Financial Traders, Bangkok

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Trevor,

I am trading from Phuket (Commodity Spreads and Futures, Currencie, ...). Send me a PM if you are interested.

Regards,

Peter

Hi

I would like to hook-up with fellow traders to discuss trading strategies and methods. I'm currently trading Forex, but have traded US equity indexes, US equity options. Seeking to form a small group in Bangkok to exchange ideas.

Regards

Trevor

Erwin,

which markets do you want to trade? There is no problem to trade any market as long you have reliable internet connection.

Do you have any experience in trading or are you talking about investing?

Peter

Does anyone trade on the Thai SET?

why / why not?

Is it possible online?

Hi yuyi,

It is possible to do some Trading (Gambling) with the SET stocks its just lousy brokerage quality what you get offered.

If you are trading (investing) based on fundamental research than that might be not a problem in case you have your strategy worked out properly.

But for technical Trading (charting based) I couldn't get pursuaded of the available features.

If there would be more professional tools available the SET and its stocks would be a great market to trade. But seemingly the brokerage firms are quite satisfied with their current number of customers they can rip off.

Regards,

Peter

Read this morning that Tesco (UK supermarkets) is now the 4th biggest investor/company in LOS and are hoping to be No.1....@ £4 Billion.

Always wondered who are the other 3?

Assume ...Thai Air,C.P group,TOT,Carrefour,Thai fags (tobacco...not...)and any of them worth a punt locally.

>>>>> It is possible to do some Trading (Gambling) with the SET stocks its just lousy brokerage quality what you get offered. <<<<<

Yes Peter, it certainly is possible and quite profitable I might add -- capital gains tax-free too. Only 350+ stocks -- a technical trader's dream. The Thai SET is a wonderful playground ..... BUT ... one's got to put in the initial heavy-duty work!

Actually I think the brokerage services are very good -- that is, everything except advice on when/what/why to buy. On this point I agree with you 100%.

I rarely pay attention to what stocks they are touting as there is a constant parade of pumped up stocks daily paraded on their websites.

Its important and absolutely essential to do your own analysis, but there are a number of services that they provide that are quite good.

I'm not a daytrader; a medium-term player both here in LOS and Stateside, but as soon as SHORTING is allowed here (hoping?) I'll quit the Nasdaq. :o:D

Regards

• 2 years later...

i also try to trade the SET, but far from being professional.

I agree with those say that it is difficult, and that the brokerages arent much a help.

I try to trade breakouts in single stocks. However, many time the execution is too slow, and easy to miss a fast move...and since the spread around 1%, i dont find wise to chase them, for the risk at failing.

I find it annoying also, then there isnt any stop-loss, and and cant preset a buy for certain price. not to mention short selling. I talking about internet trading account( i have with KImeng).

On the other side, SET (stocks) seems to have great moves, so the rewards can be great...definately above the bank deposit returns :o

i also try to trade the SET, but far from being professional.

I agree with those say that it is difficult, and that the brokerages arent much a help.

I try to trade breakouts in single stocks. However, many time the execution is too slow, and easy to miss a fast move...and since the spread around 1%, i dont find wise to chase them, for the risk at failing.

I find it annoying also, then there isnt any stop-loss, and and cant preset a buy for certain price. not to mention short selling. I talking about internet trading account( i have with KImeng).

On the other side, SET (stocks) seems to have great moves, so the rewards can be great...definately above the bank deposit returns :o

Analyse and trade from the weekly charts and take breakouts from this time frame. Spread, fills and order types play a minor role therewith and you are not tempted to overtrade. Consumes less time and work, rest is proper MM.

I had some good returns with Options on the Sydney market so i am interested to see how the

new SET50 index options will perform when they start in October. Not sure if the movements

will be enough to make money and we traded American style options in Sydney wheras

these on the SET will be European. But I like the possibilty of making money as the market

declines as well as increases. :o