have stayed in a village

for a few months with a friend and I loved it. I am just wondering if it would be a problem for the thai community. My work is web based

so as long as I have internet I can keep myself busy. As for the 2am noise going to the market that is proberly me :o

thanks again for the info and if anyone has experience with living alone in isaan please let me know.

rick

Out of curiosity Rick.

What drives you to want to live alone in an Isaan village/community?

Not been there yet. I very much want to go to Loei, but that is a trip for another time.

I've lived in Surin, Burriram and now Khorat province.

Back on subject, there is an element of gossiping and racism in rural Thailand. If you don't notice it, it suggests that you can not speak the local language, which I guess is a Thai/Lao combo where you are? ....

To say that Farangs gossip more than Isaan Thai's is just nonsense.

Do you have any idea what is going on around you?

You are spot on, Geek - I do not speak the local language, particularly to the point of knowing if I was being gossiped about. And even if I did, I really couldn't give a rats arse if I was (being gossiped about). However, I do speak English, and I certainly know that the farangs gossip - sometimes to the point of distraction.

Did I say farangs gossip more than Issan Thais - can you please point out where?

Do I have any idea what is going on around me? - to the extent that it affects me and my family, and I can understand, hopefully yes. Otherwise, please refer above re gossip.

Edited by jackspratt

Khun,

I think it was post number 26 - Funnily enough, I haven't noticed the gossiping (except amongst the farangs),

But it is not a problem. Living in Isaan can be great fun. It is even more enjoyable if you learn the language.

Having to depend on a grilfriend or wife to translate Thai into English is a very, very dangerous route to travel. Been there done that. Never again.

To the OP, If you want to live in Isaan as a singular man, learn the language first and enjoy it!!!

Edited by Geekfreaklover

You need to bear in mind that the majority of bg's in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket come from Issan, (it's unfortunate, but common knowledge) so if you're single it depends on what you're looking for!!

Any farangs you're going to meet will be married to an ex b/g. It could make your life a bit limited to the unfortunates you'd meet inthe West to say the least!

But to look on the bright side, if you're GENUINELY not interested in cheap women, you can find a quiet life.

Edited by F1fanatic

I'm quite content living in a small village, BUT, if not for my wife, I'd be headed back to a farang ghetto. I do enjoy my own company but not all the time. I'm also not used to cooking, cleaning and washing my own clothes. No way could I live alone in a small village.

I completely agree Gary.

If, rick, you are planning to rent a house in Isaan then go for it by all means. After a few months you will realise that for the same amount of money you could rent somewhere in Chaing Mai or just outside Bangkok, where the locals are easier to get along with.

The majority of Farang people living in Isaan are NOT living here through choice. It's simply where there girlfriends/boyfriends/wife/husbands are from.

I do have some friends that live a singular life in Isaan, and I have also led a Singular life in rural Isaan. I wouldn't recommend it. The GOSSIP the STARING the IGNORANCE and RACISM will start to affect you after a while.

I do not know why anyone would deliberately come to live here in Buriram unless they had a partner from the area. I hate the fact that I cannot just get what I want when I want it. They don't even have a McDonalds ! Didn't want one but only when they don't have one if you understand !

I do not know why anyone would deliberately come to live here in Buriram unless they had a partner from the area. I hate the fact that I cannot just get what I want when I want it. They don't even have a McDonalds ! Didn't want one but only when they don't have one if you understand !

I doubt that I would settle here alone. But, remember - many people in our respective homelands live in the sticks or hanker for the country life.

I accept that getting Falang food after 10.00 is nigh on impossible but the 7/11 chicken burgers do fill a gap if you are desperate :o

You need to bear in mind that the majority of bg's in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket come from Issan, (it's unfortunate, but common knowledge) so if you're single it depends on what you're looking for!!

Any farangs you're going to meet will be married to an ex b/g. It could make your life a bit limited to the unfortunates you'd meet inthe West to say the least!

But to look on the bright side, if you're GENUINELY not interested in cheap women, you can find a quiet life.

Unfortunates in what sense?

Rick, I live in a small village with my Thai wife and family, I love it, but I am now teaching in a provincial capital and commute home on weekends, I really enjoy living in the town also, but would like to maybe spend 3-4 days there rather than five. I do not speak the language so depend somewhat on my wife in the village. If you speak the language and treat the Thais with respect and kindness and participate in village life, like their street dances, then I think you would get along fine, and probably would have to try hard to stay alone, as all the single or maybe not so single Thai ladies would be interested in you. Issangoerge.

Khun,

I think it was post number 26 - Funnily enough, I haven't noticed the gossiping (except amongst the farangs),

But it is not a problem. Living in Isaan can be great fun. It is even more enjoyable if you learn the language.

Having to depend on a grilfriend or wife to translate Thai into English is a very, very dangerous route to travel. Been there done that. Never again.

To the OP, If you want to live in Isaan as a singular man, learn the language first and enjoy it!!!

Geek, your experiences are not necessarily reflective of everyone else's, and in particular, mine.

