That Old Film Look

The Vulcan

I'm a bit fed-up with the clinically clean, crisp and downright plastic look of digital images so I've been messing about trying to re-create the old film look from my digital files. You know, the grainy, gritty atmospheric look that we used to get from 35mm

Like my HDR experiment I'm still at an early stage but wonder what you think about the attached?

Your criticisms would be most welcome

EOS 5D 17-40L @640asa and a lot of Photoshop/Capture One messing about

Edited by The Vulcan

I'm a bit fed-up with the clinically clean, crisp and downright plastic look of digital images so I've been messing about trying to re-create the old film look from my digital files. You know, the grainy, gritty atmospheric look that we used to get from 35mm

Like my HDR experiment I'm still at an early stage but wonder what you think about the attached?

Your criticisms would be most welcome

EOS 5D 17-40L @640asa and a lot of Photoshop/Capture One messing about

IMO it's in the opposite direction of the old film look, if anything it has an over-processed look to it.

Interesting that someone with a high end camera like 5D would find there be be something missing compared to film. I've been quite disastified with my photography since I went over to a DSLR, I'm thinking that when I retire and have lots of time on my hands that I might buy back my old F100 and go back to basics.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I was actually trying to "marry" it with the attached which is in fact a straight, unmanipulated scan from a 35mm Velvia slide with a Leica SL and 50mm planar.

However I see your comments ref over processing which is appreciated

Edited by The Vulcan

I was actually trying to "marry" it with the attached which is in fact a straight, unmanipulated scan from a 35mm Velvia slide with a Leica SL and 50mm planar.

Quite different lighting conditions between those two scenes so it's hard to pinpoint what blows the effect of the digital image. For one thing, the out-of-focus highlights in the background on the first image have something funky going, my initial impression without first looking at the description of what type of equipment you used is that the image either had a lot of jpeg compression artifacts or the lens had really wierd bokeh. The infocus areas, on the other hand, have a "photoshop unsharp mask look" as opposed to an optically sharp look. The second image doesn't have the strong highlight in the background as does the first, and might not actually be sharper than the first image by objective measures. but it comes off as being a much more natural rendering of the scene. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Quite different lighting conditions between those two scenes so it's hard to pinpoint what blows the effect of the digital image. For one thing, the out-of-focus highlights in the background on the first image have something funky going, my initial impression without first looking at the description of what type of equipment you used is that the image either had a lot of jpeg compression artifacts or the lens had really wierd bokeh. The infocus areas, on the other hand, have a "photoshop unsharp mask look" as opposed to an optically sharp look. The second image doesn't have the strong highlight in the background as does the first, and might not actually be sharper than the first image by objective measures. but it comes off as being a much more natural rendering of the scene. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your efforts and input - very much appreciated.

Back to the drawing board I guess :o

Interesting that someone with a high end camera like 5D would find there be be something missing compared to film. I've been quite disastified with my photography since I went over to a DSLR, I'm thinking that when I retire and have lots of time on my hands that I might buy back my old F100 and go back to basics.

Forgot to comment on this.

That's the point though with my "messing about". I'm currently using MF film but it would be nice if I could replicate the film look with the ease and immediacy of digital via the 5D.

As I'm retired I'll persist :o

I know you're playing with color shots but I really like the Nik software Silver Efex it creates great BW, you can select the film type you want to use. E.g. Kodak Tmax 100 or what have you, instead of distorting the image with a grid like thing it really makes truly the look of the film type. Great for BW but I never tried anything for color, I like the modern crystal sharp digital images in color to be honest, but BW I prefer the "old" look.

Cheers Bard