One Week In Bangkok - Bringing My 23yo Daughter

peter991

Hi there all. I have been travelling between Australia and Thailand for the last 6 years. I've spent most of that time in either Pattaya or Issan. Early next year I have to have a major hernia operation and will be off work for 6 weeks. It's too big to be done via the 'keyhole' method - hence the amount of time off. I am planning on coming to Thailand 4 weeks after the operation and spending a week in Bangkok. I will also bring my 23yo daughter, who hasn't been out of Australia, with me.

We will be staying close to Chatuchak - so a visit to the Chatuchak Weekend Market is a must. Other than that, I was thinking of the following places:

1) Bangkok Dinner River Cruise

2) Bangkok Siam Niramit

3) The Grand Palace and

4) Floating Market

5) Dream World

6) Possibly Safari World, Siam Ocean World and Sampran Elephant Ground and Zoo.

We will be by ourselves in the daytime, Monday to Friday and I will have my Thai friend in the evenings and on the weekend.

I don't want to travel too far from base as medically I won't be 100%. Any other suggestions of places to visit welcomes by Bankokians.

Peter

Bangkok Butterfly Garden and Insectarium- Free admission, near Railway Park Chatuchak 02272 4359

Bangkok Sky Restaurant, Bayoke Hotel, top floor to take photos of the city. 222 Rajaprarop rd 02656 3000.

Weekday buffet B300, to get a complimentary pass to the revolving roof deck.  (You used to be able to go to the top as long as you bought a drink so ring and check first if you dont want to eat there.)

Patpong Night Market

Cultural Centre - check website for any shows or performances of interest

Movie Theatre - such as SF Cinemas. www.sfcinemacity.com and buy luxury seat tickets.

Muay Thai - boxing match - Lumpini Stadium 0-2251-4303

MBK, Emporium, Siam Paragon, Zen - with Dad's credit card.

Suan Luam night market also good.

Thai Cooking Class (1/2 day) - Baipai Cooking School (Rama 4). They will pick up from hotel. Maybe able to arrange a pick up location from one of the hotels a bit closer to city. 

Massage and Day Spa, Facial; Manicure and pedicure close to where you are staying. Probably cheaper too than centre of town.  

Check daily X-Press Magazine on line (Nation) for happening events (store sales, current gallery exhibitions etc.) Can pick this up for free in a lot of the coffee shops in the city.

Your daughter may like to log on to Face Book (Farang Girls in Bangkok) to see what social meet ups might be on in the evening. Also check ladies forum Thaivisa.

Although her first trip from home country, once she is confident on the Skytrain system, carries a map and mobile, she will be fine if the two of you get seperated. Have fun and wish you a quick recovery from your op!

If she is a normal 23 year old then she is going to want to go out at night. Either you take her or let her explore. Only you and she can judge how she would cope with Bangkok at night.

One set of temples is enough. Boring after that. Wat Po probably of most interest for 15 minutes.

Something to do with the river is a must. Even if just a trip from Saphan Taksin on the Marriott boat to have lunch or dinner. Dinner cruises are overrated IMHO and often with crap overpriced food.

Massage and or spa is sure to be a hit.

Really hard to offer much else because we don't know her. At 23 I'd lived on different continents and had been to Bangkok without a second thought but if she is from a small town then Bangkok will overwhelm her just as Tokyo did to me on my first visit.

Dreamworld? What the hel_l for? It's pretty weak as an attraction and even an amusement park like Ocean Park in Hong Kong is much better (and I've still seen a few better). I'm sure you have much better amusement parks in Australia. This is not a must see. It's a must not see.

Anyway, since you asked....Give it a miss. It's not for tourists, it's for residents. Many other things way up higher on the list for a brand new tourist like your daughter to see. In fact, this is not even on the list. It's under it, buried in the ground. Am I making myself clear? :o

Hi there all. I have been travelling between Australia and Thailand for the last 6 years. I've spent most of that time in either Pattaya or Issan. Early next year I have to have a major hernia operation and will be off work for 6 weeks. It's too big to be done via the 'keyhole' method - hence the amount of time off. I am planning on coming to Thailand 4 weeks after the operation and spending a week in Bangkok. I will also bring my 23yo daughter, who hasn't been out of Australia, with me.

We will be staying close to Chatuchak - so a visit to the Chatuchak Weekend Market is a must. Other than that, I was thinking of the following places:

1) Bangkok Dinner River Cruise

2) Bangkok Siam Niramit

3) The Grand Palace and

4) Floating Market

5) Dream World

6) Possibly Safari World, Siam Ocean World and Sampran Elephant Ground and Zoo.

We will be by ourselves in the daytime, Monday to Friday and I will have my Thai friend in the evenings and on the weekend.

I don't want to travel too far from base as medically I won't be 100%. Any other suggestions of places to visit welcomes by Bankokians.

Peter

I highly recommend the DUSIT zoo. I was just there in December. Very cheap entry fee and well worth it. Well shaded and quiet. The Grand Palace is OK but the grounds are very large and gets hot in the afternoon in the sun. I found the central temple inside Wat PO to be nice along with the giant reclining buddha. Carpeted floor and one lovely buddha in the main temple. A nice room to relax in.

The National museum is closed on Monday and Tuesday. Might be worth it if cultural things are of interest to you.

Ticket for Grand Palace also gets you entry at Vianmasek Teak mansion. I didn't go, but might be worth a stop in.

Get her a day ticket on the BTS Skytrain and let her roam. Easy, pretty clean, and air conditioned. Victory monument is OK. Several tourist maps show places near the Skytrain routes. Cheap and a good way to cut across a lot of the city.

Edited by gk10002000

2. Klong/Canal long tail boat trip

Where would one find the most reasonable prices for a long tail boat hire? How much would one expect to pay?

Try tra-pa-jan pier, it is a bit south of Thamasat University just before the big Coffee World. Rate depends on time, but 5-700 baht for tour.

Ticket for Grand Palace also gets you entry at Vianmasek Teak mansion. I didn't go, but might be worth a stop in.

If she likes architecture and/or beautiful furniture, you definitely have to take her to Vinmanmek Mansion. It will only cost you the taxi if you already go to see Wat Pra Kaeo (same ticket for both). The (free) guided visit in english is quite good, and the place is amazing.

Good luck with your surgery.

Did the same for my sister, if your not 100%, like people watching, then sit down at a pavement bar in Khao San Road, A marvellous experience............ it's very busy, a lot of t of backpackers look to find bargains etc.....!!! :o