Just for clarification - you will note that I said I do not speak the local language. It follows, therefore, that if gossip was occurring, I wouldn't notice it. However, as I speak English, I do notice when the farangs gossip.

Having my wife translate is at times frustrating, but as I trust her (or put it another way, have no reason to distrust her), I don't believe it is dangerous. Again, your comment is a reflection of your particular experience(s), and not universal.

Khun,

Geek, your experiences are not necessarily reflective of everyone else's, and in particular, mine.

Just for clarification - you will note that I said I do not speak the local language. It follows, therefore, that if gossip was occurring, I wouldn't notice it. However, as I speak English, I do notice when the farangs gossip.

Having my wife translate is at times frustrating, but as I trust her (or put it another way, have no reason to distrust her), I don't believe it is dangerous. Again, your comment is a reflection of your particular experience(s), and not universal.

Hi Jack,

Agree 100% with your coment above.

Apart from one bit.

Re the language thing; please explain if you have anything to lose from learning the language? How would learning the language be a disadvantage?

I think that learning the language opens many doors without closing any doors in Isaan.

It is worth doing. You will enjoy the country more if you have a basic understanding of the language. How can you disagree?....

Just friendly advice gathered from experience.

GFL.

My wife's sister and her husband have a small village shop that sells fuel and some food but most of all they sell beer and lao kao. My brother in law is also the village barber. When I go for a haircut I have the local drunks wanting to have a conversation. I really don't like Thai drunks even if I am drunk myself. Even when I do understand, I tell them that I don't speak Thai and leave as soon as possible. I have no desire to have a conversation with them and actually feel fortunate that I don't know what they are saying. Is speaking good Thai an advantage?

I doubt that I would settle here alone. But, remember - many people in our respective homelands live in the sticks or hanker for the country life.

I accept that getting Falang food after 10.00 is nigh on impossible but the 7/11 chicken burgers do fill a gap if you are desperate :o

I know that after living in cities such as London, Frankfurt, Tokyo and Hong Kong that any town, even Bangkok, would be sometimes frustrating to some degree. Pattaya could deliver most anything you wanted 24 hours and I knew Buriram would be way different but I admit, I thought the town rather than her mother's village would be ok but it is not.

The village drives me nuts on day one. Closed at dusk and up at a time when I usually go to bed !

Buriram is just wrong. It is big enough in some respects and yet does not have the facilities to back things up. The diversity is not there and what you have is just not enough for someone like me. I think I can handle it for a few weeks at a time but I could never contemplate living here full time, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I know that after living in cities such as London, Frankfurt, Tokyo and Hong Kong that any town, even Bangkok, would be sometimes frustrating to some degree. Pattaya could deliver most anything you wanted 24 hours and I knew Buriram would be way different but I admit, I thought the town rather than her mother's village would be ok but it is not.

The village drives me nuts on day one. Closed at dusk and up at a time when I usually go to bed !

Buriram is just wrong. It is big enough in some respects and yet does not have the facilities to back things up. The diversity is not there and what you have is just not enough for someone like me. I think I can handle it for a few weeks at a time but I could never contemplate living here full time, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I fully appreciate that different people require different things. I have a friend who believes that there is not enough for a Falang to do in Rayong !

A big factor is what you have been used to and living in capital cities + Pattaya does not equip you for Buriram. I chose to leave Pattaya to live 40 odd kilometres from Buriram 'city' where there is a population of circa 17,000. I find enough to do and I find that I now appreciate Bangkok when we visit. It will be interesting when return to Pattaya for a few days break in February.

I think it is great that you have recognised that you cannot live in Buriram full-time - it means that you can plan to get a balance of the life-styles you need.

I experienced a little of this.

Had to get up at 3.00am to get to the market place early enough to score frsh produce such as bugs and other delicassies.

Get there at 5.00am and most times you'd miss out.

Doing this also showed me another side of Thai life. Early morning joggers, a scene new to me.

I tip my hat.

Edited by rockyysdt

My wife's sister and her husband have a small village shop that sells fuel and some food but most of all they sell beer and lao kao. My brother in law is also the village barber. When I go for a haircut I have the local drunks wanting to have a conversation. I really don't like Thai drunks even if I am drunk myself. Even when I do understand, I tell them that I don't speak Thai and leave as soon as possible. I have no desire to have a conversation with them and actually feel fortunate that I don't know what they are saying. Is speaking good Thai an advantage?

So. Ok. Not being able to speak the language where you live is an advantage because you do not wish to talk to the people where you live.

Sounds to me to be a lonely, sad existance.

So. Ok. Not being able to speak the language where you live is an advantage because you do not wish to talk to the people where you live.

Maybe.But try to have an exchange of opinions,no matter about whatsoever,with the village drunkard.Correction:the village drunkards.

A sad experience! :o

Maybe.But try to have an exchange of opinions,no matter about whatsoever,with the village drunkard.Correction:the village drunkards.

A sad experience! :D

Hang on...., thinking about it......I am the village drunkard!!!

And yes, a sad expereince.

Still better to :o know what the locals are talking about though!